Starting a journal...Where to begin?

I am interested in hearing if anyone on this forum keeps a daily journal or thoughts, issues, life struggles, goals etc? I am new to the whole keeping a journal thing, but just wondering how I can get started on one and keep myself motivated enough to keep it up on a daily bases.

I think it's great that you're thinking of starting a journal, it's so theraputic.

What I do for my journal is I figure it's for ME only, and I set the rules. So, my rules are that I don't feel obligated to write in it, but I write in it as much as I want to whenever I want to. I set aside special time when I'm really happy or facing a struggle to straighten out my thoughts. I swear, I tell my embarrassing feelings and thoughts on things and I get it all out--all the stuff I'd never tell anyone. It's like the perfect friend--it never tells, it's there when you need it and not there when you don't and it helps you straighten things out and never offers unwanted advice:)

So, I suggest that you set some rules that work for YOU, buy a journal that fits who you are, get a pen, find a comfy place to write and go for it!

2SidestoStories

I have been keeping diaries/journals since I was eight years old. I would have to say that during high school was the single most intensive time I spent writing in any of them. I have some of the worst poetry collected in the pages of those journals, it now makes me laugh hysterically!

The best thing to do is realize definitely that your journal is for Y O U. You may choose to share some things that are in it, for example if you happen to have some really great thoughts about life in general, and know someone else who might appreciate those same great thoughts; the best part is that you have a written record of those great thoughts (or not so great once you get them down on paper :p!) and so might have an easier time communicating them to your friends or whomever. IF you even choose to ever go that route.

Often finding the time is the single most difficult excuse to overcome. Make the time, even if its five minutes here or ten there. I found that when I was first writing my diary in third grade, it was easiest to write to a supposed audience of one, not unlike writing a letter to my closest friend. Since then, I've gotten a great deal less formal about the whole thing, but that was, for me, a perfect beginning point.

I wish you luck on your journaling venture! :D

I've had diaries and journals periodically since I was a kid. I still have them all. Once I started getting into spiritual stuff, I wrote quite a bit and, of course, there's the obligatory pourings-out of the soul over loves. I reread many of them recently; I do so every now and then because it reminds me of my spiritual journey and things I'm supposed to be keeping in mind.

Another way to do it would be to create an online journal. There are many sites out there. You could keep it private or let others read you. Its great to be able to be anonymous and get a person you will never meet's opinion.

• Author

Thanks to all that replied. Did not expect all the replies, really appreciate it. Anywho, as far as the journaling thing goes, I think it will help my mental state, and just be a good way of keep writing. THank you. Okay, to the people who do the journal thing, has it improved on your mental state whether it is helping with depression or just to straighten out your overall life. Not sure if that makes sense, but looking forward to hearing your replies. THanks again.

just take a pen and start writing whatever comes to mind ... i find that enjoyable, relieving, and fun... and you get to laugh at yourself when you read it later =)

journals are great, but i find that keeping one all the time is bothersome because you feel like it should be continous, like an auto-biography... so instead, i think it's better to keep a "journal of rants" or "book of moods".

have fun,

-yes

If I may be somewhat presumptuous, are you going through a difficult personal period in your life? If you are, the journal may well prove your most valuable resource for understanding and healing.

It is a place where you can TRULY be yourself. The only person you are in there to impress is yourself. It's a place to rant, to rave, to cry, to laugh and to dream. You can question God in one paragraph and praise him the next page over. You can dump your cares, worries and sadness onto the pages and they won't fade as a memory nor evolve into something else entirely.

The best place to start a journal is at the beginning (whatever you decide that to be!). If you want to begin at birth, so be it. If you want to write a movie review, no problem!! You will soon discover passions and strengths you never knew existed and will be the better person for it.

I would recommend not going back to reread your work right away - give the words a chance to sink in, then go back to glean any additional insights. Soon your journal will become a living entity and perchance a best friend. The best of luck to you...