Tanning..from the sun?

How many times a week and for how long would I have to sit in the sun to get a nice tan? Also, what sunscreens and tips do you recommend/have? Thanks!

it TOTALLY depends on your skin type! don't listen to what works best for people - their skin ain't your skin.

one general tip: if you're pale-skinned, you need more protection b/c you may burn more easily.

happy tanning!

-yes

[color=green][/color]

Why would you want to sit out in the sun... (where there's a lot of risks involved--ie. skin cancer) ; while instead you could do some other outdoor activity such as biking, volleyball, or whatever.. and perhaps get some 'natural' color. In otherwords, when you plan to go outdoors 4 a period of time.. you SHOULD put some type of sun screen on.. And, from here** is when some color will start to prevail ( where it won't aik you the next day, or in a hot shower).

Just my previous experiences from the sun.. :confused:

Being a skin cancer survivor myself (basal cell carcinoma), my days of sunbathing are over; and I hadn't really sunbathed in years. Keep in mind that it can show up years later after damaging your skin. I never thought it would happen to me, but it did. Luckily, basal cell is easily cured by surgery. My brother had melanoma and he's fine, but does need biopsies of moles occasionally and sees an oncologist several times a year. The both of us were diagnosed within months of each other...how weird is that? We both had a big wakeup call at the same time. No more fun in the sun without sunscreen daily.

• Author

Okay so are you saying to stay out of the sun completely for tanning? Or to wear sunscreen and then be in the sun? What other ways are there to tan that are good for skin?

Basically, there is no such thing as a good tan. Tanning and most wrinkles on the face are due to the reaction to damage done to your skin; the largest organ of your body. Some people have more melatonin in their skin, so they tan easier than someone who is fairskinned and doesn't have as much and that's why they burn.

It's your choice to sunbathe, of course; but I certainly would use a sunscreen with at least an SPF of 15, if not more.

Sunless tanning lotion!

There's a really cool thing they do now where you go to a tanning salon and they spray you with sunless tanning lotion. The results are very good...