social anxiety

I am very shy, self-conscious and uncomfortable around people. This started recently after a period of trauma and abuse in my life. I cannot look people in the eyes, I am always very sad, always feel tension no matter where I am and what I do. I do look good and anywhere I go men stare at me and start to whistle and make comments, that makes me feel even more uncomfortable and anxious. I guess it is some sort of social anxiety, soon I will be afraid to leave the house. I seem to be getting worse, if somebody can help me with any advice, I would appreciate it greatly, thank you.

Hi,

I can relate to your post because I used to be like that. I also used to have panic attacks which made me avoid certain situations. You need to see a doctor who may prescribe anti-depressants because they can help with depression or anxiety and it sounds like you are suffering from one or both. You may benefit from seeing a counsellor too to find out more how to get over it.

If you don't want to try pills then how about herbal anti depressants like St. John's Wort?

It's hard to advise from the few words you have written. You say you started feeling like this recently after some trauma and abuse? If you can be more specific it may help us to help you but I would strongly suggest seeing a doctor first off.

To add, men showing their appreciation of you CAN be uncomfortable but you should use it to give you confidence. That's what I do.

Take Care.