On meds for anxiety.

Nikki Sahagin

So I finally forced myself back to my doctor, despite having about three panic attacks on the way, and he has prescribed me two different types of meds, diazepam for short term relief and Citalopram for long term relief. Does anyone have any experience of either of these medications?

I'm proud of myself for taking this step! I never wanted to end up on meds but I know its the right choice for me - I just wasn't coping, wasn't living. Day one on diazepam and I already feel much better.

Have been prescribed both!:o

Doc told me only to take diazepam if I was really rock bottom as it could easily become addictive. Found citalopram was good at calming my anxiety but you need to know that it takes a couple of weeks to work so don't expect an overnight change!

Whatever you take, try and get some counselling too, as meds are not a magic solution. Good luck!;)

have not ever been on anxiety control meds, but definitely have been prescribed anti-depressants, and I can tell you what a HUGE difference the Wellbutrin has made in helping me through the bad funks I went through when my folks died because of the stress I was under.

I think it's fantastic that you've found a good match thus far with the first med you've taken, because I understand it's all pretty much a hit-or-miss kind of thing, depending on your body chemistry.

hope you continue to see positive results with the meds so that you're back in control of your life (and the damned anxiety) :love:

• Author
Nikki Sahagin
Have been prescribed both!:o

Doc told me only to take diazepam if I was really rock bottom as it could easily become addictive. Found citalopram was good at calming my anxiety but you need to know that it takes a couple of weeks to work so don't expect an overnight change!

Whatever you take, try and get some counselling too, as meds are not a magic solution. Good luck!;)

Heyyyy worlybear, haven't seen you on here in a while!

Yes, the diazepam is very addictive, but i'm not really an addictive type so hopefully i'll be fine. I definitely need it as I did hit rock bottom; was crying all day and panicking all day - was awful :eek: and then I sank into my 'woe is me, why was I born with this curse over me?' I was even panicking and crying over going to the doctors, like I became a little child again.

I am definitely going to try to take care of the issue outside of the meds; maybe with diet and exercise and relaxation etc. As I know this is a real problem that requires my full committment.

How did the meds work for you?

• Author
Nikki Sahagin
have not ever been on anxiety control meds, but definitely have been prescribed anti-depressants, and I can tell you what a HUGE difference the Wellbutrin has made in helping me through the bad funks I went through when my folks died because of the stress I was under.

I think it's fantastic that you've found a good match thus far with the first med you've taken, because I understand it's all pretty much a hit-or-miss kind of thing, depending on your body chemistry.

hope you continue to see positive results with the meds so that you're back in control of your life (and the damned anxiety) :love:

Hey Quank, thankyou very much, how sweet! :):love:

• Author
Nikki Sahagin
I tried Citalopram but I was a bit of an emotionless robot who couldn't come.

Haha, I have no worries about that at the moment as i'm not having any sex (boo). Hmmm...interesting. One of the side effects is loss of libido. I wonder how many lost libidos can be put down to medications.

• Author
Nikki Sahagin
How old are you.

21. But I have suffered with anxiety since I was about 5, and had panic attacks since about 13. Only now am I going on meds.

Ahh I suffered from Anxiety when I was about 13/14 too.. This started with my schooling though - They wouldn't prescribe me with meds because of my age, however the panic attacks, vomiting was very bad.. I had to face my problems with school, and eventually I got over it.. I hope you are as lucky as I am and get through it, best of luck to you..