My career and life have become almost one and the same over the past 5 years. Divorce almost final. Moved to a new town, same career field.

New Hobby: I am transporting dogs from kill shelters all over the country to no kill shelters in the east and Canada!!

I have always done a fair amount of volunteer work, especially with my daughter who is now 14. But it has always had more to do with fund raising (which is a good thing) but I wanted something more hands on.

My work requires me to be all over the state, and I usually drive so this was perfect. I pick up 2 dogs in say...buffalo or Rochester and drop them off in Albany,etc. Its a relay.

Ive only done twice so far and I love the way it made me feel.

Its funny because I have all of my life been nearly phobic afraid of dogs.

laRubiaBonita

what a great way to contribute back to our furry friends! :bunny::bunny:

i bet you could also get donations for gas/ lodging/ food/ etc.... when you are transporting!

what a great activity for you and your daughter to share in... and it is very cool that you have an emphatic love for dogs and not a terrorizing fear!

***pat on the back for you and your daughter!****:love:

• Author

I must admit its the first thing Ive been excited about in a long time. I felt real joy while doing it and loved the way my daughter responded.

I even kept 2 overnight and let one sleep in my bed.

LOL. The times they are a changin

Do you know how much I admire you for doing this?

I just shelled out $80 to FedEx to ship a doggie wheelchair cart to the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah as a donation. So I totally get where you are coming from.

There are all kinds of organizations that are bringing the "Dixie Dogs" up North for adoption.

There is a great need for these services and you are doing an admirable thing!

Hey 2Sure!

Kudos to you!

Not only for doing something noble.....

but also for facing one of your fears head-on.That's fantastic!:bunny:

I'm glad to hear you're getting yourself into a good place, especially after all the crap you went through this past year.

I firmly believe that spending time with animals can be very healing...and it's great that you can share this with your daughter.

all my best~~FS

• Author

Thank you all so much, to tell the truth I appreciate the encouragement. My close friends and family are thnking this is pretty far removed from my usual stuff . They are right, but I like thats is so far removed ....even my daughter said: In YOUR New Car????? Your gonna let them sleep in the HOUSE???

I told her: Hey, its just us now. Its our house. We can do whatever the hell we want."

I'm really proud of you for finding something totally outside the box as a hobby, especially hearing how afraid you'd been of dogs. This is a huge step in mental emancipation. And for the dogs and their rescuers? You are a true God-send.

keep on truckin', 2sure – and have as much fun as you can along the way.

though I imagine next, we'll be hearing about the brown-eyed beauty you've fallen in love with and have decided to adopt ... they steal your heart sometimes :love:

laRubiaBonita

though I imagine next, we'll be hearing about the brown-eyed beauty you've fallen in love with and have decided to adopt ... they steal your heart sometimes :love:

.... or three, cause how can you pick just one!

OMG, I read: "Found a new hubby!" "Wow, that was fast", I thought! Too funny!

Anyway, I say sometimes better a hobby than a hubby! You sound like you' ve got your life back under control and and all systems are go! It can only get better from here, 2sure! Amazing hobby, amazing woman!

.... or three, cause how can you pick just one!

That's what I was thinking. Next thing you know there will be a new shelter opening: 2sure4fur. This is what happens with labors of love. They grow.

OMG, I read: "Found a new hubby!" "Wow, that was fast", I thought! Too funny!

I read hobby but still wondered who :laugh:

2sure.. you are a better person than I.. or most...

What a wonderful thing to be doing with your extra time...

A bell just rang...

I read hobby but still wondered who :laugh:

Haha! It's comforting to know I'm not the only one going bonkers!!:laugh::laugh:

• Author

Small update: Shhh. I have a 10lb Beagle hidden in my office. She was in transport this weekend, some stupid breeder trying to make teacup beagles and she was too big. She has been terrorized. I couldnt send her on to another shelter, even tho they are no kill, she is so afraid of other dogs, so bullied. So, I guess I stole her? She doesnt make a sound.

And its funny because this is a new office, new org. for me. I am not required to be "in' much.

I have a "closed door" policy and the typical reputation that goes with that. They would never ever believe I have an itsy bitsy little love puppy hidden in here with me.

I have no idea what I'm going to do next.

melodymatters

That is WONDERFUL 2sure ! What you are going to do is adopt that little beagle pronto !

Have you heard of Helping hounds in Syracuse ? They bring hounds from the south up here for adoption and MY daughter and I have been walking them !

It definitley does help with perspective and healing. You and I both went through big changes, moved back to our home towns and are volunteering with dogs ! If you ever drop any this way lets meet up for a drink !

laRubiaBonita
Small update: Shhh. I have a 10lb Beagle hidden in my office. She was in transport this weekend, some stupid breeder trying to make teacup beagles and she was too big. She has been terrorized. I couldnt send her on to another shelter, even tho they are no kill, she is so afraid of other dogs, so bullied. So, I guess I stole her? She doesnt make a sound.

And its funny because this is a new office, new org. for me. I am not required to be "in' much.

I have a "closed door" policy and the typical reputation that goes with that. They would never ever believe I have an itsy bitsy little love puppy hidden in here with me.

I have no idea what I'm going to do next.

:love::love: hahahaha... and it starts! :laugh::bunny:

GorillaTheater
:love::love: hahahaha... and it starts! :laugh::bunny:

2sure the Dog Lady!

I love beagles. Friendly, happy, loads of personality.

If it just wasn't for the fact they're such escape artists. We're watching a friend's beagle until Thursday. I just KNOW that dog's going to go for a long one-way walk and they'll never speak to us again.

I didn't see this thread until now. 2sure, this is wonderful! Dogs are the best things on earth if you ask me. They never ever ask for much, but they give so much in return. They just want to love you. I can't have children, so I have dogs. I can't complain.

This has inspired me. There's a no-kill shelter not too far from where I live. In the past, I've just thrown some cash their way, and that was it. I think I will give them a call and see if they need any volunteer help.