Feeling spaced and indifferent to the world...

I could say that I have a pretty good life...I am 19, studying a subject I love at a great university, have a great family and good friends. But over the past few months I've been feeling really weird walking around the place and just not feeling quite in touch with what I'm doing...like I'm on autopilot or drunk half the time. It gets worse when I don't get enough sleep. I daydream way too much and can't concentrate for very long periods too.

I also feel emotionally disconnected from many things. I feel as though I should have strong emotions with things one way or another but I'm just not feeling anything like that, for instance when my mum sat me down and said she was considering leaving my dad, my first reaction was 'don't get me involved', or when she said that we might have to get rid of our dogs because they fight alot, I just didn't have an opinion on it, even though I enjoy having our dogs in the house.

I don't know whether this is linked to anything...I tend to be slightly clueless when it comes to noticing interest from a woman and have been having trouble converting them into partners which has been pissing me off recently, but the spaciness has been around for a good while. Should I see a doctor, or should I just change small things in my life?

I should also add that I occasionally have short term memory issues, as in not remembering what was said 5-10 secs ago...this has been worrying me too.

Edited by craig841
  • Author
The fact alone that you've been experiencing short term memory loss suggests you need to get to a doctor pronto.

Seeing one on Monday. It's strange...my long term memory is as good as it has ever been and is perfectly intact, but short term is occasionally hilariously bad. Talked to several people and they said maybe I'm stressed...but I haven't done much that could be considered stressful recently.