All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy...all work and no play...WRITER'S BLOCK!

always_searching

Okay, so though this may be better suited for the "Rants" or "Water Cooler" section, I'm placing it under "Personal Well-Being," because if I don't get over this writer's block, my personal well-being is going to go to $hit!

I am usually a very capable writer--I'm not saying I am that good, but that I am able to churn out pages of sufficient material on any given subject of my interest. I use to be able to write 20 pages of decent material--not great, or even good necessarily, but decent--in one night. Now I have three papers due in three weeks, and I haven't started one of them, and not for lack of trying.

I am so concerned with other things (i.e. what I'm going to do with my life after I graduate; the shambles that my spiritual life is in; being alone; not knowing my vocation, etc.) that I'm unable to focus on what needs to be presently done. So, I sit down at my computer and stare at the screen. When I'm unable to produce anything worthwhile, I start just typing--you know, to get my creative-juices flowing. Again, nothing worthwhile. I stare some more until I finally crack and come to loveshack, check my facebook, email, etc.

I'm losing my mind. I've been like this for weeks. I don't know what to do. How can I shut my mind off to the cares of my future and worry about what needs to be done at the present moment?

At this rate, this is me in three weeks time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb_Iult5k38

:eek::p

Give me some tips/inspiration, PLEASE!

You are definitely right about your personal well-being going to **** if you don't get out of it. I was in your position (still am) last year and... well, read my threads and see what I walked myself into =)

Maybe I shouldn't have said that--oops.

You should have free access to a counselor at school, so take advantage of that. I was so lost last year that I neglected that option.

deux ex machina

Writer's block sucks.

I'm assuming you know about:

Freewriting

Mindmapping

Bulleting

...and things like that - so I'll just get onto something I've done in the past when I've been in a similar position.

For something you have due on a specific subject, you might try to find some music, movies, or poetry that has something in common - even tangentially - with the subject matter you wish to write about.

What you are trying to do is light that fire so you can some up with something that pulls you out of yourself.

One thing I've found is once you get onto something...after a while it builds on itself.

Take frequent breaks, do something entirely different (physical) during the breaks. But get back to it! ;)

"I have the time I need" is that mantra to use.

Deep breaths! Relax those shoulders! You can do this, you've done it before. :bunny:

• Author
always_searching
Writer's block sucks.

I'm assuming you know about:

Freewriting

Mindmapping

Bulleting

...and things like that - so I'll just get onto something I've done in the past when I've been in a similar position.

For something you have due on a specific subject, you might try to find some music, movies, or poetry that has something in common - even tangentially - with the subject matter you wish to write about.

What you are trying to do is light that fire so you can some up with something that pulls you out of yourself.

One thing I've found is once you get onto something...after a while it builds on itself.

Take frequent breaks, do something entirely different (physical) during the breaks. But get back to it! ;)

"I have the time I need" is that mantra to use.

Deep breaths! Relax those shoulders! You can do this, you've done it before. :bunny:

Thanks for the advice, deux ex machina!

Yeah. Maybe I'm just not being proactive enough. I mean, I'm reading the material and I'm just sort of hoping for inspiration. LOL, that's how it usually works for me: I read, get inspired, and write. I just am freaking out because that method is no longer working! You're right to suggest bulleting, outlining, etc.--maybe I ought to just go back to the basics.

Ugh, the anxiety attacks! I just got over the flu and now I have all this due and nothing accomplished...

*deep breathes*

• Author
always_searching
Watcha writing?

LOL, I'm not sure if I should post it, as I've already disclosed so much information about myself. Haha, with my luck, I'll have people coming up to me at school like, "Oh, hey Always_Searching! How's that paper writing coming along--oh, and by the way, are you still crushing on Dr. X, and have you emailed your father lately?" :eek::o

Hahaha, oh well, why not risk it? I've never been very prudent in that regard:

I'm writing three papers, as I've said. One is a comparison on Kant and von Hildebrand in relation to ethics; another is on what creates biological union between sexual partners that is going to critique the Catholic view that sexual union only occurs between a (naturally born) man and a (naturally born) woman who have vaginal intercourse in favor of the view that biological union occurs with any fluid exchange and the release of "feel good" chemicals such as oxytocin; the last one is on Bonaventure regarding the unitive aspect of marriage (not related to the previous paper).

Oh God, I already regret posting this...:lmao:

if I don't get over this writer's block, my personal well-being is going to go to $hit!

:) Big hugs...I trust it'll come back to you with ample time to spare.

Sometimes I find it's that something ELSE wants to be written, first. Could just be a sentence or couple of paragraphs and, when I give in to that (whatever it turns out to be), the creative juices just naturally start to flow again.

Best of luck.

• Author
always_searching
Gee, I totally wish I had interesting papers like this to write. My own paper is boring me half to death.

Well, I'm glad you find them interesting--I chose the topics! :D

And what is your paper on?

• Author
always_searching
:) Big hugs...I trust it'll come back to you with ample time to spare.

Sometimes I find it's that something ELSE wants to be written, first. Could just be a sentence or couple of paragraphs and, when I give in to that (whatever it turns out to be), the creative juices just naturally start to flow again.

Best of luck.

Thank you.

I hope so. I just have never had this many problems with getting started before! :mad:

Oh, well. I'm sure you're right. I just need to be patient. :)

another is on what creates biological union between sexual partners that is going to critique the Catholic view that sexual union only occurs between a (naturally born) man and a (naturally born) woman who have vaginal intercourse in favor of the view that biological union occurs with any fluid exchange and the release of "feel good" chemicals such as oxytocin

You might google a music professor named David Huron and see what he writes regarding oxytocin release during non sexual activities. I have seen him lecture on the topic. It might not be particularly relevant to your paper but if the writer's block is that bad maybe a different point of view on a similar biological process might help. Good luck. Your papers sound neat.

Writer's block sucks.

Take frequent breaks, do something entirely different (physical) during the breaks. But get back to it!

Tip top advise. I've found this to be true not just in writing, but also designing (my line of work).

Sometimes, you can't just simply wait for that spark of inspiration. You'll just have to do it and in that process, you'll get that great idea - almost as if i had the idea all a long, but had too much information at hand to focus on it. It's not easy though.

deux ex machina
*sings*

Paper due Tuesdayyyy...

Nothing writtennnn...

La, la, de, da...

:bunny::bunny::bunny:

And today is Monday.

I am picturing you locked in your room, making uber-progress on your paper. Just putting the finishing touches on it, in fact.

*cracks whip* :mad:

• Author
always_searching

Haha...well, I have four pages written!

Since I feel an urge to fulfill your image and am now newly inspired by being thrashed (:eek::p), I'm going to get back to work!

It's due at 11am--I'm planning on being up all night. Pray for me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
always_searching

So, I have less than a week left before Christmas Break! Woot-Woot! :p

I have finished one paper--15 pages. Granted, it was not a very good paper, but I got it finished. I turned it in this past Wednesday.

I am currently working on a paper that is due tomorrow by 3:30pm. It has to be around 3,000 words, and I currently have around 1,000.

I have a paper revision due Monday that needs an extra five pages or so added to it.

THEN I have two exams: one Monday afternoon and the other on Wednesday morning--it's easy sailing from there!

At least I've finally got the ball rolling on these damn papers! Geez, it took long enough to get my bum motivated to write these. I've got to work on my procrastination issues...:(:laugh:

deux ex machina

How is it going? :bunny:

Don't make me take out my whip! :p:laugh:

Edited by deux ex machina
Had to add bunny - for the extra motivation factor. Plus, it's cute. :)
  • Author
always_searching
How is it going? :bunny:

Don't make me take out my whip! :p:laugh:

Please, ma'am, my I have another? ;):p

I have one more paper to finish and an exam tomorrow, and then I'm DONE! Thank goodness! This semester has about killed me. I really need time away from school...I want to DO something besides reading and writing. I feel like I might as well be in a convent...I don't DO anything outside of school work!

deux ex machina, thanks for keeping on top of me! The whip really helps...:lmao:

deux ex machina
Please, ma'am, my I have another? ;):p

Don't tempt me. :laugh:

I have one more paper to finish and an exam tomorrow, and then I'm DONE! Thank goodness! This semester has about killed me. I really need time away from school...I want to DO something besides reading and writing. I feel like I might as well be in a convent...I don't DO anything outside of school work!

deux ex machina, thanks for keeping on top of me! The whip really helps...:lmao:

Yes, I'm sure it does.

Haha. You are Catholic, aren't you?* [/joke]

You have until tomorrow! Then you are free to relax. :bunny:

Good luck!

Edited by deux ex machina
* I knew this Catholic guy who always thought he was doing something wrong...long story...