What's wrong with me?

mr_practical

I don't understand why I'm feeling the way I do and I was hoping someone could give me some insight. If I watch a sad movie (a tear-jerker) I will cry. Sometimes even a sappy country song will cause it to happen. It doesn't make sense to me - I'm a relatively normal 44 year old man. My girlfriend told me I might have post traumatic stress as a result of my failed marriage which occured 7 years ago. My relationship with my ex continues to be a source of stress as does my job. I'll do almost anything to avoid a conflict and when I can't avoid one I tend to be very defensive. And while most of the time I'm fairly happy, sometimes I have this underlying sadness that's almost palpable. Maybe I should just stop wathcing movies. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you may suffer a bit of clinical depression, which would respond very well to the appropriate modern medications. See your doctor and describe this to him. Your regular doctor may prescribe an antidepressant to get you out of your funk...or he may refer you to a psychiatrist who may to the same.

It will take a lot more than job stress and a failed marriage to give you post traumatic stress syndrome, unless you woke up in the middle of the night as your ex wife was fixing to cut off something....like your head.

You also need to learn relaxation exercises. You have total control over your mind and the only way your ex or your job can have power over you is if you give it to them. That's not a sensible thing to do.

Tell your girlfriend to be a bit more reserved about making such bold diagnoses of people's psychiatric maladies. Could be that she is frustrated herself that she doesn't affect you in a positive way as much as your previous marriage and your job affect you in a negative way.