Shouldn't have passed my driving test?

Hi everyone,

I recently passed my driving test on my 4th attempt, with much surprise to myself!

The first time i apparantly was going to drive onto a curb as i was looking too much at someone trying to overtake me in my read mirror and the examiner pulled the steering wheel;

the second time there was a cyclist on a fast road and i got too close and the examiner put their foot on the brake as they didnt think i had slowed down enough,

the third time i didnt signal at a roundabout (even though there has been lengthy discussion about this at the test centre, with some students failing for not signalling (we are not taught to as it is a laned roundabout and the route you're taken on does not require you to change lanes) and other students passing and simply being told to perhaps signal at busy times if they feel it necessary for a portion of the roundabout).

So i passed 4th time, in what i felt was quite a bad test, my theory test was going to run out the next day and i was more nervous that i had ever been as i think i was conscious that i HAD to do it this time.

I have had maybe 50 or more lessons, with 3 different instructors (due to moving, and then one of them quitting to have a baby and me needing to find another one) and i just dont feel i am safe on the roads, that i panic if something out of the ordinary happens, and that maybe passing was a fluke as if there had been a cyclist or somebody overtaking me i would have failed again.

I am in the UK, one of my friends has just passed first time and i just feel that its taken me so long to pass that maybe im just a bad driver :( I dont know what to do :(

The Collector

I also passed on my fourth attempt. It still took a good six months before I felt truly comfortable and safe on the roads. It's normal, and probably a good thing, that you are not suddenly supremely confident in your abilities.

There should probably be a 'I've only just passed' plate you could have to tell other drivers that you are still learning the ropes to some extent.

I'm in the UK too.....

You passed your test.

you have a full Licence.

That makes nobody competent, capable and good.

It just means you passed a test.

You're still a novice, but now you need to practice.

If you feel the instructor you just had, prior to your test, was competent and good at teaching you, get him to take you out a few more times, and build your confidence.

I know it's a bit more money, but tackle your fear head on.

I would say I became a competent and confident driver, at least 2 years after passing my test.

but don't worry.

Everyone has to go through this.

You're no exception.

Also, you might like to try:

Practising in a deserted car park, in the evenings, with someone you like and feel comfortable driving next to.

Just going for a ride with a competent driver and seeing how they do it. ask questions!

keep reading the Highway code!

It's there for a reason, and far, too far, too many drivers never pick up a copy once they've passed their test!

keep updating it, because rules do change!

good luck!

I'm sure you'll do just fine.

(But tell me where you live, so I can avoid the roads.....!) :D

Juat kidding!!

There should probably be a 'I've only just passed' plate you could have to tell other drivers that you are still learning the ropes to some extent.

I believe there is.

it's a Green 'A' on a white background, and it stands for 'Amateur'.

It signals to other motorists that you've passed your test, but now - you're really learning the ropes!

Alternatively, you could go for this....

Which I don't think is a bad idea....

Off topic but at my test the guy going before was pulled in front of the driving school and put the car in drive instead of in reverse and crashed into the side of the building(there wasn't one of those barriers that go under the bumper. :eek:

I screwed up my test as well. I was nervous and doing the parking stuff and instead of breaking(I was going like 10mph or so) I just put it right in reverse :eek:. The tester flipped out and starting yelling and screaming but he still passed me :D.

If your not comfortable I would have someone ride with you for the next few weeks.