I know this is not about "work", but I am in school and for me that is considered "work". I am over whelmed with everything and out-of-school life is stressing me out and I don't know what to do...any advice? thanks

Nothing can stress you out unless you allow it to. Learn to pace yourself...and learn not to take life too seriously. It doesn't last all that long. Remember, we're all on a giant ball of dirt called Earth flying through the sky on a big cosmic ride that sooner or later each of us will be asked to get off of. And most will not get a chance for a second ride.

Change your thoughts. You're going to be here for a while. You may as well enjoy yourself. When it's over, it's over.

Enjoy and be grateful for the opportunity for this one, tiny bit of consciousness that allows you to see, feel, taste and smell the roses.

Just remember, when it's all over you'll be stress free. Now, just rejoice in everything that happens...good or bad...because eventually nothing will be happening for you at all six feet under. Not a person in the cemetary is having much of a good time right now.

HokeyReligions

Work, School, social commitments - it doesn't matter. If you are feeling overwhelmed by deadlines and an abundance of projects you will get stressed out.

First, take some time for yourself. You have to take control over your life and that means looking at each demand made of you, individually, and deciding how important it is to you. Don't look at the whole picture.

Get a calendar out and list your deadlines first. Then look at each assignment, project, commitment on an individual basis and determine approximately how long it will take you to complete it, and list out what you need to complete each step along the way.

Then assign priorities to the list of demands and work on one at a time.

Once you have checked off your first items on your list you will feel in control.

Review your list of things to do every day at the same time. Schedule time to do this. Put that on your list

#1 Spend 30 minutes reviewing and updating my list of things to do.

When you have reviewed your projects and reordered them, or added/deleted some, check off #1. There, you have already accomplished something. :)

When you break down all the things that you have to do, into smaller individual tasks, they stop overwhelming you. You become in control.

You need to set some goals too and list what is important to you now, what you think will be important to you four weeks from now, six months from now and a year from now. Prioritize the things you have to do. Determine what you may need to give up, or curtail, and for how long. Don't forget to schedule some fun time too! You need time with friends, and time to go out - but you need to schedule it and not wait until you can't take it any more.

http://www.franklincovey.com

I took a time management course eons ago and I've used the tools I learned quite effectively. There is a section for students to help them manage their time also - you might want to find a store near you and pop in for some information. You don't need to spend a lot of money (or any money) to stay organized, but it may give you some ideas on how to structure your own personal time-management system.

Oh, the basic system is to list the projects then group them by date due. Within each date, number the projects in order of importance. Then review those projects again. If you have two (or more) things due at 8:00 am the next morning, decide which is most important, and/or which you can get done first. Assign letters to those. So you end up with a list of projects number 1a, 1b, 2, 3a, 3b, 3c, etc. These change every day when you review them because other things come up, or you finish things, etc. You'll find that things you were frantic about can realistically be pushed ahead until you have finished other projects and you won't have to worry about them.

I did that religiously when I started out, but now I have a good handle on managing my time and just have to list out the projects and estimated completion time.