Paxil, anyone take this?

Hello,

I am new here. What a great web site - I love the variety of topics. :)

Well I have an anxiety disorder and I am 35 now and this started when I was 22-23 years old. It got WAAAY out of control this year. I am pretty much homebound right now. I can go out for rides and walks and to the stores, but I MUST be VERY close to the door in a store and NEVER be alone. My husband has stage four lung cancer (just DX in April of this year - very suddenly, he had no symptoms) and he is dying and we had to sell our home and had to go back to renting. :o He is too too ill to work. I work, but inside the home. I have a candle company and I make my own hand poured all-natural wax candles...it pays the bills thank God and I LOVE doing it...but it will never be as it was when he worked full time w/benefits...I lost my health insurance too and I am trying to purchase it but I keep getting denied as my paps are abnormal...I cannot win! :(

So...tonight I sit here on Christmas Eve - alone - as I COULD NOT GO to my in-law's and tomorrow I am to go to my parent's...I won't do it. I have been threatened to be disowned if I don't attend - well it looks as if I will be disowned. :( I WANT to go but the anxiety is SOOO intense it is preventing me from going and I LOVE life and I LOVE people and this condition just stinks! :p

I have tried to educate my family on this condition and they don't care to get educated, instead, I am pressured to 'SNAP OUT OF IT'...well don't they "see" if I COULD I most certainly WOULD? :(

Anxiety disorder is an illness, just as diabetes is an illness. Just because I "look healthy" does not mean I am not suffering...but no one understands me...

I have been on xanax for YEARS...I am supposed to be on Paxil...but I am TERRIFIED TO TAKE IT...but EVERYONE TELLS ME TO TAKE IT - EVERYONE...my doctors, my parent's, my husband, my other family members, and my friends. I have a 10 mg tablet broken up into four pieces and my doctor said just take ONE little sliver a day as a start. I am SCARED TO DEATH it will make me worse. I already have SEVERE anxiety, daily panic attacks, depression, lightheadedness, etc.

So has anyone here taken Paxil and if so, does it do what it says it will do? It states it will give one, basically, their life BACK by ridding one of the crippling anxiety and panic attacks...

Merry Christmas,

Michie

Dear Michie,

First let me say, I am so sorry for all that you and your hubby are going through. May God bless you !!!

As for Paxil, I do know that it is the 'drug of choice' for people w/ anxiety/panic disorders/social phobia. As with any med, each person who takes it, their experience with it (including side effects) can vary. I've heard so very many people do wonderfully on it, some experience side effects that pass over a couple of weeks, and some have to stop taking it DUE to the side effects not subsiding.

I believe Paxil (the drug company who makes it) has a website that gives more info on this med (everything you'd want to know): Paxil Information click here

I'm sure your doctor did not prescribe it hastily....he obviously felt it would be helpful to you. It does work very very well for a lot of people in your shoes.

Keep in mind, though..that if you do start taking it, it can take up to 6 weeks for it to be fully working (so don't expect dramatic effects overnight).

It can cause one to feel a little groggy/tired...to many people will take it at bedtime, to help them sleep (versus in the morning).....early in the evening..so that there's less risk of feeling groggy in the early morning.

There are probably a lot of Online Support Forums for people who suffer from anxiety disorder/social phobias, etc. Try doing a search on Google: click here and in the search box, type in: Anxiety Disorder Support Group.... or Anxiety Disorder Message Board (etc). Might be helpful if you can correspond with others who are dealing with this first hand. :)

Also, if you do decide to start the Paxil, make sure you don't later decide to stop it "abruptly"......particularly if you've been taking it for a week or more...as stopping it suddenly can cause a person to have MAJOR side effects from it...so it should be very gradually stopped (weaned off of it)......unfortunately, some docs don't tell patients this. If you have any questions about this med, you can always call your local pharmacist......and they'll be happy to give you information on side effects, etc.

As for feeling obligated to visit with the inlaws/your family, you do what you feel you can do, and nothing more. It's a shame when family don't 'understand'...I have family like that, too. Years ago when I was going through a rough patch (depression), hell, even when I was a teen in high school and having severe monthly PMS, my lovely Mom would just angrily say to me "oh just grow up and snap out of it, it's all in your head." (things to that effect).

I'm now dealing with having to have 2 lumps in my breast biopsied in february, and once again, Mom is her usual "why do they need to be biopsied? Why are you just looking for trouble?"

*sigh*

You have to put yourself first here, for your sake and your husband's sake. If your family don't understand, tough beans for them. That is their problem, not yours. Don't let them make you feel guilty or like you're making some kind of excuses. They just don't 'get it', and it's their problem/loss.

Come back here to post any time you need to...okay?

Sending lots of hugs and best wishes.....and Merry Christmas!

Just A Girl

Paxil may or may not help you but it won't cause you the problems you may fear.

Many persons with panic disorder are terrified of getting on new medication but this fear is only part of the anxiety disorder and has no basis in reality. Paxil will not kill you or disable you in any way. It's an anti-depressant that has been found to be very helpful to many persons with phobias, anxiety and panic disorder accompanied by agoraphobia.

I urge you to begin the Paxil...just take a wee bit at a time....and see that nothing awful is going to happen. However, the effects of Paxil will not kick in until a proper blood level has been achieved so you have to take a full prescribed dose daily for two to four weeks before you will begin to feel the positive effects.

You should also ask your doctor about Klonopin. Klonopin is in the Xanax family and is highly effective in blocking panic attacks without giving a person that tired, fatigued feeling that Xanax does. You can keep Xanax around and take it along with Klonopin sometimes when you feel you may need it, as some people think they must feel that tired feeling to venture far away. But Klonopin is very specific to that part of the brain which produces the panic.

There are some people with anxiety who additionally take a beta blocker to slow the heart. Often, the heart may race during highly anxious moments and during panic attacks and the beta blocker, such as Inderal or Tenormin can help the heart retain its normal beat.

There is no magic pill for agoraphobia. You have to engage in systematic desensitization...go out of the house each day...or twice a day...and take just a few steps. Stand there. See that you are NOT going to die. Then next time go out just a little further. Over a period of time, you will extend your comfort zone quite a distance. Once you ralize you are NOT going to die and your medications will prevent any kind of major panic attack, you will be fine. And there has NEVER been any person who has died as a result of a panic attack...even the worst one. They are very unpleasant but never fatal. You will always recover and be fine.

If you start venturing out, the confidence you gain will spill over into other areas of your life and, I promise, you will feel so very much better inside and out once you show yourself you can get through this and expand your horizons.

I can tell you all day that taking all these medications at the same time create no problem for you but it is you who must believe it. I perfectly understand the fears you have and they aren't unusual. But there is simply no reason to opt to die a death every moment of your life in order to avoid an imagined one that won't happen. You will not die or even be affected in any major way with any of these drugs, including Paxil....except to feel better. Paxil has often made people who have had problems for years feel like a brand new human being and I would hate to see you deny that to yourself.

If it makes you feel better, begin taking your medication right at the doctor's office, so if you have difficulties in any way the doctor will be right there to help you. Discuss this with him/her in advance.

It is a shame your family has put this pressue on you but it's my guess that it was your family who contributed to the anxiety in the first place. You will feel loads better once you become very angry with them and express that anger. Many persons with panic and anxiety problems got there by repressing anger and get much better when they express it. Go somewhere, imagine your family in front of you, and scream and shout at them until you feel better.

At some point, you should try to forgive your family for the way they have treated you earlier in life and their attitude toward you now. As far as I am personally concerned, they can all go to hxll. Showing no concern or empathy for your problem is subhuman. They are an ignorant bunch and the only thing you can do is ignore what they say.

Good luck to you. Recovery is just over the horizon.

It will take your body a while to build it up in your system...so don't stop taking it...especially if you start feeling better. ALWAYS take it the right way.

• Author

Hi,

Thank You to all who replied. I appreciate it, ESP on a Holiday. I hope everyone had a nice day today. :)

Well I stayed home today and my husband wanted to go to my parent's so he called them and they never answered their phone! So about six hours later we were desperate for some good food as it is a Holiday afer all - so we called and all the good restaurant's were closed, so we were going to settle for Denny's but my Dad called and told my husband he has tons of homemade food for us and gifts - so my husband went and got it and I called and thanked them and I had sent my gifts over and they thanked me - I told them I am sorry if I caused them any pain by not attending but it is NOT against THEM - it is my illness. I would love to have gone and I am sad now. :( Darn anxiety. :mad:

I am going to give the Paxil a try so deep down I know I did all I could do w/medication. I am only taking 2 mg's a day as I cannot take a whole pill - I am too afraid after all the Paxil horror stories I had read on the Net...YIKES. :eek:

Thank You all and Merry Christmas. :bunny:

Michie

YOU WRITE: "I am too afraid after all the Paxil horror stories I had read on the Net..."

Stop reading all the crap written by amateurs on the net. There is so much garbage your mind cannot comprehend.

Trust your doctor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was on paxil for awhile, but not for anxiety- although depending on my mood stability it may come frequent. Paxil was the second SSRI i took, i did not have a problem with it (side effects wise), but it did not help me...so I went on to zoloft, thne eventually the anti-pychs and mood stabelizers. I took some of the benzos(which xanax is classified as) ...as i might of mentioned before, medicine can only help you, not change you..or your personality, or who you are. They have helped me to the extent of maturing and helping me realize what I was doing wrong for the past few years. I feel so much better about myself. I'm currently on wellbutrin, trileptal and geodon. I think my worst experience with medicine was with Depakote and resperdal, together they made me gain over 100 pounds..slowly I'm losing it though. DAMN THOSE INSURANCE DOCTORS. and also, klonopin..which on the day of my birthday almost made me think of doing the most inhumane act, which I will not get into. So..is paxil right for you? No one can tell you, you can read the facts, but never know. Life is about trying new things, and if worse comes to worse you can stop it. But i'd give it a shot, with all the people i've been in the hospital with that has been on paxil, says they do not have a problem with it. I think with SSRI's (with my experience only) They are not as powerful as the mood stabelizers and anti-pychs and benzos regarding side effects. But as tony said...don't read that bullcrap on the internet about that bogus stuff people say. Talk to your pdoc.

Hope it works out!!

• 2 months later...
kristabelle

I just read your post today, 3/11/2003, and I think you wrote it back in December 2002. I wish I could have responded sooner.

I have been on 20mg of paxil per day for the last 4 years for panic attacks and general anxiety disorder. It has not caused me any major problems. I feel pretty calm all of the time. I don't have a lot of anxiety. Occasionally I have some mild depression.

I am going to try and get off of it, though, because I don't think that I really need it anymore. The only side effects I have had from the paxil are a lower sex drive. I also sleep a lot more than I used to; I feel tired a lot of the time. Also, I feel kind of "numb"; I mean, I don't have a lot of emotional reactions to things. I have never been an over emotional person, so maybe this is not so strange. I feel pretty much the same all of the time.

I am raising a daughter, and I very seldom, if ever, lose my temper with her. It's like I am cool, no matter what (which is kind of weird, actually lol).

I hope you get this message. I think that paxil would do you a lot of good. I am so sorry about all of the problems that you are having in your life.

Let me know if you get this message.

Kristabelle