Low self esteem and confidence

Hi people..first of all im a 23 year old girl.I don't have any confidence in myself and also my self esteem is very low.

Because of my confidence issue i used to struggle at school and now college/work.I find it very hard to go before people and give a public presentation or any of that sort.I shake like anything and often stutter...why is this so?I really envy people who can deliver speeches or presentation beautifully with soo much confidence.

Is there any help for this or does it just go away?

Hi Sisi.

An excellent organization that helps with confidence and public speaking is Toastmasters International -- they have chapters and meetings worldwide so hopefully there is at least one in your area.

Their main site is http://www.toastmasters.org/

Another personal development resource is the free on-line book at http://eqi.org/eqe96_1.htm

It will take some effort on your part, to improve your presentation/public speaking skills...whether you use sheer, brute "force of will" or go for something gentler, like Toastmasters or therapy to generally increase your self-esteem and confidence.

Wishing you much luck.

Hi people..first of all im a 23 year old girl.I don't have any confidence in myself and also my self esteem is very low.

Because of my confidence issue i used to struggle at school and now college/work.I find it very hard to go before people and give a public presentation or any of that sort.I shake like anything and often stutter...why is this so?I really envy people who can deliver speeches or presentation beautifully with soo much confidence.

Is there any help for this or does it just go away?

I had this problem. As a student, even speaking out in tutorial groups made me feel sick and shaky. I went into law, and had to do courtwork. Imagine standing in front of those judges whose idea of a good day's entertainment involves humiliating junior lawyers? Other lawyers sniggering catty judgements to eachother every time you so much as stumble over a word?

That did it for me. I went to get hypnotherapy for it, and after one session I was about 200% better. I still got nervous about speaking in public, but normal nerves as opposed to that phobia that makes you want to throw up, cry etc.

Don't expect something like that (ie a hypnotherapy session) to result in you being able to bounce up in front of an audience and deliver a smooth presentation. That takes a lot of practice. Blushing a little or being somewhat shaky happens to lots of people when they have to talk in public. It isn't necessarily about having low self esteem either. It's possible to be reasonably confident, but too reserved a personality to enjoy having the limelight shone upon you.

GorillaTheater
I had this problem. As a student, even speaking out in tutorial groups made me feel sick and shaky. I went into law, and had to do courtwork. Imagine standing in front of those judges whose idea of a good day's entertainment involves humiliating junior lawyers? Other lawyers sniggering catty judgements to eachother every time you so much as stumble over a word?

Oh how well I remember those days. My very first trial I was so nervous during jury selection that I froze up for a few eternally long seconds. And nearly threw up. My second trial, I was better but was too stiff and formal. My third trial I established such an obvious repoire with the jury panel that the other side settled quickly. So, plunging in and just doing it worked well for me. That initial terror was mind-numbing at the time, embarrassing a little later, but simply funny now. Get out there and "fake it 'til you make it" and it will come much easier in time.

• Author

Thanks soo much guys..your advice is very helpful:)

And Ronni thanks for the site,i'll be checking out now.

And Tara your post inspires me.I'm glad you were able to work through your phobia.I shudder to think about your experience as a law student,standing infront of those judges:eek:

Thanks once again guys.I hope i'll be able to work this out.