First counseling session, what should I expect?

So I booked a session with a counselor for the problems me & boyfriend are having.

He thinks counseling is a great idea, but what would the first session be like?

I have never had relationship counseling before and don't know what to expect. I don't even know how much it will cost as that is worked out after the first session.

I really hope we can work out our differences. We both agree that we shouldn't throw 3 years away.

Ok.

You know what counselling is about, do you?

Counselling is to enable you both to communicate effectively on a level playing field. The counsellor is there to highlight issues they recognise as red flags (which you two might not) and permit you both to discuss them rationally and clearly, instead of going round in an ineffective vicious circle....

Counselling is not always about keeping people together.

If something really doesn't work, sometimes it's better to accept you're on different pages, but in every case, counselling is there to open your eyes, help you communicate constructively and allow the other person to express what they need to express, well and coherently.

In your first session - and every one after that - the Counsellor will be there to mediate, steer and draw information or comments out of you.

A counsellor is not there to fix you.

A counsellor is there to enable you both to fix yourselves.

You will both be expected to do most - if not all - of the talking.

You must agree to both be honest, candid and frank with each other, but to respect one another and not say things expressedly to hurt, or to get a reaction.

How's that?