since all my dr.'s are idiots i thought i'd get your opinion on this medical problem i am still having..

as you know all about my hypoglycemia symptoms that i have but have never been diagnosed with it through a GTT..

i bought a meter to use at home to test while symptomatic..

i have had two morning lows of 54 and 53 after fasting and not really eating much the night before i went to bed, so maybe that contributed..

it seems that only carbs bring my levels up to around the 90 range but just low carbs and high protein does nothing..

i am still symptomatic at either range, 50,70,90's it dont seem to matter..

but what i eat seems to matter...i can never ever feel full! my tummy is constantly growling and hungry which makes me feel horrible and gives me symptoms of anxiety, irriability, nervousness, off balance, etc..

it just dont matter what level i am at i can still feel the symptoms..

today i had eggs, and ham with only a few hashbrowns, my level was at 53 and hour after i ate it only went up to 70..

i ate later again some spaghetti with some ground up turkey meat and sauce and it went up to 80..

i was finally feeling better...seems mornings are the worse part of every day!

i seen the dr. yesterday but she wont do anything until i see her again cause this was my first time seeing her and she wanted to review my chart better..

so i am stuck until i hear from her next week, hopefully...

was told maybe adrenal gland problems but not from her but on a website for thyroid..

my thyroid seems to be okay as is my menopause stuff, so i dont understand what is going on here..

any ideas or suggestions...i have been taking chromium GTF but without any results as of yet...

i know this is not a medical board, but you seem to have some knowledge of this stuff so i thought i would ask you since nobody else can help meeither..

if you cant that is fine too, and i fully understand...and i thank you just the same for your time..

Crystal...

:bunny: i just got my labs back for my tsh and it is 57!

is that major hypothyroid or what???

i am hoping that maybe now with more medication that these

symptoms will go away!

thanx!

You need to depend on qualified medical advice to accurately diagnose your problems. There are many disorders whose symptoms mimic those of low blood sugar, hyperthyroidism, and other diseases. It may take many more tests to accurately determine exactly what your problem is.

Meanwhile, you need to get on a regimen of healthy diet and excercise. And you need to stop taking your blood sugar all the time, unless directed to do so by a physician.

Get good medical care for yourself and stop being so anxious about all your bodily functions and readings. Good gawd, life is going to pass you by.

The biggest part of your problem is stress. Learn to relax and chill out.

it's so odd reading about low blood sugar when I've got the exact opposite problem, being diabetic.

Don't get too frustrated with the new doc unless he/she does something that makes you completely uncomfortable. They want to see blood sugar logs to figure out when your sugars peak/bottom out, which helps give them a better idea of how to plan your treatment.

out of curiosity, are you following any particular kind of diet per your doctor's orders? I know they've got us (who participated in a diabetes education camp) following a heart-healthy diet (basically the food pyramid), and they've suggested that if we get hungry between meals, they could figure in snacks, basically borrowing food portions for one meal and placing it at snack time, which seems to work. Talk to your doctor about this, maybe it could help keep your blood sugars stable in the meanwhile.

Best of luck in getting a clearer diagnoses -- it's a b*tch trying to stay on top of stuff like this, isn't it? Especially when you've go so many other things to keep track of.

jo anne

that is what they recommend for hypoglycemia..

but am not sure exactly what i have yet.

the low carbs do nothing to fill me up and make

me feel satisfied so i just eat healthy as i can until i can

get a real diagnosis..

no sugars of course too but i dont eat them hardly anyway.

i honestly dont know which is worse hypoglycemia or diabetes..

either way seems a struggle ya know..

i have started working out again and am on a higher

dose of levoxyl for my thyroid..

am hoping this will take care of the problem of

feeling starved...

they say most of it can be controled by diet alone..

but that it can progress into type 2 diabets..

so i am hoping i can get this caught and taken care

of before that happens..

i guess it too many carbs can bring it on..

as for snacks they say to eat proteins in between

meals..

cheese sticks, cheese, nuts, vegies are good...

they push alot of vegie stuff but only certain ones..

im sure similar to a diabetic diet...

thank you for the reply....

1. Tony had mentioned something about not taking blood sugar readings all the time, unless a doctor directs you otherwise. One thing they told us at the diabetes education center was to alternate readings -- check breakfast and dinner one day, then lunch and bedtime the next, etc. I think they must have heard a lot of complaints from people about the cost of the test strips or something! But, that seems to work out pretty well.

2. are they making you count calories? We were told to just look at amount of carbohydrates we took in (reading labels, etc.) and to go from there. I know that by using this method, it's a lot less stressful trying to figure out your meal. Is it possible to meet with a dietician who works with diabetics? Food people tend to be more realistic in finding a way to solve your eating problems, I've found that doctors just look at the black and white.

3. tell your doctor that you are having problems going from meal to meal, that the plan isn't really keeping your body filled from meal to meal. Again, a dietician would be the best person, because he or she can tailor a meal plan to your needs.

4. Carbs are important, but don't forget the grease! I remember my home ec teacher in high school telling us that even if we didn't have time to eat a balanced breakfast, to grab some toast, and put butter and jelly on it. The jelly is a fast sugar, the bread a carbohydrate, and the butter is for the long haul, since the body doesn't break it down as quickly.

I think once you get your diet tweaked to meet your needs, a good number of your symptoms will subside.

jo anne

Have you seen a gastroenterologist for a Gastric Emptying Scan? Digestive problems usually indicate that you see a gastroenterologist. Most of the time GP's don't even know many of the illness of digestive dysfunction. I've had something called Gastroparesis for 4 years now, and whenever GP's ask me for pre-exisiting conditions I have to explain to them what gastroparesis is!!

Your symptoms sound like "dumping syndrome" - do you have any bowel problems? Diarrhea or constipation?

Anyway, diabetes can also cause related digestive diseases, anyway. My hypoglycemia was entirely related to my gastroparesis and once that was treated, I no longer had blood sugar problems. Just a thought.

and i thank you very much for that!

actually you are the 2nd person to tell me about that..

i am not diabetic tho i just have these horrible hypoglycemic

problems..

i've had a few low readings as well that indicate it but now my dr. thinks that it is from the hypothyroidism and tsh of 57..

if this does not clear up when my tsh level gets down to normal i WILL have her refer me to a gastro dr.

in fact i am going to make a note it right now to remind me of it..

thank you very much for that idea!

:p