Since I've gone thru a rape-attempt (which i luckily escaped), and i keep having dreams of being followed by a rapist.......... i think i'm best off learning some hard-core self-defense so that i feel confident and comfortable.

I know running away is always good, so i'll also take up jogging/running as soon as it gets a bit warmer up here in toronto...

Does anybody have advice as to which self-defense kind to learn? Martial arts? I heard Aikido is very practical? Or should I go for something else? Please share your experiences :)

Thanks a lot,

-yes

All of the martial arts are excellent to learn and your instructor will teach you specific techniques for warding off a would-be rapist or other attacker.

Local police departments often offer seminars to women on self defense techniques. Call the crime prevention office of your local law enforcement agency.

There are small spray containers of mace, which you can put on your key chain, that can be sprayed in the eyes of an attacker and that will disable him quickly. You just have to be sure the wind doesn't blow it in your face.

You can get this spray, sometimes called "pepper spray", at most any police supply store, drug store, etc. or ask your local police where it can be purchased. It's effects last about 20 minutes, long enough for you to catch a bus to somewhere else. This spray can also be used on dangerous animals that may come at you.

I think a combination of a good, sharp, hard kick in the gonads and some pepper spray in the eyes would be ideal if a man tries anything on you. It also tends to neutralize a male's desire for anything sexual.

Good luck. In a few weeks, you'll be the most feared woman in your town.

The best protection is to not panic when a situation happens. Also be on guard and during any situation where you feel your adrenaline rushing or you cant breath thats where you have to put self defense into practice.

I lived in Miami for a couple years. I had to drive down byscan blvd. everynight. I kept a beretta tomcate under my thigh through every trip.

Use your eyes, and your head, think about the what if's around the corner. How do you react? I personally dont think karate or that sort works for everyone. I'm an easy target, but my ex fiance who was once a police officer opend my eyes. I know I'm an easy target. I practice what Ive learned from him. And fear can kill you. Once you panic, you freeze up, cant move, cant shoot. AND THATS what you have to overcome.

All of the martial arts are excellent to learn and your instructor will teach you specific techniques for warding off a would-be rapist or other attacker. Local police departments often offer seminars to women on self defense techniques. Call the crime prevention office of your local law enforcement agency. There are small spray containers of mace, which you can put on your key chain, that can be sprayed in the eyes of an attacker and that will disable him quickly. You just have to be sure the wind doesn't blow it in your face. You can get this spray, sometimes called "pepper spray", at most any police supply store, drug store, etc. or ask your local police where it can be purchased. It's effects last about 20 minutes, long enough for you to catch a bus to somewhere else. This spray can also be used on dangerous animals that may come at you. I think a combination of a good, sharp, hard kick in the gonads and some pepper spray in the eyes would be ideal if a man tries anything on you. It also tends to neutralize a male's desire for anything sexual. Good luck. In a few weeks, you'll be the most feared woman in your town.
  • Author

I often stay very calm in extreme situations - i freak out later, after handling it. So what i'm more worried about is physically being able to protect myself. I've lived in moscow for years, so i know damn well how to check the street before entering a building, look into the car b4 getting into it, etc. ... It's just the actual if-it-gets-to-physical-fighting part that scares me ... Like not being able to run fast enough to escape...

-yes

The best protection is to not panic when a situation happens. Also be on guard and during any situation where you feel your adrenaline rushing or you cant breath thats where you have to put self defense into practice. I lived in Miami for a couple years. I had to drive down byscan blvd. everynight. I kept a beretta tomcate under my thigh through every trip. Use your eyes, and your head, think about the what if's around the corner. How do you react? I personally dont think karate or that sort works for everyone. I'm an easy target, but my ex fiance who was once a police officer opend my eyes. I know I'm an easy target. I practice what Ive learned from him. And fear can kill you. Once you panic, you freeze up, cant move, cant shoot. AND THATS what you have to overcome.

I'm 95 lbs. I would go down!

Adrenaline can also give you strength you never no you had.

But I support you, If you take self defense classes. You have to let me know how that goes. Give me some pointers!

I often stay very calm in extreme situations - i freak out later, after handling it. So what i'm more worried about is physically being able to protect myself. I've lived in moscow for years, so i know damn well how to check the street before entering a building, look into the car b4 getting into it, etc. ... It's just the actual if-it-gets-to-physical-fighting part that scares me ... Like not being able to run fast enough to escape... -yes

It sounds like you may be experiencing post-traumatic stress (ie nightmares, feeling like you are being followed),which is a very common symptom in regards to your situation.

Self-defence class is an excellent idea. If I may, I would suggest some counselling. There are many Sexual Assault Crisis Centres in Ontario who provide free counselling. The Sexual Assault Centre I go to will only employ counsellors who have been sexually assaulted.

I became very paranoid after I was sexually assaulted, I had constant nightmares, I thought I was being followed all the time. I decided to get some counselling, and I feel much more confident. I took a Tai Boxing class (full contact). It felt great, I learned self defense techniques AND I got to punch stuff whih released alot alot of anger!

Take care of yourself, here is the website to Sexual Assault Care Centre www.swchsc.on.ca

You are courageous!

Lil' Jinx

Since I've gone thru a rape-attempt (which i luckily escaped), and i keep having dreams of being followed by a rapist.......... i think i'm best off learning some hard-core self-defense so that i feel confident and comfortable. I know running away is always good, so i'll also take up jogging/running as soon as it gets a bit warmer up here in toronto... Does anybody have advice as to which self-defense kind to learn? Martial arts? I heard Aikido is very practical? Or should I go for something else? Please share your experiences :) Thanks a lot, -yes
  • Author

Thanks a lot.

I dont think i need councelling right now ( but ill keep it in mind for future reference), but i'll check out tai boxing! ...

:)

-yes

I posted a reply regarding your question about self defence, and provided a resource. I hope you find it helpful. Lil' Jinx