I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but my neurologist prescribed this for me for chronic headaches resulting from an automobile accident I had 3 months ago. They haven't gone away and it's making life fairly difficult. I have at least a handful a day. However, this is an anti-depressant and I'm pretty leery about those. Side effects, withdrawal problems, plus the stigma of taking an anti-depressant.

Has anyone taken this and if so can you tell me your experience? I'm kind of desperate, but I don't want to create a worse problem.

whichwayisup

What other medications have you tried for your migraines? Other than advil or tylenol?

I started getting B12 shots monthly, went off the birth control pill and also started doing yoga, drank more water, eat more fruits. It's a whole way of changing how you eat, what you drink, how much sleep you get as well, not just in the mind.

If you don't feel comfy trying anti-D's then don't take them...But, if your fear is the stigma attached to taking them, hey, you don't have to tell anyone if you do try it. The worst that will happen is, you don't like how you feel on them and you go off the anti-D.

• Author

I don't think they're migraines. She said they were muscle contraction headaches? Don't know how that's different from tension headaches but she said it was related to the whiplash I had.

I'm not on the pill and have been eating fairly healthy (dark greens, fruits etc) and drink lots of water. I think I'll give it some thought before I do take the anti-d's. It's just that relaxing and occasional exercise only lasts short term.

We must have had the same neurologist....I have had migraine headaches most of my life, since I was a small child. I've taken many different medications for it. They work for a while, and then lose their effectiveness.

I took Lexaxpro for around three years, and it worked fine. Basically it subdues the triggers, keeps things consistent. I still had tiny headaches but nothing that couldn't be tolerated compared to a full-on migraine.

But you're right, it is an anti-depressant, and I wasn't depressed. Over time, I felt less like me, like my whole personality was being subdued. Felt like a shade of myself, so I stopped taking it. I tried to do it gradually but still had visual disturbances, etc., as a result of my body dealing with removing it.

I'd maybe go with butalbital compound or Imitrex instead.

• Author
Over time, I felt less like me, like my whole personality was being subdued. Felt like a shade of myself, so I stopped taking it. I tried to do it gradually but still had visual disturbances, etc., as a result of my body dealing with removing it.

I'd maybe go with butalbital compound or Imitrex instead.

Thanks for sharing your experience. THis is exactly what concerns me. Not being myself, and then dealing with withdrawals. I slept on it and decided against it for now. It'll be a last resort. I'd prefer to see if I amp my exercise to get more seratonin if I can even it out. Even though I think Tom Cruise is an ass, I prefer not to take drugs if I can find an organic/holistic alternative.