Assertiveness group

You know, i had an idea while reading "Idiots guide to assertiveness"...

I would like to create an assertiveness group. Kinda like an AA/book club type of group, where people with assertiveness, and confidence issues can get together and share their expereinces and help each other become more confident and assertive. Any ideas how I can do this? (safely???) How do people create book clubs and such?? Id really love to get ideas if any of you have them!

Are you expecting an unassertive person to answer this?

Catch 22 kinda isn't it? :p

They do have courses on that - might be a great place to hook up with others with the A/C issue.

haha :D

I've started writing groups before. I posted fliers at establishments that I felt would have the type of people who would be interested in my group. I also did a lot of word of mouth. Since it was a writers group, I talked to bookstores (mostly small, used bookstores but some chains too), coffee shop owners, university departments, etc. And I asked as many people as I could to talk to their friends, or people who knew other people, and spread the word.

Another option might be to put a small ad in the paper. I considered that, but because of the responses I was getting didn't feel I needed to go that route. There are also quite a few free ways to advertize. It might not have the distribution of the local paper, but still get to more people then just word of mouth would. Usually you can find the freebe papers at local (not chain) coffee shops, or at universities, or the crap they send in the mail that you never want but you glance at anyways. :)

You could also add a website for your group, and add it to the google/yahoo search engines so if any one was looking up Assertiveness, your site would pop up. They have free website hosting out there, and although it might not be the best service in the world, it's workable. If you wanted help creating a website I wouldn't mind givin a hand. (I'm a web developer for a living).

Good luck with your endeavor. I think you have a great concept. You might also want to think about "how" you will help people in addition to having them just talk about their own personal experiences. Maybe by having speakers come to your group, or looking into material that would be beneficial to everyone. In the writers group we would research writing techniques and each meeting share with the group what we learned. Make handouts, and take home material for everyone. Like character development sheets, and sheets for outlining a novel, etc. It was really easy to do and didn't take much time, and also made the meetings feel like we were really getting something out of it in addition to the other things we were doing.

• Author

Good luck with your endeavor. I think you have a great concept. You might also want to think about "how" you will help people in addition to having them just talk about their own personal experiences. Maybe by having speakers come to your group, or looking into material that would be beneficial to everyone. In the writers group we would research writing techniques and each meeting share with the group what we learned. Make handouts, and take home material for everyone. Like character development sheets, and sheets for outlining a novel, etc. It was really easy to do and didn't take much time, and also made the meetings feel like we were really getting something out of it in addition to the other things we were doing.

Thank you walk :)

Yeah actually, i was thinking that we could use books and try out the different exercises they give. I just think that with somethign like that, that is more of a social problem, support from people who go thru the same would help a lot. I know for a long time i felt i was the only one with the issue of not being ablle to speak up, but reading about so many books out there about it made me realize that I am not alone with it and that maybe i could help others help themselves while helping myself (does that make sense?? hm..)

Im really gonna look into the idea of the website though, thank you for the offeing of help :)