My negative attitude

Help....i seem to be one of those "negative nancies" you've all heard about. I dont know if it's from a NY upbringing but I just tend to see the negative side to everything. Even when I'm being funny, its in a negative way. The odd thing is that I'm usually the "life" of the party. I'm outgoing and fun most of the time. I have an odd sense of humorr and definately DO NOT THINK INSIDE THE BOX.

I just landed a new job, and already am thinking I'm not going to like it, they dont pay me enough and the CEO is a scary b!@#$. I dont know if it's doubt, anxiety, or just my negative attitude. How can I adjust myself to start thinking more positively?

just do it. stop being an adict to your negative emotions. Activly think posotive when you catch yourself thinking negative... and dont be lazy or complacent think logicaly and implement plans to better your life

I always see the dark side to Everything, and the funny side to dark things, so I probably relate to your humor. But I think that maybe it's just become a bad habit, maybe a lifelong one, to see the negative side to everything, as you describe about your reaction to your new job.

If it's just your temperament, then I'd say embrace the negative reaction, don't replace it... but start practicing finding the positive things and let them coexist with the negative, and just look at them.

I always like to picture my psyche as a garden, and sometimes I check in to my imaginary garden to see how it's growing. Let's say that your garden has lots of weeds. But (I'm a gardener in real life so I know this) weeds can actually coexist in a garden with vegetables and flowers, sometimes they're even beneficial. They're all plants after all. Just take your weedy garden and put in the Dahlias and Tomatoes and tend to 'em. It might look like a wacky garden, but it works.

I don't see this as a huge problem because of how others perceive you. I mean, you aren't bringing anyone down, noone is avoiding you thinking "ahh man, let's not go talk to Cairo! What a downer..."

Though, with that being said, if you are getting fed up with those thoughts, you need to retrain your ways of thinking and turn it into a positive thing.

As you know, noone has control over the future, so worrying about the what if's is a mute point. So, if you don't like that new job, you quit. Or if they don't pay you enough, ask for a raise when the time is right and you feel more established.

• Author
I always see the dark side to Everything, and the funny side to dark things, so I probably relate to your humor. But I think that maybe it's just become a bad habit, maybe a lifelong one, to see the negative side to everything, as you describe about your reaction to your new job.

If it's just your temperament, then I'd say embrace the negative reaction, don't replace it... but start practicing finding the positive things and let them coexist with the negative, and just look at them.

I always like to picture my psyche as a garden, and sometimes I check in to my imaginary garden to see how it's growing. Let's say that your garden has lots of weeds. But (I'm a gardener in real life so I know this) weeds can actually coexist in a garden with vegetables and flowers, sometimes they're even beneficial. They're all plants after all. Just take your weedy garden and put in the Dahlias and Tomatoes and tend to 'em. It might look like a wacky garden, but it works.

Hi Poly,

Thanks for the garden visual. It's helpful. I can see what you're getting at. Still, its a hard thing to do when you're so used to doing it that way. I'll have to try and remind myself of the dahlias and tomatoes. I know there is no way to fully rid myself of the weeds, and I'd never want to, but, for a change, i'd laike to have more flowers than weeds.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

It is truly hard to go from being a negative ninny to a positive polly. Absolutely chief. I had the same issues once upon a time. I had to find a different way of life and thinking so I didn't continue to get reprimanded and fired for my bad attitude. And when you work in customer service, bad attitudes are seen often, and not welcomed after a while.

So, I can relate to your problems, I was there once. And as corny as it sounds, there is help, and tools to get you to turn around. It took me a while to reset my thinking, but most importantly; I had to figure out why I was pi$$y all the time. What crawled up my hiney and died? Why why why??

I had an open enough mind to watch the DVD the secret. Sure it gets slammed for its approach, but something clicked. I put aside the corny, rolled up my sleeves, and tried a few things. Not being religious, I could see the universal possibilities these steps provided. And it worked. I haven't been the same person since. Complete change in probably one years time I think it took me to learn. And it was a great journey, finding out about myself using new techniques.

So if you're feeling corny, and want to try something new, give Positive Intentions forum a look-see, and order The Secret. It may help, or just make you laugh, either way, you'll feel a little less pi$$y.

I would like to start a discussion thread very soon on that book "the secret", maybe you would like to contribute?

I'd like to hear thoughts on it, it brings up so many discussion points. I haven't read it, but I get the gist of it.

• Author
It is truly hard to go from being a negative ninny to a positive polly. Absolutely chief. I had the same issues once upon a time. I had to find a different way of life and thinking so I didn't continue to get reprimanded and fired for my bad attitude. And when you work in customer service, bad attitudes are seen often, and not welcomed after a while.

So, I can relate to your problems, I was there once. And as corny as it sounds, there is help, and tools to get you to turn around. It took me a while to reset my thinking, but most importantly; I had to figure out why I was pi$$y all the time. What crawled up my hiney and died? Why why why??

I had an open enough mind to watch the DVD the secret. Sure it gets slammed for its approach, but something clicked. I put aside the corny, rolled up my sleeves, and tried a few things. Not being religious, I could see the universal possibilities these steps provided. And it worked. I haven't been the same person since. Complete change in probably one years time I think it took me to learn. And it was a great journey, finding out about myself using new techniques.

So if you're feeling corny, and want to try something new, give Positive Intentions forum a look-see, and order The Secret. It may help, or just make you laugh, either way, you'll feel a little less pi$$y.

Hi.

I've seen it many a times....and actually own it. i guess my problem with that is while I appreicate the message, i cannot get it to stick. Believe me....I know this secret. I studied religion, mostly Buddhism in college. i'm not religious, but am spiritual and this movie was like my whole college education rolled up into two hours with bad visuals. Even when in college, I could follow this secret, but once i was out my negative and bad attitude took me over. I'm watch that movie when I'm feeling really inspired, but 2 days later...my drive has disappeared.

I think just being aware is a great first step for me. Matbe I'll just notive it more and more until I get sick of it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Watch it again - "The Secret", that is. Watch it over, and over, and over, until the message and it's train of thought becomes a habit. A negative attitude is a habit, just as a positive attitude is as well. :)

Watch it again - "The Secret", that is. Watch it over, and over, and over, until the message and it's train of thought becomes a habit. A negative attitude is a habit, just as a positive attitude is as well. :)

A negative attidute also makes you strive for more-if you are always unhappy you are always trying to reach for more.

So the secret may give new tools for that unhappiness that wants more, more, more....

I decided to give it a try!