blind_otter

I quit smoking in January. I cheated a few times but have been smoke free for about 6 months now.

So please explain to me why I still constantly crave cigarettes? I thought the craving was eventually supposed to go away. Am I a "dry smoker" (I can't think of what else to call it). -- am I still addicted to cigarettes, at least psychologically?

I mean, this is torture. Absolute torture. To be around people who smoke just kills me because it reminds me that I want a cigarette. STILL. I've been waiting and waiting for the cravings to go away and they just won't. At this rate I'll be smoking again eventually. I can't be strong forever. Can I?

B -I think cigarettes may appeal to an addictive personality, at the core.

I picked up smoking in nursing school when I was a young girl.

There was this willy-nilly, frantic young lady who always obsessed about her grades in my class and she always nearly broke down just before an exam.

Standing outside the school under the big oaks one afternoon waiting to take an exam, I couldn't stand it any longer listening to her whine and express her fear while she puffed great clouds from her Marlboro; I asked for a cigarette.

I was being sucked into her anxiety over the exam -and though I didn't realize it, her addiction to nicotine, as well.

I smoked until I graduated -a nurse who knew better!

It was well after nursing school -many years later when I began to really pay attention -and noticed that (generally speaking) people who smoked (excessively) almost always had alot of stress and anxiety in their lives.

And they seemed to have obsessive personalities -and other addictions- from the minute and nearly insignificant to those that were devouring and obvious.

I had to look at myself and admit that I, too, had somewhat of an addictive personality predisposition.

And probably, still do.

(Just look at my addiction to Loveshack....Smile.)

Fact is, I think we all have some addictions in our lives -it's just that most aren't going to lead us to a quick and ugly death.

I also think -in addition to whatever factors may already be present, in regards to personality that can lead to taking up those small or more life-engulfing addictions, that the chemical molecules of nicotine are powerful enough to take up where we leave off, even if we want more than anything to quit smoking.

Explaination: the nasty nicotine molecule fits so perfectly into the receptor slot in our brain that normally gets fed with it's proper and natural molecule, that it makes a fine surrogate, fooling our brain and causing our natural molecule to deplete in production.

Then -when we want to feel "up" or need a little relaxation to stave off whatever stress we're feeling, or simply be "at pleasure" and take a moment of "down time", we crave the more powerful chemical molecule of nicotine that has stolen it's place in our brain receptors, because our natural hormone molecule just doesn't give us the jolt we're used to, anymore.

For me, this kind of makes it a little more clear *why* it's so difficult to quit (it's sheer hell, for some) -and it certainly sheds light on the type of folks we know as drama seekers (in my opinion, they're more likely to be addicted to chemicals (especially) that deliver that kind of jolt to their brain, along with other behavior.

But I think -for most people who wound up smoking and regretting it, and who are now having a whale of a battle in trying to quit- it's those "little" addictions that stack up and which they fall prey to most often.

I've had my battles, certainly, with smoking -the memory and craving, I believe, will always be there.

It's just the thought of giving in, that something so small and powerful has potential to gain consuming control over me (I'm terribly hard-headed...Smile) that stirs me to anger and makes me draw on my natural-born stubbornness enough not to give in.

B_O, never doubt it -you can stay off cigarettes!

I *know* you are that stubborn, too!

(Smile)

-Rio

Explaination: the nasty nicotine molecule fits so perfectly into the receptor slot in our brain that normally gets fed with it's proper and natural molecule, that it makes a fine surrogate, fooling our brain and causing our natural molecule to deplete in production.

:D:D:D I like this description – makes a helluva lot of sense when you put it this way.

now, to you smokers out there: According to a book written by a curandero I know, you can calm your addiction to nicotine/smoking by chewing on dried chamomile flowers. Something about chamomile being a naturally soothing herb, and how the physical act of having that dried flower in your mouth is a substitute for the cigarette itself. I've got a jar full of the stuff for DH, though he's not yet ready to try it out. However, we've got a roadtrip planned in a couple of weeks, and I plan to take along a sample of the stuff for him to chew on when he drives, just to see how effective it is.

Q, Chantix (the rave new "quit smoking" drug) is supposed to deliver it's molecule to the receptor that is almost *identical* to our naturally-produced hormone molecule and kind of "hold it's place in line" where we feel the pleasure emotion in our brain when smoking cigarettes.

Chantix is supposed to allow transferrance, in time, back to our naturally-produced hormone molecules.

This is supposed to break the smoking habit.

Some are saying it actually works.

Now, if only the root of the addiction could be solved just as simply......

(Smile)

-Rio

• Author
blind_otter

Awesome, thanks for all the information, Rio. I love LS because it is such a resource and wealth of information just from certain posters like yourself who are not only well versed and renaissance educated, but also particularly articulate. :)

I surely am stubborn enough to stay off cigarettes. And I'm half inclined to try chewing on chamomile flowers although the worst part of me would rather roll up a chamomile cigarette and smoke it. Oral fixation is the bane of my existence. It's like the sensation of using the substance and the ritual involved in its use is as addictive as the effect of the substance in and of itself. I remember when I used cocaine the chopping and sifting and cutting of lines as well as the sensation of snorting was almost as pleasureable to me as the high itself. At the depth of my addiction the ritual became something even more pleasureable because the drug no longer stimulated me as much as it had initially.

Oh, to just smoke something. Anything. Even a handful of non-hallucinogenic herbs. Just the sensation of a cigarette in my hand, sucking the smoke from the tip of the slender cylinder, holding the smoke in for a second and then exhaling while the white smoke slithers from my lips like the lingering touch of a lover. It's seems too easy to stray from the healthy path.

And my life isn't all that healthy to begin with. I'm far too sedentary. I exercise in bouts and am prone to sloth. My eating habits are atrocious. I never eat breakfast unless it's the weekend, and then I eat a fried egg and crispy bacon. I barely nibble at crackers for lunch but often partake on a sumptuous dinner. I have an uncontrollable sweet tooth and I like sedentary things like reading, watching movies, knitting, shopping, painting and drawing, writing, playing the piano and the ukelele.

I have a feeling that if I could wrangle my Id long enough to stop indulging in sloth and sedentary activities that my cravings for illicit and harmful activities would wane.

sweet tooth and oral fixation: what about lollipops? Just don't light them :laugh::laugh::laugh:

seriously, though, I think I see the same thing with DH ... while he's definitely addicted to nicotine, the bigger sense of comfort comes when he's got that ciggy in his mouth. Lit or unlit.

I quit smoking about 3 years ago after having smoked for about 20 years. Once I got it in my head that I wasn’t going to smoke anymore it was pretty easy to quit. The first year I craved a cigarette every now and then, even had dreams about smoking. Sometimes I’d even willingly breathe in a little second hand smoke. I’m sure that the cravings were more psychological than physical. It’s only been in the past year that cigarettes and smoking have begun to disgust me.

You just have to keep telling yourself how bad for your health smoking is and how it is an unnecessary expense.

I surely am stubborn enough to stay off cigarettes.

Even though I am smoking now, I did quit for 5 years at one time. The stubborness is what is getting you. That's great for a while, but you have to learn to overcome each "trigger" that sets off the smoking urge. A long phone call, an active conversation, waiting for the bus - all of these things would set me off. If I just tried to "white knuckle" it, it would become torturous to resist smoking. Try substituting other actions - pacing, gum chewing...whatever. The actual craving is brief, it's the fear of the craving, and the thrashing around to avoid the craving that gets you.

PS. I also managed to quit cocaine, so I know a little about craving :)

-- am I still addicted to cigarettes, at least psychologically?

yes....i've talked to people who have quit for 10+ years and they still crave a ciggie occasionally. I love smoking my marlboro lite menthols puff puff cough wheeze

:lmao:

whichwayisup

Eww, you smoke menthols????? Wow, I now put you in another category, man!

B_O, it's now a mind over matter thing...You can ride it out and just think how great you've been for so long!

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

Move to Canada. It's taxed to death and around $10 a pack or more (I don't smoke so not 100% sure)!

• Author
blind_otter

Well someone recommended a book about quitting smoking. It's sitting in my bathroom waiting for an auspicious moment. I have so many books on my "to read" list.

I think I must have gained at least 5 lbs in the process of quitting smoking. Maybe even 10 lbs. I might be premenstrual right now but lately I have been feeling downright chubby.

I mean, I've done loads of other drugs, many to excess and some to the point of dependence and getting off cigarettes has been my absolute albatross. Woe is me whine whine whine, I know. My God if this is the worst suffering I'm going through at this point I'm damn lucky and I shouldn't take it for granted. (But it's still hard to quit smoking cigarettes).

I used to smoke menthols meself. Newports. How I long for that minty freshness. Maybe I should take up compulsive flossing since I rarely floss as it is.

I mean, I've done loads of other drugs, many to excess and some to the point of dependence and getting off cigarettes has been my absolute albatross.

Keith Richards of the Stones once said quitting heroin was easier than quitting cigs :laugh:

I used to smoke menthols meself.

mmm i love menthols, but the light versions. Regular Newports and Kools are too much. Actually my "backup" brands are Kool Milds and Newport Lites

• Author
blind_otter
Keith Richards of the Stones once said quitting heroin was easier than quitting cigs :laugh:

well I have to agree with that inarticulate bag of skin and bones with the shaggy hair. wonders never cease.

mmm i love menthols, but the light versions. Regular Newports and Kools are too much. Actually my "backup" brands are Kool Milds and Newport Lites

the lighter versions never really satisfied me. I'm a rich full flavor kind of gal.

Hang in there blind! :)

I quit after smoking for 18 years. It will be one year in August since I quit. It is still to this day hard for me. I want one every day that goes by. I actually can visualize me puffing on one, and seems so nice! :D However, I don't miss the wheezing, and keeping upper respitory infections. I don't miss the smokers cough I had when getting up in the morning, and I don't miss the smell on my clothes, car and in my hair, but I do miss the cigs, go figure. :rolleyes::D I kept thinking me wanting one would get less and less as time when on, and maybe it has to a point but I don't think it will ever completly go away. I feel better for quitting , I feel like I can breathe better. Hang in there. :)

Jade

if you remember the pain your father endured - then it might help you to remember why you quit.

you've done harder things than this in your life BO... you are a strong gal...

maybe some spearmint mints or candy would help with needing that "cool flavor" fix...

maybe some spearmint mints or candy would help with needing that "cool flavor" fix...

thats like giving a jolly rancher to an ex-heroin junkie who's going thru withdrawals :laugh::rolleyes:

PoshPrincess

B.O, keep up the good work! I quit just under two weeks ago and lasted 5 days. I don't feel I tried hard enough and will start again on Monday. I know I can do it if I really put my mind to it as I can go for hours without even really thinking about a cig. I've been at work for over 12 hours now and haven't had one since before I started. I know that the minute I get out the door I will light one up. And that's habit, more than anything else.

The embarrassing thing is that I only started smoking regularly less than 2 years ago, when I was 34. :eek: I used to smoke weed now and again when with my ex and when we split up I took to having the odd ciggie instead. The odd ciggie turned into several when drinking, and then got more and more throughout the day. Like someone else mentioned on here, there are certain times that you associate with having a cig. With me it was the first one in the morning after dropping my son at nursery (in fact, nearly always while driving), the one at the station while waiting for a train (now banned which is handy!)

Yep, here in the UK the smoking ban has come in in full force which I reckon should help. If I was in a pub I would light up one after the other almost but I am not going outside that often. Certainly don't want to be doing that when winter comes!

I dunno about $10 in Canada being expensive for a pack of ciggies. We pay over £5 for 20 here which is prettymuch equivalent, if not, more expensive. I think that is inspiring me to stop more than anything!!!!

• Author
blind_otter

It doesn't help that so many people I know still enjoy the rich, full flavor of a cancer stick.

I think about my Dad and feel guilty for wanting a cig. I mean, he's dead because of lung cancer. I miss him terribly, every day that goes by I think about him and wish he was still here with me. And God knows if he had quit smoking when I was born he just might still be alive today.

Maybe it's just a passive aggressive method of suicide, the cigarette smoking.

The funny thing is....well not funny really....but I had a drag off a cigarette approximately 8 days ago and was utterly repulsed. The taste, the smell, the sensation....the reality of the addiction is gross.

It's the FANTASY of the addiction that I am addicted to.

• 2 weeks later...
PoshPrincess

The funny thing is....well not funny really....but I had a drag off a cigarette approximately 8 days ago and was utterly repulsed. The taste, the smell, the sensation....the reality of the addiction is gross.

It's the FANTASY of the addiction that I am addicted to.

Well that's good, BO! You're obviously more than half way there! I feel like that most times I smoke but still do it!

Still smoking. Can't give up now as I've put 16lbs on in weight in the past year :o (in a new-ish R so apparently it's contentment!?!) When I lose weight I will try again.

Still smoking. Can't give up now as I've put 16lbs on in weight in the past year :o (in a new-ish R so apparently it's contentment!?!) When I lose weight I will try again.

Don't you just love addiction.. that Posh Princess is denial in it's sweetest form.

The addiction has talked you into continuing to smoke for health reasons :)

I just wanted to congratulate you guys..BO, Jade (and others who have done this...). My mom is going on 3 months of no smoking. You guys are something. Addiction sucks. If I could change ONE thing about me, it would be to take away my addictions and my addictive personality.

Eventually, I too will have to quit. It's been too long now and I'm starting to notice its effects for the first time in my life. Ugh...but one addiction at a time.

please read my posts on the 'giving up smoking before I am ready' thread.

These tablets are wonderful!