Short lived obsessions

I have been looking at recurrent patterns in my life, and one of them that is just becoming clear is my habit of short lived obsessions. I don't know how else to explain it.

For example I will find a website of interest, I will become obsessively involved with it for awhile, I participate almost religiously for about six weeks, I think about it, talk about it, pretty much live it for about six weeks it seems and then I burn out and just lose interest.

For example Runescape. My kids introduced me to it last fall, and for about six weeks I played it constantly. Within two weeks I had passed my kids levels, and by the end of two months I was a level 50, I've talked to people who have played for two years and haven't gotten that high. Then I just lost interest... overnight.

Then I found another web game and played it... for about six weeks.

I was thinking about this, and realized that I tend to do this in real life as well. For awhile i was obsessed with Ann Rice's Vampire chronicles, then Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Harry Potter...

It's not just fantasy related either... I do it with researching specific subjects, say for awhile I am obsessed with antiques, I research them, I learn all I can about them, and then one day... I'm bored with them and move on to legal research. These interests don't always last six weeks, most of the time they last until it becomes difficult for me to find new informtion on the subject, when I start coming across the same information over and over I move on to something else. There doesn't seem even seem to be a realtion from one interest to the next most of the time.

I've never had a job over six weeks either, I've worked for myself most of my life because of this. I always start out great guns, I am the most dedicated employee ever, I take work home, I take double shifts, I come in on my days off to see if I can do anything... and then after about six weeks I burn out.

I was thinking about discussing this with my counselor this week, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has seen a pattern like this in themselves or someone they know. I'm really puzzled by this repeating pattern in my life...

you kind of answered it yourself ...

and then after about six weeks I burn out.

its like playing a new video game out in market. you go buy it on day 1 , come home and play it as much as possible and then once you complete it , its boring to go back doing it all over again.

you get so involved with things that you probably shut out other stuff and when you are done overdoing it , it becomes a chore and you want something new to do... go easy with anything you get involved into. you need to relax and soak it in and work on it rather than a person on a mission to complete at asap. relax , chill .. enjoy what you do and go easy on yourself and the stuff you are into.

talk to your counsellor who will explain this better...

Hey,

That's a very interesting topic.

I've known people like that and I just know they are not going to be interested in whatever it is in a matter of weeks.

(I don't have friends like that for some reason)

In my case I have the opposite situation, I don't become interested in any new thing.

And the few things that I'm interested in, like exercising, reading, relationships, nature, I've been interested in all my life.

Ariadne

justagirlforever

I think it's perfectly normal :) Well I would because in that sense I'm quite similar. Though for me it can range anything from a few weeks to sometimes extending to several months - just depends how interesting it is.

But for me it's all about learning and experiencing something new. Whether it's a game or a topic.

• Author

I asked my counselor about this and he said it's an avoidance thing. I am avoiding thinking about the things that upset me. So I've been sitting here the last three days asking myself what I am trying to avoid thinking about... and the only thing I can come up with is that I'm avoiding housework.

Why can't it just be a lust for learning coupled with a low threshold for boredom? LOL

justagirlforever

mmmm interesting. It's definitley not an avoidance thing for me. I'm not a procrastinator (in general) and do what needs to be done. For me it's part of keeping my mind active and diverse. I have my solid long term hobbies, but variety is the spice of life!