Anyone else have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?

I've been up all night again, so much for sleeping meds... Since it's late, and I'm bored I was wondering does anyone else here suffer from PTSD?

My therapist just told me last week he thinks I a form of PTSD. He is doing more research and wants to work with me to figure out if that could be one of my traumas.

Do you have PTSD?

I sometimes think I do but I don't have any nightmares or any of that. I actually laugh about horrible things that I have witnessed and have had happen to me. I don't know how healthy that is and maybe it is a form of PTSD.

Yes -- have had it before in the past. It takes time to get over. Along with the sleeping pills get a prescription for Valium or Xanax. It takes the edge off.

Yes -- have had it before in the past. It takes time to get over. Along with the sleeping pills get a prescription for Valium or Xanax. It takes the edge off.

Have you gotten over your PTSD? And should I just ask my doc for a prescription for one of those? I am on Zoloft right now...

Have you gotten over your PTSD? And should I just ask my doc for a prescription for one of those? I am on Zoloft right now...

Oh yes -- been over it for years. Mine was due to the earthquakes (the 6 pointers) us Californians live with. And it is only a matter of time before I suffer through it again. I was never prescribed Zoloft or any other anti-depressants. I took both Xanax and Valium at different times. It is definitely worth asking your doctor about this. They are both wonderful medications so long as you don't abuse them.

Xanax and Valium are anti-anxiety sedative drugs. They also work as sleeping pills. They work in a similar way to alcohol by depressing your central nervous system, and the way you perceive situations which may cause youanxiety, which is why you shouldn't drink while taking them or do things like drive, as they can decrease your reflexes and reaction times too.

They can be addictive.

Some antidepressants can actually ENHANCE the action of valium.

I use them in my job, and it help alot.

WWIU- just looked up side effects

they can include

dry mouth

respiratory depression (bad if youhave asthma)

low blood pressure (dizziness, faints)

visual disturbance

dependence

skin rash,

headaches

sexual fantasy !!! (which is why health professionals have to have another person present at all times if they are administering these- people have been successfully (but wrongfully sued))

if taken when pregnant can get condition similar to foetal alcohol syndrome

Thats myhomework done for the day!

Having said that I have taken both valium AND antidepressants in the past, and have found them tobe great at helping with stress and depression etc.

Did you have any side effects to Xanax or Valium? What exactly does it do?

No -- never had any side effects. They can make you sleepy if you are already tired to begin with. For me, they relaxed me, calmed me down when the stress level was just to much to cope with.

• Author

I was actually diagnosed ADHD about eight years ago, and we thought that explained a lot of my behaviors. When I was raped five years ago, and the guy started stalking me it aggravated the symptoms... until I was disabled.

They diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia last year, and through that my therapist found the link to PTSD. Since the symptoms have been present since childhood, nobody really caught on until I was pushed over the edge.

I have terrible nightmares, but most of what you would call "flashbacks" I actually black out and don't remember whatever it was I was remembering. I say things while I am blacked out, tell people things I remember... but don't really remember the conversation.

I'm doing a lot better now that we have some sort of answer, the hypervigilance is much better. I don't have such an exaggerated startle resonse to people coming up behind me. The cat scared me last night really bad, coming up behind me when I think I'm alone still sends me through the roof...

Just being aware of it has really helped me control some of the reactions I have.

I'm just starting to figure out that the reason I don't sleep is actually because I don't want to sleep... so that makes it hard. Even on the meds I force myself to stay awake all night, I sleep fine during the day... and stay up all night.

So after the cat scared me I thought I'd see if anyone else has those problems.

Stay away from xanax and Valium or any of the Valium like substances out there that are potentially addictive.

Buspar is not addictive and might be a decent strategy for some people to help cope with anxiety.

A low dose tricyclic antidepressant can be very helpful for getting a good restful nights sleep.

Here is a good page on medications for combat PTSD but it applies to any kind of PTSD as well. http://www.dr-bob.org/tips/ptsd.html

Something that is particularly interesting is the idea of using beta blockers like propranolol together with exposure therapy. If you have a therapist for your PTSD ask them about this.

• Author

Right now I'm on Cymbalta, I have muscle relaxers to help me sleep, because often no matter how tired I am I am too tense to sleep, my muscles are clenched and I can't relax them. I also have Tramadol for the pain, but only have to take that when the pain levels are high... not regularly

RecordProducer

I probably have plenty due to all the sh*t in my childhood and adult life... and I am getting PRE-TSD now! :laugh:

Right now I'm on Cymbalta, I have muscle relaxers to help me sleep, because often no matter how tired I am I am too tense to sleep, my muscles are clenched and I can't relax them. I also have Tramadol for the pain, but only have to take that when the pain levels are high... not regularly

I understand the Cymbalta, muscle relaxers and Tramadol but is your PTSD being treated/addressed by the Cymbalta or did your doc prescribe that for the fibromyalgia or for some other reason? Which muscle relaxers are you taking?

I guess my question really is if your PTSD is being treated? :confused:

• Author

I asked for the cymbalta because I've been hearing good things about it in relation to chronic pain situations. My Muscle relaxers are cyclobenzaprine. I'm am not on any medications specifically for PTSD... They seem to be having a hard enough time figuring out what to do with the fibro : )

I live in a very small town, so the resources are limited.

I am in therapy, and involved in vocational rehabilitation for retraining... My therapist is the one that picked up on it. He said I would be learning relaxation techniques and such later. At the moment we seem to be working on the self-esteem issues and abuse mostly.

I asked for the cymbalta because I've been hearing good things about it in relation to chronic pain situations. My Muscle relaxers are cyclobenzaprine. I'm am not on any medications specifically for PTSD... They seem to be having a hard enough time figuring out what to do with the fibro : )

I live in a very small town, so the resources are limited.

I am in therapy, and involved in vocational rehabilitation for retraining... My therapist is the one that picked up on it. He said I would be learning relaxation techniques and such later. At the moment we seem to be working on the self-esteem issues and abuse mostly.

Cyclobenzaprine is good. :)

Check with your doc regarding getting a prescription for Desyrel to help you sleep better. The Cymbalta may enhance the effect of the Desyrel so the Desyrel dose might not be as high as it would be without the Cymbalta. If the Desyrel doesn't help you sleep better at night then stop taking the Desyrel (with your doc's prior approval of course) and try a low (for sleep disorders) dose tricyclic antidepressant in it's place. Your doc should know all about these medications and what dose to prescribe for pain and problems sleeping.

I still think you should talk with your doc and therapist about Buspar and also the idea of using propranolol with exposure therapy.

• Author

It's kind of scary but I've had to educate my Doctor on fibromyalgia... I research it and bring in the info on the meds to try. I really HATE taking pills for anything. So he trusts me with them, and doesn't question my motives there... We even discussed medical marijuana... I've intentionally stayed away from anything too addictive, and could probably get valium or xanex, It's just that I'm a single homeschooling mom...

So I can't afford to be medicated during the day...

But I found that it increased the paranoia factor of the PTSD, so it's not an option...

I'll research it and see what he thinks...