Lack of life motivation

Hi guys,

I hope you guys can help me out...

My gf recently dumped me because i was 'holding her back'. Ive been thinking about my life since, and it isnt going anywhere interesting at all. Im holding myself back and i want to change this more than anything.

Im 21, ive got a degree and ive got a really good job. The problem is, my job is fantastically boring and anti social (computer programming).

I've always known its not the job i want to, i just fell into it through uni.

My problem is I dont have any idea in the slightest what i want to do with my life. People have suggested i go travelling, and im kinda interested, i just dont have any spark.

I want to have motivation and drive more than anything, i really want it, i just dont know how to achieve it.

Im reluctant to give up my job because im good at it, im treated well and on good pay etc. Im scared the grass wont be greener, especially as i cant see myself enoying anything else.

My friend recently moved to california (i live in the rainy UK) and i was considering going out to stop with him for a bit... But what would i do? I can see myself just getting bored after ive seen the sights and coming home to have no job and being even more depressed.

Arg i really wish i had some motivation to do something ive always wanted you know?

sighhh, rant over :)

comments welcome of course :)

--My gf recently dumped me because i was 'holding her back'. Ive been thinking about my life since, and it isnt going anywhere interesting at all. Im holding myself back and i want to change this more than anything.

Im 21, ive got a degree and ive got a really good job. The problem is, my job is fantastically boring and anti social (computer programming)-- Well sorry to say but this girl that dumped you sounds like she might have some of her own issues. You have a steady good paying decent job you dont sound like a abusive or bad bf.Your just a little confused as to what you want for your life in the long run. Nothing wrong with that join the club I def wouldent quit my job if I were you. Cuz lets face it hopes and dreams are nice but they dont pay the bills and buy the food. You might want to take some time off of work if you can and take that trip. I always found travel to be verry refreshing myself. Some times it just takes a while to figure it all out. But do your self a favor and dont let it get to you or bring you down. Enjoy the journey as much as the destination and you will be ok :)

I can definitely relate. I've been programming for 10 years and am starting to lose my spark in it. I'm tempted to change careers or do something crazy, but the pay is too good to just leave. I like having the security of my paycheck. It's decent money and I doubt i'll make as much if I just start a new career.

I think before quitting your job, you need to start taking up new hobbies or classes to see what other things are available. Try and create your spark in other areas.

Take a long vacation and see some place else. I promise that it will renew your spark, or set you off in a different direction.

• 1 month later...
Starlight Starbright

I'm a computer programmer and I live in California and I am so miserable with my job. I am going in to resign tomorrow. Seriously. Time for a career change.