I dont know of this is the right place to post this but I hope someone can help.

I have three questions

How does someone get over an obsession with someone long after the relationship has ended and there is no contact?

Is there is link between OCD and this type of obsession?

How does someone know when the obsession has gone too far?

whichwayisup

If you feel like you can't get over someone and it's been a long time, then it's time to consider therapy to help you cope better.

Letting yourself obsess and think about a past love when the relationship is over is only doing damage to you. You're preventing yourself from moving and meeting someone else, that someone who could be even better and more special than the ex.

Depression can lead to OCD, anxiety and other phobia's if you let it get bad.

I think if that happens the person needs to ask themselves why they are obsessing over it. There must be some deep embedded issues that the person can not move on from. I'd recommend some professional counselling to work on those issues.

Personally I don't think there's a connection with OCD, but I'm no psych.

A lot of people attach very strongly to emotions and it's all about being able to move on from them and realise that there's another world out there to explore.

jetsetjessica

Nobody really addressed you last question. When has the obsession gone too far. I think as soon as you feel the need to ask yourself if its gone too far. If you are thinking it might have gone too far, chances are it has or is starting too. I would reccomend seeing a therapist maybe only a few sessions. The only way to get over the obsession is to understand the reason for your obsession. They will be able to help you ask yourself the right questions to figure that out, and then you will be able to go back to normal (obsession free!) life and maybe start looking at other, possibly better love interests