severe social anxiety

alwayswondering

Hi, I have had panic attacks and anxiety for years. I took zoloft for 3 years but am no longer on it. I have had a very stressful year, ended engagement, father had cancer, bought a house.....not that things have calmed down, I feel as if I can't let go of the stress and can't relax. It bother me most socially, when I am in a social situation, whether it be a restaurant or outr in public at all, I feel extremely dizzy and like I am going to pass out. I usually relax after a little while and having a drink helps, but it's terrible until then. I think I am ok and it still happens automatically. It never happens when I am at home alone. I feel the walls are closing in on me and I feel very dizzy and like I am spining and walking on an uneven floor and am going to fall down. Does anyone else feel this way? My Dr. gave me zanax and buspar but it does not help that much. She told me to meditate instead of taking medication but it does not help. I just can't ever relax. Does anyone else ever feel the dizziness in public? Thanks

whichwayisup

Have you thought about cognitive behaviour therapy? This is what I am currently doing right now and have been for almost 2 years. I suffer from anxiety attacks, though in the last year (finally!) therapy has paid off. I did it without meds as the type of therapy - CBT - is very helpful in gaining back control and not letting the panic/anxiety get in the way of life.

My attacks sound like yours. Dizzy, and feeling unwell. And it can be really scary too! I learned coping skills (the yoga, meditation and breathing techniques) to help me get through those rough moments...

Afew things I do is being aware of why I'm feeling like I am. Is it PMS related? Or period related? Not enough sleep? Headaches/migraines? Also, food. Too much sugar, or caffeine can give you anxiety. And low blood sugar levels can mimick anxiety - Which ofcourse, makes you feel worse.

When you're out and in a public place, a social place (I know as I get like that too, and started avoiding! That gave me avoidance behaviours which is bad!! Became abit agrophobic at times too.) remember there is no real reason why the anxiety should be happening. Next time you're feeling this way, get out a pen and paper, write down your fears...What's the worst that can happen? (Eg: you faint.) Have you ever fainted from anxiety?

Some people use "Rescue Remedy" (Bach flower) and swear it works wonders. Maybe look into trying that, it's all natural and doesn't have side effects.

Hope this helps.

whichwayisup

You're welcome! I'm glad that you'll look into it.

Feel free to ask me anything, I'm an open book when it comes to anxiety!

Take care.

whichwayisup

Paxil may have worked well for your friend, but it doesn't work for everybody.

I know afew people who have had awful experiences with Paxil.