For those going through or gone through menopause

I don't know alot about menopause other than what I have read and friends/family have said. However, I have heard that sometimes a woman thats going through menopause can mimck the same way their mother did. In other words if a womans mother went through menopause really bad, symptoms were real bad etc, that that woman will usually follow the way her mother did. Does anyone know if thats true?

I'm only 35 so I would say I have some time before that happens. My mother is 57 and I think she went through it around age 50 or so. I remember it being really bad for her. Sweating and hot flashes all the time. Being tired etc, and all the other lovely things that go on. I remember her telling me they had tried her on several different things before finding something that worked for her. I just hope I don't follow in her footsteps as far as menopause, maybe it wont be that bad for me, but I think since my periods are bad, not heavy no cramping, but hot and tired during that time, that menopause might be double bad for me.

So if you are going through menopause or have gone through it, how was it for you? Did it effect you like it did your mother?

Jade

Remember that women can start going through perimenopause from their thirties on - kind of a pre-menopause. Google it. There are also a lot of books on it.

If your periods are like those of your mom's, chances are your menopause will be, too. However there are now lots of medical folks who have specialized in treating women during these times and lots of different treatments that can be used.

Christine Northrup has written great books - at least I've heard people rave about them. Google 'menopause experts' and you'll get a two-page list of people along with the titles of books, videos, etc. that they have produced.

As for my mom, I think she had a bad time of it. She was not young when she had me so she was going through menopause when I was going through puberty - not fun in that house! I don't know much about how it was for her - she died before we ever really got around to discussing it.

My mother went thru meno @ 40, I did @ 44, so in that respect I followed her pretty close. But she had alot of problems with hot flashes etc and took hormones. I did not have ANY problems, not even 1 hot flash and have never taken hormones at all. I think I missed about 3 periods one year, then bam! they quit altogether! I almost feel I somehow cheated. Don't know if excercising and being a vegetarian had anything to do with it or not, but I feel very blessed and thrilled to be thru it.

My sister started @ about 42 with many, many hot flashes, mood swings etc and now 10 years later is finally done. So yes we all started meno early, but each one went thru a little differently.

My mom had an easy time of it... she swears it was because she had nine children... her theory is - the more kids you have had, the easier God makes it for you later.... hmmm

I had two kids, but I have been in the midst of (wo)menopause for eight years, since I was 36 to 37 years old. Including hot flashes, night sweats and heavy periods... isn't it lovely when you want to feel sexy and feminine??? NOT!

My sisters are staring in on the change and they are now saying - oh my God, how have you been doing and living with this for 8 years? Answer is... less clothing! he he :lmao: :lmao:

basscatcher
I don't know alot about menopause other than what I have read and friends/family have said. However, I have heard that sometimes a woman thats going through menopause can mimck the same way their mother did. In other words if a womans mother went through menopause really bad, symptoms were real bad etc, that that woman will usually follow the way her mother did. Does anyone know if thats true?

I'm only 35 so I would say I have some time before that happens. My mother is 57 and I think she went through it around age 50 or so. I remember it being really bad for her. Sweating and hot flashes all the time. Being tired etc, and all the other lovely things that go on. I remember her telling me they had tried her on several different things before finding something that worked for her. I just hope I don't follow in her footsteps as far as menopause, maybe it wont be that bad for me, but I think since my periods are bad, not heavy no cramping, but hot and tired during that time, that menopause might be double bad for me.

So if you are going through menopause or have gone through it, how was it for you? Did it effect you like it did your mother?

Jade

I'll give a little feedback on this.

I am 37. My periods have been getting heavier and heavier for the past 2 years. They use to last normally 4-6 days. In the last year they have been so heavy I learned it is called "flooding". My periods last on average 3-4 days now but are so heavy a tampon with a super pad can't control the flow always and those are the days when I can't leave the house for about 7-9 hours because I will have a embarrassing accident. (Thats what sick days are for now...1-3xs per year)

I was told that I was peri-menopausal which is the start of the next 10 years or so of the menopause process. My hormone levels are changing. I have developed outbreaks of adult acne --I never really had acne problems till the last year, my hormones are more active in the fact that I want sex more and sex is also more satisifying, my adreniline levels have lowered and I am able to gain weight easier ( I never never had a problem with weight. I had a problem gaining it... now I can gain 5-10 lbs easily.)

My mother told me that my grandmother had to have 3 DNCs during her menopause process as well as some of her daughters. my mother had the flooding problems I am having. She told me I might have to look into having a DNC to remove some of the cells in my uterous to alleviate the flooding and clots.

Or as a doctor told me if it gets bad enough they recommend a hystrectomy. Which I don't want to have if I don't have too.

The symptoms I am having are a combo of my grandmother and my mother. My mom has confirmed that her sisters also had problems.

So I do believe that what your grandmother and mother (possibly aunts too) have experienced you have a high risk of a similiar path.

It doesn't hurt to know your dads side of the family either. Find out the females history on that side of the family. You maybe double dosed. I think I am..

Its all over if you go ONE full year with out a period..

I can't wait..