I think they get younger and younger!

I wasn't sure where to put this but anyway here it goes. My son is 8, last summer I noticed he had rank smelly arm pits! I was thinking "hes to young for this now." My husband smelled him as well, and said, "that smells just like BO." I don't mean he was smelly because he was hot and sweaty, but he actually had BO, period.

I remember I took him to the peditrition, and I asked him about this. He said, its not uncommon at all for kids to be starting eary puberty these days. He smelled him as well and said, "yep he has hit early puberty". So needless to say my eight year old has been wearing deodorant since last summer. I have talked with other moms I know that have kids around my sons age and I found out I'm not alone. I know of at least 3 other moms who are friends of mine whose kids are also having the BO problem and are wearing deodorant as well.

Well last night as my husband I and I were putting our kids to bed, I went in to kiss them. I walked in to kiss my daughter good night. She had on a tank top gown, and as I was kissing her I smelled something, that smelled very famliar to me. She had her arms up in the air laughing as I was kissing her, I happened to have my nose right there at her arm pit, and, she too smelled of BO. :confused: Her b-day is this thursday she will be 6! I'm like, I can't believe this, they are getting younger and younger with this puberty thing.

My doc had orginally told me when my son first got this problem to take him off regular milk and try him on soy milk for awhile, that sometimes it can be the milk. We did that for a few weeks. He said, if during that time he is on the soy milk, if his BO problem is still there then its not the milk and its actual puberty. It never changed.

A friend whose daughter is 7 and has the smelly pits problem too, told me she heard it was from all the growth hormones they inject in the foods/liquids these days, triggering early puberty. Even the water has it. So does anyone else have kids around 6-9 years old maybe who is going through puberty already? Or know of anyone whose child is? I do know I'm not alone in this, but sheesh now my almost 6 year old has it too. :confused:

Jade

One of my sons was the same way. My youngest. I have almost no sense of smell and I knew when I could smell him from across the room - it was really bad! I think he was 8 or 9 at the time.

He started to wear deodorant at the time because I knew it was a necessity! Now - at 14 - it is just habit to put it on right after he showers in the morning. It is bad even if he only waits ten minutes.

Doesn't necessarily mean they will start puberty earlier as he is just in the normal age range for the "major changes" for boys.

Just get him in the habit of wearing the deo. Tell him it's because he tends to be SO MANLY and studly, that ought to make him happier! :laugh:

I'm assuming their hygiene is otherwise good - even small children smell sour when they haven't bathed recently. Are they drinking enough water? Do you eat a lot of red meat? Actually meat in general - they pump poultry full of hormones too.

No, my almost 9 year old son does not appear to be maturing too early although his hygiene is something I have to be vigilant about - he's not as fond of bathing as he used to be and not as particular about wearing clean clothes. Recently he came home after a weekend with his Dad, turned out he had been wearing the same undies since he left my house. Stepmom had told him it was ok to wear clothes more than a day at a time - had to impress upon him that that did not include underwear. :sick:

blind_otter
My husband smelled him as well, and said, "that smells just like BO."

she too smelled of BO. :confused: Her b-day is this thursday she will be 6! I'm like, I can't believe this...

Jade

How do you know what I smell like? I happen to smell like coconut and lime. :p

• Author

Yep their hygenie is good. 2sunny yeah son has been wearing it since last summer, and he usually does a good job at remembering. Now its my daughter that I need to get some for. Wow, guess next, its going to be hair in places, bras, pads, razors etc! Ahh the joy of puberty! :p

Jade

• Author
How do you know what I smell like? I happen to smell like coconut and lime. :p

LOL not you BO, the other kind of BO. :p:laugh:

coconut and lime? Hmm? hawaiin tropic and a little tequilla eh? :p:lmao:

Jade

blind_otter
LOL not you BO, the other kind of BO. :p:laugh:

coconut and lime? Hmm? hawaiin tropic and a little tequilla eh? :p:lmao:

Jade

:lmao:

MY BF's son is stank. STANK. He's only 8 as well. I made him wear deoderant on valentine's day and he returned from school with his first girlfriend.

A friend whose daughter is 7 and has the smelly pits problem too, told me she heard it was from all the growth hormones they inject in the foods/liquids these days, triggering early puberty. Even the water has it. So does anyone else have kids around 6-9 years old maybe who is going through puberty already? Or know of anyone whose child is? I do know I'm not alone in this, but sheesh now my almost 6 year old has it too.
I think there is something in the food. I lived off of home-cooked meals with lots of pasta and red meat, and I didn't hit puberty until 14. The meat was always cooked throughly and well done. I probably didn't drink as much milk as I should have.

I think early puberty is a problem because your children could end up becoming very short.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/sexual/precocious.html