Make sure that you use the hottest water you can stand on your face before you start shaving. This makes the hair easier to cut.

Use high quality shaving lotion. The cheap stuff doesn't seem to lubricate as well.

And, perhaps most importantly, shave WITH the grain of your beard, not against it.

Lastly, don't go over and over and over an area. If you are using a good, sharp razor, one pass should take care of it.

Have you been to a barber for a shave? It is one of the greatest things you can do for yourself, and it is the closest shave you will ever get. No razor burn, either. I treat myself to this every payday. Try it!

An electric razor won't burn you, usually, but some men have a tough time getting a close shave with one.

• Author

cool, yeah I think the biggest problem recently has been the hot water. I need to call the land lady about it. sigh, and before that has been the cheap shaving creme but I recently bought some $4 stuff that advertises less razor burn - but this was also during my apartment's cold water reign.

Shave after a bath/shower, this seems to soften the hairs.

I used to get bad burn, but now I don't shave until after showering/bathing, good steamy room really helps.

bluechocolate
Shave after a bath/shower, this seems to soften the hairs.

Definitely.

Always shave after you shower. Never use disposables - they cut my face to s***. I use Gillette gel for sensitive skin - works a treat. Change your blades often - like every other day if you can afford it (why are those things so damn expensive?!)

Failing all that I remember using an Aramis Lab Series balm specifically for razor burn & that worked. I don't know if they make it anymore though.

bluechocolate
Not being a man, I can only guess, but wouldn't that after-shave LOTION help, too? It seems that it would at least be soothing. Gillette makes some, as does Old Spice.

Like pouring alcohol on an open wound! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!!

bluechocolate
I didn't mean the after shave cologne. I meant the creamy lotion.

my bad sorry - you even put lotion in CAPS!!

That stings, too?

Probably not.

Nivea do a good after shave balm, nice scent, of coconut I think.

There are a few good balms, they don't sting, and make your face all nice and soft!!!

Had to go back to this avatar after that post!