Steroids vs anabolic steroids?

I have a question. I know steroids are illegal. I also know they are just as easy to get ahold of than dope. However theres something called anabolic steroids that claim those are legal. I think anabolic steroids are not full blown steroids but have some key componets from steroids. I would think either way, they could be dangerous.

My husband who belongs to a body building forum, I have seen where he has been asking about these steroids. I even saw where he told someone that, he was against steroids, but yet inquired about a particular one and said if he got good feed back from others he might would try it. Now if thats not a contridiction I don't know what is. I don't know if he said that to appear to be "cool" to people who do take them or if theres a real interest there.

Heres the kicker. He goes to the gym every so often. Notice I didn't say alot, becasue he doesn't. He even lied in one of the body building forums and said he goes to workout about 4 times a week. No he doesn't. He is lucky if he goes 4 times a month. I don't even see why bother posting about it if you're gonna lie about it. It concerns me greatly that he is looking at these steroids. I do not think he is taking any right now, but I do think it possible he might. I have been told by others some thigns to look out for incase if he does. We have talked about this whole steroid issue before, and I'm against it and he claims to be as well. :confused:

What gets me is, he doesn't even really work out on a consistant basis, and has been going on/off to the gym for about a year now. This is just my opinon, but I'm wondering if he is looking for a quick "fix". Meaning he wants to be bigger quicker, from a steroid, without even doing the work to go along with it. He wants to be big but doesn't want to work out, doesn't make sense to me. I saw where he was on a site called legalsteroids, I really didn't think there was such a thing. I think its a money racket as well. Does anyone know about these anabolic steroids? This is what it seems he is looking at. Sorry so long, got carried away. This is one for the sites he was looking at.

http://legalsteroids.com/

Jade

Sounds to me he is having a great interests in this or he wouldn't be checking the steriods out.. I would keep a watch on it and maybe he is wanting a quick fix since he don't work out too much!! Sounds like a quick fix, but what he don't know that this is dangerous to his health .. If in fact he does this he will have behavioral change .. This isn't something he shouldn't be doing for a quick fix .. Why can't he just do the work ?

ReluctantRomeo
Does anyone know about these anabolic steroids? This is what it seems he is looking at.

There's some confusion here. Allow me to help :)

Anabolic means (very roughly) bodybuilding. The steroids used by bodybuilders *all* belong to the family of anabolic steroids.

I doubt that all steroids are illegal in the US, since many steroids have got nothing to do with bodybuilding, but have other applications eg asthma control.

• Author

I have been reading up on both kinds, and either way sounds like they can be dangerous. Theres really no reason to take them especailly if he is not even working out. Also some of these sites I saw he was on about steroids, it says legal, but if they were so legal, then they should be atainable for people to get at nutrition/health stores. I understand some things are, like certain supplements, but some of what he is looking at you can't buy in a store like that, plus some say discreet shipping, hmm? Also RR, you're right they do have to do with body building, but he doesn't even body build.

Jade

I take steriods for my allergies etc.. But I think they are different than the body building type.

My friends husband was taking them he is a wrestler, omg did he have a personality change he became very angry, quick tempered, violent. bad bad stuff.

They divorced this was one of the reasons.

• Author
I take steriods for my allergies etc.. But I think they are different than the body building type.

My friends husband was taking them he is a wrestler, omg did he have a personality change he became very angry, quick tempered, violent. bad bad stuff.

They divorced this was one of the reasons.

Yep some people do take steroids for things such as asthma and allergy. Some people even get like a cortizone shot for things such as arthritis too. However some of what he is looking at is not that type of steroid.

Jade

Ok some confusion here "Anabolic" means muscle hypertrophy(growth) steroids which is it will cause an increase in muscle size.Birth control pills for example are a steroid also, but not anabolic.If your hubby doesn't work out and takes the steroids it will be a complete waste of money because nothing really significant will change.THere are lots of steroids that do different things for example bulk up and or cut you up depending.

Testosterone will put on good size but the problem is you lose most of what you gain when you come off the drugs, again depending on if you are stacking drugs what you are taking etc etc.Anabolic steroids increase your protein synthesis allowing you to recover faster from intesne training and grow more muscle they also reduce cortisol a stress hormone that is catabolic (to breakdown your muscle which leads to atrophy).

These legal steroids in your link are just precursors to the hormone testosterone and are not close to the real thing but as close as you can get.If he doesn't work out its pointless and if he is scared of needle injections everyday he won't even go there,there are pills but intermuscular injections are better.

• Author

Hey thanks for your reply. I understand what you're saying, and as you can tell I know nothing about them really, but have done a little research on them. Personally I agree, it really will not benifit him at all since he doesn't really work out, and will probably work against him if anything. This has been a topic of conversation in our house before and he is always saying how against he is of these kinds of things however looks like he has or has let someone change his mind on the matter. I noticed from some of the other things he was looking at, that they are not sold in nutrition stores or places like GNC, but have to order online, I wonder why that is? If they work well for some people looks like they would be more accessable to get other than buying online. One of the ones he was checking out is called Androsteneione, which some athletes have been busted for using.

Jade

I have a question. I know steroids are illegal. I also know they are just as easy to get ahold of than dope. However theres something called anabolic steroids that claim those are legal. I think anabolic steroids are not full blown steroids but have some key componets from steroids. I would think either way, they could be dangerous.

As far as I know, no steroid is classed as illegal. You won't get arrested for being in possession of them in other words. Pro athletes get busted because its cheating. It's not a criminal offence though.

What gets me is, he doesn't even really work out on a consistant basis, and has been going on/off to the gym for about a year now. This is just my opinon, but I'm wondering if he is looking for a quick "fix". Meaning he wants to be bigger quicker, from a steroid, without even doing the work to go along with it.

Like scobro said, steroids won't change yoru physique without spending a lot of time in the gym. I'm not supporting drug use, but bodybuilders and pro athletes that use steroids work extremely hard. The steroids allow them to do exercise routines that would kill the average person.

So if your husband simply takes steroids the only thing he will gain from it is an increased risk of cancer.

ReluctantRomeo
RR, you're right they do have to do with body building, but he doesn't even body build.

Bodybuilding in the broadest sense - any kind of weight gain. But it is a bit freaky that he's not doing the gym work to go with it.