I think I’ve reached my limit. I’m fat, I know it, the scale knows it, but everybody (including my doctor) is telling me that I wear my weight well and that I’m chubby at best, not overweight. Nope, huh huh... not possible.

I’m a 28 years old woman measuring 5’2 and weighting 170lbs. And I’m sick of it. I’ve finally decided that it was time to make significant changes if I want to feel good in my own skin.

So today, I registered to the gym. I plan on going at least 3-4x a week. My boyfriend who’s been training 6 days a week for the past 10 years will draft me a training plan. I really want this time to be different. Every year or so, I join a gym, I train for 3 weeks than I stop. This cycle needs to end.

So I created this thread more for myself than anything. I’ll be accountable to you guys, even if nobody reads it. My ultimate goal is to reach 135lbs (so lose 35 pounds) in a year. I’m not looking for a miracle or something fast... but rather developing a new and healthier lifestyle that I’ll be able to maintain even after I reached my goal.

So today, is day 1 of this journey.

• Like 3

Hi my friend,

Good luck on your journey. Are you looking at other factors as well? Nutrition, stress, inflammation all play a part in overall health.

And please remember, you are always beautiful. No matter your weight.

Have a beautiful day.

• Like 1
  • Author
Hi my friend,

Good luck on your journey. Are you looking at other factors as well? Nutrition, stress, inflammation all play a part in overall health.

And please remember, you are always beautiful. No matter your weight.

Have a beautiful day.

Thank you!! Everytime I say I feel fat, people tell me : « no, you’re beautiful! ». I said I’m fat, not ugly :lmao:

Stress plays a huge role, and I hope that exercising will help reduce it. I set reachable goals at work and don’t bring work at home, that helps. I want to cut screens and meditate a bit before bed so I get a good night sleep (which would also help with stress). As nutrition goes, I’m actually quite good. I don’t drink soda or juice (only water and coffee), I only buy fruits, veggies, meat (including a lot of fish), whole grains... no cookies, or chips or whatever. Since I’m trying to keep a budget, I rarely eat out and I meal prep a lot, so food doesn’t seem to be a problem. I might consult a nutritionist to give me more ideas in that area.

I’m about to start Accutane soon and that scares me. Side effects can include extreme fatigue and joint pain which would affect my motivation, but I’ll take it one day at a time :)

• Like 1
Stress plays a huge role, and I hope that exercising will help reduce it.

Are you a "stress" emotional eater, using food as a comfort or reward?

That's been an issue for my wife throughout our marriage, though she's made some progress recently. Happy to share if applicable...

Mr. Lucky

Good stuff, best of luck with it,

the hardest part of building a wall is to start building it,

so you have taken the first step!

• Author
Are you a "stress" emotional eater, using food as a comfort or reward?

That's been an issue for my wife throughout our marriage, though she's made some progress recently. Happy to share if applicable...

Mr. Lucky

I’m not really an emotional eater... usually, when I’m going through something emotionally intense, I barely eat. But I have chronic stress (constant medium level) and it is scientifically proven that when we’re stressed, we tend to crave sweets and unhealthy food. For the last year, I’ve been pretty good at recognizing it and since I don’t buy cookies, candies or whatever, I can’t eat it ahah! My major problem is exercise. If after 2 months of this exercising regularly I don’t see any results, I’ll consult a nutritionist.

Actually, food/nutrition is the best way to drop the pounds, not exercise yourself to death.

Have you been tested for PCOS (that is a known cause of weight gain in women) which causes insulin resistance. Insulin resistance means that your body can't break down glucose properly so it spikes your blood sugar levels. Insulin resistance can also be a side effect of a hormonal imbalance or thyroid disease.

There are a ton of eating plans to combat being overweight. Low glycemic foods, Mediterranean meal plan, etc,.

The key is to stay away from ALL processed foods. Avoid fructose. Avoid processed all bakery items (make your own at home with applesauce instead of sugar). The more chicken, turkey, eggs, and veggies etc you eat, the weight will just fall off.

Hi!

Since you are not asking for advice, I won’t give anymore!

Instead, wishing good luck on your goals and your change in lifestyle! Please keep us updated and let us know how it goes!!!!

Have a beautiful day my friend!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Well, it’s been a great week so far.

I went to the gym 4 times this week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday) and planning on going tomorrow. I get up at 4am to go in the morning, but I have more energy after. I’m doing 40 minutes of weight training and 10-15 minutes of cardio afterwards.

Food wise, I meal preped and stuck to what I had prepared. Logging my food in MyFitnessPal. Whenever I crave sugar, I’ll have a few mini chocolate chips and it will be enough. So, I feel pretty good. My energy level is up and I feel a little happier in general. I don’t know how long it will last, but I hope it will keep on going.

Well, it’s been a great week so far.

I went to the gym 4 times this week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday) and planning on going tomorrow. I get up at 4am to go in the morning, but I have more energy after. I’m doing 40 minutes of weight training and 10-15 minutes of cardio afterwards.

Food wise, I meal preped and stuck to what I had prepared. Logging my food in MyFitnessPal. Whenever I crave sugar, I’ll have a few mini chocolate chips and it will be enough. So, I feel pretty good. My energy level is up and I feel a little happier in general. I don’t know how long it will last, but I hope it will keep on going.

Keep being proud of yourself. Going and doing at the gym is the hardest part, and you are doing it.

lonelyplanetmoon

The hardest thing about making it stick centers around lifestyle and choices.

You have to want to make healthy choices CONSISTENTLY. If you are begrudgingly making those choices then you will revert back to your old habits as that is what is comfortable.

Just know that it is hard at first to keep making the right choices but eventually if you do it long enough then that becomes your reality not your old ways.

Work on your attitude in happily making those choices.

Think of it as investing in your future self. You are very smart to be doing/starting this now. If you wait until you are 40 or 50, it will be 10x’s harder!

Good Luck! I'm also 5'2 and 170 pounds does sound pretty heavy. The most I ever weighed was 150 pounds and I felt HUGE at that weight. I look pretty good at 135 pounds but would prefer to get down to 125. If you are carrying the weight evenly all over your body then perhaps your doctor doesn't see it as a problem. I'm at the age where excess weight gathers around the mid section and excessive belly fat is a health risk. Your goal of losing the weight over the course of a year sounds doable.

• Author

@anika

Yes I carry my weight evenly... I know it sounds huge, but believe me when I say this, 60% of the time, I actually have to get on a scale to prove to people how much I weigh. My collegue is larger than me, and she’s 20 pounds lighter :lmao: ! I have a relatively flat stomach for my weight... when I gain, I get wider (hips) and not bigger.

Lost 2 pounds so far. Sticking to a 1350 calories intake a day and training 5x a week for an hour minimum. I don’t want to make big miracle changes... I just want to develop healthier habits that will continue overtime, even once my goal is reached.

Awesome!! I hope this works out well for you. I just reinstated my gym membership with the intention to build strength and I've been doing a horrible job :laugh: although the biggest factor is I just invested most of my money into a project and I cant afford extra food. Going to the gym makes me hungry and hunger makes me angry. I already eat $50+ in groceries a day oof

Anyway good luck to you Sophie the G :bunny:

• Author

@crispytoast Thank you!!! I’ve never been that motivated and this is surprising for me. Yesterday I was at the gym for 1h30 and it felt like 5 minutes. This morning, I woke up at 4am to go before work.

As for food, I’m doing pretty good, staying around 1400 calories a day, and I’m not starving or anything. I make sure to eat enough protein and I eat every 3 hours (6am = breakfast, 9am = snack, 12h= lunch, 3pm= snack and 6h30pm= dinner). I can already see a difference in my energy level.

So far so good... hope my motivation last ;) !

Good luck to you too!!!

• Author

Well, another pretty great week.

I ate around 1300 - 1400 calories per day (except on Friday when I indulge in 2 slices of pizza) and went to the gym 5 times.

Down 4 pounds in the last 3 weeks, which makes me happy. Slow and consistent progress.

• Like 3