Would you choose a doctor/surgeon or yoga/pilates instructor who is obese?

Veronica73

I probably wouldn’t choose a yoga instructor who was obese. I kind of doubt someone who is obese would be able to demonstrate very well. Although if he/she got rave reviews from people I trust, I might give it a try.

Yes, I would go to a doctor who is obese. I don’t think their personal issues with their weight would have any effect on how good of a doctor they are. In fact I know a doctor (not as a friend, but I have worked with him in the past), and he is probably obese, and is absolutely brilliant. Degrees from top schools. He writes articles, he’s created patented inventions that solve problems for which there were no previous solutions which have significantly improved his patients’ lives, and he is an incredibly nice, kind, caring person to boot.

I’ve never taken a Pilates class, so I don’t have an opinion on that.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

I look for the closest doctor that is in my plan. That is how I picked my PCP with the new plan I got in January. I haven't met him yet, but I am hopeful if I need him, he will help me.

I don't care if my doctor is overweight. I just ask that they take care of me, advise me of what I should be doing, if any changes are necessary and listen to me when I have a concern about my health.

What that doctor does with his/her body is none of my business.

I don't do yoga or Pilates, so I can't speak to that subject. I prefer my solitary bicycle rides early in the morning for my exercise.

• Like 1

My primary doctor is obese. I am interested in what he knows, not whether he practices it himself.

• Like 2

being overweight is ok but not obese or morbidly obese for these professions

• Like 2

I was listening to an eating disorder clinician recently on the radio. She says that lots of people who are overweight have an eating disorder. In other words, a mental health condition. It's a whole lot more complex than "eat less, move more".

I guess it begs the question as to whether you'd use one of these professionals if they had an invisible mental health condition which you didn't know about.

• Like 2
I guess it begs the question as to whether you'd use one of these professionals if they had an invisible mental health condition which you didn't know about.

well basil67, around 1 out of 5 people have a diagnosable mental health issue. that includes firefighers, cops, airline pilots, doctors, attorneys, plumbers, factory workers, engineers, etc...you get my drift

• Like 2

Exactly my point. We can discriminate against someone who’s mental health issue is obvious, then go and give our business to someone who has one which we don’t know about. It just shows how pointless it would be to discriminate in the first place.

• Like 2
major_merrick

I have no knowledge of yoga/pilates. But a doctor? Well, that depends on what we are calling obese. Some people are naturally big-boned. Others have a bit of extra weight. Some are REALLY fat. For someone who is in the category of "REALLY fat" like 100 pounds or more of extra weight, then that might change my view a bit. At some point, you'd like to find someone who practices what they preach about diet and exercise and all that.

But still - knowledge is what matters. I'd rather have an obese doctor who knows a lot about natural methods than a skinny doctor who will push vaccines at me.

• Like 1
LivingWaterPlease

I like to choose from the helping professions based on how obese their brains and hearts are! :)

• Like 3
  • Author
Are there obese pilates instructors?

One of the pilates instructors in our center is clearly obese (if I had to guess, her BMI might be about 40 or so). I’m finding myself avoiding choosing her as the instructor for my private sessions :o

• Author
I was listening to an eating disorder clinician recently on the radio. She says that lots of people who are overweight have an eating disorder. In other words, a mental health condition. It's a whole lot more complex than "eat less, move more".

I do believe many of the obese individuals have emotional eating problems.

• Author
June, do you believe she can't teach Pilates?

I think verbally might be fine, but like Veronica said, I’m not sure how well she can demonstrate the stuff to her clients.

thefooloftheyear

While it doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing, if you are supposed to be an instructor of Pilates or any other method of fitness you would hope that the person has enough sense to portray an image that the customer finds healthy and fit...

TFY

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
I think verbally might be fine, but like Veronica said, I’m not sure how well she can demonstrate the stuff to her clients.

She's probably very popular with overweight ladies who want to try yoga or pilates but are intimidated by all the other skinny women in the classes. She actually might have a lucrative client base.

• Like 4
  • Author
She's probably very popular with overweight ladies who want to try yoga or pilates but are intimidated by all the other skinny women in the classes. She actually might have a lucrative client base.

Indeed. I know there’re pilates classes tailored for obese clients. Though it would be an even better marketing strategy if she can demonstrate that pilates has helped her lose some weight.

Edited by JuneL
  • Like 1
thefooloftheyear
Indeed. I know there’re pilates classes tailored for obese clients. Though it would be an even better marketing strategy if she can demonstrate that pilates has helped her lose some weight.

Sure

I get CO's point...But if I had a drinking problem, and wanted to quit drinking I wont take the advice of a drunk...I want to hear/see the success stories of those that are sober....That would motivate me to be my best...

TFY

• Like 1

Pilaties isn't about weight loss - it's about core strength. This seems to be just a thinly veiled body shaming exercise.

One obese woman I knew was a former dancer. Despite her weight, she was still incredibly flexible. If an obese person can do the moves, there's no reason she can't teach.

• Like 3
  • Author
Pilaties isn't about weight loss - it's about core strength. This seems to be just a thinly veiled body shaming exercise.

One obese woman I knew was a former dancer. Despite her weight, she was still incredibly flexible. If an obese person can do the moves, there's no reason she can't teach.

I do agree that, in principle, pilates is not about losing weight. That’s why I had this question of whether it’s justified. Then I thought about those nurses who are obese themselves but trying to tell patients how to lose weight. I saw someone’s review saying that she never saw her instructor (not the one in our center) demonstrate certain relatively difficult moves due to her weight.

Edited by JuneL

If you know that pilates isn't about losing weight, why did you cite that in your example?

How many obese nurses have told you how to lose weight?

• Like 1
  • Author
If you know that pilates isn't about losing weight, why did you cite that in your example?

How many obese nurses have told you how to lose weight?

When I picked my private instructor from our center, I noticed that particular one had more available slots, and I also picked one who was fit and toned. Although pilates is not about weight loss per se, many people associate it with a healthy lifestyle. So I was just hoping to get people’s honest opinions on an anonymous forum, though I understand some may not be completely honest for fear of political correctness bashing.

I never had weight problems myself, but some of my friends would get offended when some nurse with a bigger weight issue told them how to lose weight.

I get CO's point...But if I had a drinking problem, and wanted to quit drinking I wont take the advice of a drunk...

But if I wanted cocktail recipes and mixology tips, alcoholism wouldn't be an exclusionary factor.

I'd have no problem seeing an obese professional in either field...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2
Happy Lemming

I never had weight problems myself, but some of my friends would get offended when some nurse with a bigger weight issue told them how to lose weight.

I once dated a "Nurse Practitioner" that was obese. I found her medical knowledge vast and quite helpful. She gave me some great advice. She worked with geriatric men and kind of warned me about what I should do and shouldn't do to maintain my health as I age.

Did it matter that she didn't follow her own advice (regarding weight), not at all. I appreciated the input I received.

All in all, we got along great and I very much enjoyed her company. I think we would have dated longer, but she wanted to have a baby and soon. She felt her bio-clock was running down (mid 30's). I didn't want children, so I was dismissed. I hope she found what she was looking for.

• Like 1