Anyone tried the Intermittent Fasting?

I've just finished watching a documentary done by our city Institute of Cardiology. He is encouraging this regiment to lose weight.

Curious if anyone tried it?

Thank you,

I've never done it intentionally Gaeta but I have never been hungry before 11:00 ish (unless I drank alcohol the night before.) So my natural inclination has been to have a large meal in the middle of the day with not much after.

Until menopause my weight has remained consistent, now I am 10-15 lbs more than my high school weight which was 110 at 5'2".

I think there is something to it as my weight hasn't fluctuated much my entire life. However, this came naturally and way before all this new research. It could be attributed to genetics.

People have to figure out what works best for themselves.

Eating healthy foods no matter what and cardiovascular exercise always works.

Are you thinking about doing this?

• Like 1
  • Author

Timshel I find the study interesting and might give it a try to lose a couple of lbs before summer and also to control arthosis pain. So far by cutting down carbs I am able to almost completely eliminate hips pain due to arthosis. I am reading the intermittent fast also eliminates inflammation in the body.

We've been fed so many false stories by food industry over the years like a big breakfast is important, which was created by the cereal industry in the 70s.

I am reading all I find on the subject and I am leaning toward the 5:2 fast.

If you think you won't be shocking yourself too much, it depends on your current eating schedule if 5/2 isn't a nail biter.

Since I don't usually eat till later in the morning, 16/8 works well for me. Most of that time I'm asleep anyway.

I do have to say, I feel great. Once in a while I get super busy and forget to eat much if anything but on the other side of that, I eat healthily, most of the time. I do occasionally have steak (once/3 months) and french fries a couple of times a month. So it's not radical.

Most of the time lot's of veggies and chicken/seafood. Not too much dairy or carbs but if I want, I have a glass of milk or pasta.

I guess I'll lose the 10 when I cut those out, haha.

Give it a try and if 5/2 makes you uncomfortable try 16/8.

• Like 1

I did it for a while about 10 years ago. I was working a desk job, so it wasn't really that hard to hold off on eating until around noon. I was never much of a breakfast person, either, so that helped.

If it fits your lifestyle, I think it's effective for weight management. I'll add that I think the primary reason it's effective is because it's simply a lot harder to overeat if you've got a limited feeding window. People who think it'll be some magic cheat code to weight loss will be disappointed.

• Like 1
RecentChange

Yep. That along with counting calories and exercising- I lost 35 pounds.

I am not hungry in the morning anyway, and always preferred a large dinner meal.

For me it was easy to put off eaten by until after my noon time run - usually eating my first small meal around 2 pm (after waking up at 5:30), and a full meal in the evening

• Like 1
LivingWaterPlease

I've done it off and on for years before I ever heard the term intermittent fasting. Works great.

I also fast one day a week most weeks. Last week I did a water fast two days in a row.

Have a friend who does a dry fast which I'd never heard of before he told me he did them. He is quite cautious about it. Is a scientist and researches a lot so is not in any danger. Has helped him tremendously with health challenges. However, I've never done a dry fast and never plan to.

• Like 1
  • Author
Yep. That along with counting calories and exercising- I lost 35 pounds.

I am not hungry in the morning anyway, and always preferred a large dinner meal.

For me it was easy to put off eaten by until after my noon time run - usually eating my first small meal around 2 pm (after waking up at 5:30), and a full meal in the evening

Congrats on the weight loss!! I could easily live without breakfast...if I have coffee :-)

I've decided to give it a try, I am doing the 5:2, fasting Tuesday and Friday. My mom will try the 6:18. Looking forward to see our results.

I always had great success maintaining with low-carb but the warm season is here and would love to enjoy fresh fruits and sweet veggies. Living in a nordic contry our choice of fresh fruits and veggis is limited during winter.

• Like 1
Ruby Slippers

Yes. I limited my eating time to between 12:00 noon and 8:00 pm and had good results, lost about 10 pounds and felt better all around. I'm gradually moving back toward that for the health benefits. When energy is freed up from near-constant digestion, it can redirect toward things like cellular healing.

Doing 5:2 at the moment. It's the easiest way to lose weight that I've ever tried. I want to lose a total of somewhere around 25-30lbs and have so far achieved 8lbs. I love how great I feel after a fasting day.

• Like 2
  • Author
Doing 5:2 at the moment. It's the easiest way to lose weight that I've ever tried. I want to lose a total of somewhere around 25-30lbs and have so far achieved 8lbs. I love how great I feel after a fasting day.

Congrats on your results! I did notice that I felt great the following day I fast, I was full of energy. I am glad to hear it's working great for you.

I've picked Tuesday and Friday to fast.

I also thought the following day of a fast I would be tempted to over eat and nope!

I've done it off and on for the past 3 yrs. I've had minimal results when it comes to weight loss but that's partly to do with menopause and how stubborn body fat becomes around that time. While I don't lose a ton of weight, intermittent fasting definitely helps me not gain anymore weight and it has many other benefits as well. Makes me feel more alert and energetic and it's super easy to do once the body gets used to it. I do an 18/6 fast but I'm thinking of trying a 5:2 fast to see if that results in better weight loss.

Michelle ma Belle

I've done it for a few years now with great success. I'm not sure which program you're using (as there are a few on the subject) but I would juice on my fasting days so I was still getting the jolt of nutrients without the calories, fat or carbs.

I've lost over 100lbs in the last 2 years.

I've now adopted a primarily vegetarian / vegan diet about 80% of the time with a few exceptions every now and again. It's been a game changer for me especially having just turned 50.

• Like 3
  • Author
I've done it for a few years now with great success. I'm not sure which program you're using (as there are a few on the subject) but I would juice on my fasting days so I was still getting the jolt of nutrients without the calories, fat or carbs.

I've lost over 100lbs in the last 2 years.

I've now adopted a primarily vegetarian / vegan diet about 80% of the time with a few exceptions every now and again. It's been a game changer for me especially having just turned 50.

Very impressive!! Congrats!

I am allowed to 500 calories on my fasting day. I chose veggies and fruits mostly.

So it’s not fast but low calorie? Do you eat any time of the day?

I thought IF is if you eat within short window, not calorie counting.

• Author
So it’s not fast but low calorie? Do you eat any time of the day?

I thought IF is if you eat within short window, not calorie counting.

There are several ways of doing the intermittent fasting

16:8 which means you fast for 16 hours (includes your sleeping time) and you eat within a window of 8 hours and no calorie count but don't over-eat

5:2: which means in your 7 days you pick 5 you eat normally and 2 you will fast, preferably not 2 days side by side. The 2 days you fast you are still allowed to eat up to 500 calories a day for a woman, 600 for a man. It's the plan I chose

20:4 which means fast 20 hours, eat for 4 hours

24 hour fast: which you eat for 24 hours and fast 24 hours and so on

Not all of them are sustainable long term. If you only have a small amount of weight to lose then you can pick 24-24 and be done in a week or other more drastic plan but if you want something to lose more weight, something that won't starve you then 16:8 or 5:2 is easier to manage long term.

Edited by Gaeta
  • Like 1
RecentChange

Oh I will say - when I lost weight using intermediate fasting....

I did a 6 / 18 daily fast, and I definitely counted calories - kept them in the 1300 a day range.

I just ate all my calories in two meals - most of it in one meal (first meal would be small 400 Cals or less)

• Like 1

As I understand it, on the 5:2 which is 2 days of fasting every week you are allowed up to 500 calories on a fasting day. On the 16:8 which is 16 hours of fasting every day it is a strict fast during the fasting hours. I generally fast from 7 PM until 12 noon.

Ive tried a juice fast twice,

got 1 1/2 days without any foods other than vegetable juices,

I guess it is good to give one's system a rest from time to time,

probably need to try it again

• Author

Well, something went wrong. I completed my 7 days today and scale shows + 1,5 lb. We ate twice at restaurant over the weekend, I made a point to not over-eat, ordered salad for lunch, ordered oat-meal at brunch......sucks!

Back on the saddle this morning.

WasOtherWoman

I stopped eating dinner years ago, before Intermittant Fasting was even "a thing".

I eat all of my meals between 8 am and 3 pm. Rarely do i eat anything after 3. I see no value whatsoever in dinner. Have kept my weight stable for 30 years this way (along with exercise, of course)

• Like 2
  • Author

Well it didn't work for me. I felt hunger almost each day. I went back to low carb and started losing immediately and on low carb I feel 0 hunger and 0 arthosis pain.

• Like 1

It's all about calories in vs calories out, but IF makes it easy to not overeat your calories and it keeps you looking lean outside of your eating window.

It's quite easy because, if you drink water throughout the day, you rarely get truly hungry. So you eat properly during a short eating window, you feel full and all kinds of snacking etc is less likely to happen.

But all depends on the individual.

• 2 weeks later...

IF can work for some people for weight loss, sure, but it is one of the worst diet methods for muscle/strength gain. If you do any type of consistent strength training with the goal of building muscle, IF should not be the diet method of choice for a large majority of people.

I've done 16:8 daily. Lost about 10 pounds. Tried Keto for a while and that worked (lost 13) but then I seemed to plateau. Don't eat processed food, try to stay away from junk food but LOVE pizza. I workout 4-5 days week lifting then cardio on off days. I keep a caloric deficit. However, I do allow a cheat day every now and then to keep my sanity. I try to stick to whole foods and drink plenty of water:) Doing this has kept me at a consistent weight...of course want to lose more