Alwayscats

Hey there

I’m getting really angry now with my hearing. I can’t hear what people are saying when they are talking to me or sometimes I can hear them talking but can’t understand what they are saying...it’s infuriating. I’ve had countless hearing tests and I can hear the beeping sound pretty well as I’m good at hearing high frequency sounds but I cannot hear properly. Even my tv is so loud at the moment...

I don’t know what to do... it’s upsetting me :( does anybody have any tips. I’m going back to the doctors again. The lady I saw at the hospital for my hearing no disprespect to her but she couldn’t barly talk English and she couldn’t understand how frustrating this is.

Just as your eyes take in a visual image, it’s your brain that interprets what you see. If there is a problem with true physical structures of your eyes, it can be easily corrected by wearing glasses. If there is a cortical visual impairment, there is a problem in the brain that affects vision - and glasses will not make much difference.

The same is true for hearing. An audiologist tests your hearing, but if there is nothing wrong with the physical structures in your ear then the test may be normal. The problem may in fact occur in your brain. Auditory processing describes the way your brain processes and understands what is heard. For example, when someone tells another person something and that person says “what” - that’s a delay in auditory processing - the understanding of language.

Perhaps this is contributing to your problem? I don’t know. But I would ask the doctor and the audiologist to consider an auditory processing disorder?

And, I have fluctuating hearing because my ears have fluctuating amounts of fluid at any given time. The last time my hearing was tested the audiologist told me that she has no doubt my hearing fluctuates day to day depending on the amount of fluid in my ears...

• Like 1

You just need to see an ENT doctor and get a hearing aid. I can't believe some doctor at the hospital is ignoring your problem, but maybe with broken English they said, See an ENT, and you didn't understand.

• Like 1
major_merrick

I would say you ought to see a special audiologist, not some general doctor with a foreign accent and a box that you sit in. My husband has a similar issue to yours, and he says "Anybody can hear a beep in a quiet box." He always tests great (required by his work) but his hearing in his left ear is terrible. He can hear the fact that a sound exists, but can't identify what it is.

How did you get your hearing loss? My husband's was a combination of gunfire and an impact to the left side of his head. Is your hearing loss worse on one side?

• Author
Alwayscats
I would say you ought to see a special audiologist, not some general doctor with a foreign accent and a box that you sit in. My husband has a similar issue to yours, and he says "Anybody can hear a beep in a quiet box." He always tests great (required by his work) but his hearing in his left ear is terrible. He can hear the fact that a sound exists, but can't identify what it is.

How did you get your hearing loss? My husband's was a combination of gunfire and an impact to the left side of his head. Is your hearing loss worse on one side?

Thank you for all of your replies. I was born with hearing problems and have had gromits and everything. I also get crazy amounts of wax and also I have scarring on my ear drums from where they stringed them. Sometimes I cannot hear at all. The doctor I saw was an audiologist in the ent department.

Thank you

Edited by Alwayscats
Spelling
whichwayisup

Have you had your ears cleaned out by a nurse or Dr?

Find another Dr and do more tests, make sure they know your medical history too.

• 1 month later...
I also get crazy amounts of wax and also I have scarring on my ear drums from where they stringed them.

Gosh, that's horrible. I am amazed by the amount of doctors and ENTs who just shrug at me and say 'there's a lot of wax in there' but don't do anything about it or provide any help. But maybe this scarring is why some don't do it. I got them washed out after they were both nearly 100% blocked. I do ear drops from time to time to try to manage it because of my curly ear canals. I will be interested to hear if you have had any luck. It's incredibly frustrating and isolating when you can't hear.