LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Lady problem

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th April 2019, 9:21 PM   #1
Established Member

Lady problem

I am experiencing something I have never before. Since the word go I have had menstrual troubles (sorry guys, this is a question for the ladies like I said). I have experienced very heavy periods almost all my life, up until a really horrible time about 6/7 years ago when I had fibroids that blew and my period literally did not stop for a year. And they were literally gushers, I had to stand in the shower when I took my pants down to use the bathroom because the blood was so heavy. It stopped fortunately with time, but that's another story.

I had marked on the calendar that it was supposed to come last weekend, and ... Nothing. I had backaches like I usually would have and felt a certain bloating in the middle so I was ready. The week before I had had a little breakage, as in a few drips here and there. I was thinking this was just the beginning but ... It didn't happen. And no, I am not pregnant. I had heard once that there are some women out there depending on other factors that have very lite periods, even some athletes who don't get them at all when they are doing a lot of physical activity. I am not that physically active these days thanks to doing a lot of traveling for work and sitting at desks the whole time pretty much so that can't be it. I also took up this 30 day water challenge where I was drinking a gallon of water everyday (yes, a gallon) and there were good results (my skin cleared up, bloating went down, I was hydrated at all times, etc.) but water drinking would do this? I'd never heard of that. I am also 44, I know I am getting older. Is it possible that one can go from having very heavy ones to barely anything? I keep waiting for my period to come this month and it's ... Not. Suggestions?

Last edited by mortensorchid; 9th April 2019 at 9:25 PM.. Reason: Additional information
mortensorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2019, 9:32 PM   #2
Established Member

Anything is possible, but I can't imagine water being the cause. If you had really bad, heavy periods, you may have some kind of ovarian issue. I've had bad and irregular periods my whole life. Like, go for months without and then bleed suddenly for 2-3 weeks. You may have just had a really light period and its over, leaving you wondering what happened. If you haven't been having unprotected sex, just give it time. Wear your liners or tampons to ease your mind. Can't make your body do it if it isn't going to.
Old 9th April 2019, 9:34 PM   #3
Established Member

Fibroids throw everything out of whack. I eventually got a hysterectomy as a result.

If you get the opportunity for one do it! It's the best thing ever!
Cersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2019, 10:58 PM   #4
Established Member

Irregular periods in your mid-forties.....first think I would think of is menopause starting to occur.
Artdeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2019, 11:15 PM   #5
Established Member

I have always been regular, you could set your calendar by my schedule... until I was about your age. This last year or two, anything goes. Very irregular. It was also the first time I missed a period. Itís happened twice now. I went to my doctor who checked it out and said yes, in perimenopause anything goes...
Old 9th April 2019, 11:22 PM   #6
Established Member

Maybe you have PCOS. What did your doctor say?
Old 10th April 2019, 3:47 AM   #7
Established Member

It's impossible to give you a remote diagnosis, but I think it might just be the first signs of menopause.

Btw, I've had the same problem with extremely heavy and painful periods my whole life. Usually accompanied by dizziness & nausea That's why I finally went back on the pill in my 40s. I just couldn't stand it anymore and when I take the pill, I usually don't get my period at all. Such a relief...
LauraXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 4:09 AM   #8
Established Member

Yes, I went from heavy to nothing....it was menopause. I haven't had a period since I was 42.

Do you have any other menopause symptoms? Hot flashes, unexplained anxiety, mood swings, itching?
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 9:05 AM   #9
Established Member

My first guess would be perimenopause. Not full blown menopause...but this sort of thing can start happening in the years leading up to menopause where you'll get irregular and your periods can change significantly from month to month or even skip here and there.

I'd call your OBgyn.
Wallysbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 9:16 AM   #10
Established Member

these questions are for your ob/gyn

- The Eagles
alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 12:07 PM   #11
Established Member

I don't think it's any more complicated than you're getting to the age where you're going to see some irregularity. Skipped periods, early periods, variations in flow. Welcome to peri-menopause.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 12:40 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic View Post
I don't think it's any more complicated than you're getting to the age where you're going to see some irregularity. Skipped periods, early periods, variations in flow. Welcome to peri-menopause.
Yup, at 44 itís not uncommon. As a matter of fact, I started that joyride (not) way before turning 40.
Artdeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 8:14 PM   #13
Established Member

It's usually perimenopause.

Shorter lighter and or irregular periods signal your egg reserve running low) out.
Leigh 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 8:18 PM   #14
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_merrick View Post
Anything is possible, but I can't imagine water being the cause. If you had really bad, heavy periods, you may have some kind of ovarian issue. I've had bad and irregular periods my whole life. Like, go for months without and then bleed suddenly for 2-3 weeks. You may have just had a really light period and its over, leaving you wondering what happened. If you haven't been having unprotected sex, just give it time. Wear your liners or tampons to ease your mind. Can't make your body do it if it isn't going to.
It had a heavy year long period lasting a full 12 months. Until my naturopath saved me.

It was due to PCOS alone.

Where as her bleeding was due to fibroids

PCOS usually shows its ugly head a lot earlier than age 44. Perimenopause or menopause comes to mind in your 40s, not PCOS.
Leigh 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 8:45 AM   #15
Established Member

As others have said... possible Perimenopause. I would think a trip to a your OB or even an endocrinologist to have your levels checked.

I'm a guy, and I can't imagine how rough that could be.
Blind-Sided is offline   Reply With Quote