Pain relief without alcohol or drugs

major_merrick

My husband got his leg broken in a car wreck today. Right now he's in the "pissed off" phase because his car is totaled, but he's going to be feeling the pain pretty soon. He gave up alcohol a while back, and has refused any prescriptions. Besides OTC non-addictive pain pills, is there anything I can do to help him? I'm thinking that Tylenol and Aleve aren't going to be much help. I suggested some feverfew and a glass of natural ginger ale, but he hasn't taken me up on it yet.

For OTC meds, when taken together paracetamol and ibuprofen are quite efficient. Hospital gave it to my daughter when she broke her tailbone and it soothed her quite a lot.

amaysngrace

How about a hot epsom salt soak in the tub? You’ll need to use quite a bit of salt, kind of like dump a bunch in there, but it’s really very soothing.

I’m sorry to hear about the accident. I hope nothing is too serious.

• Like 2

got to make sure some bones aren't broken that also need casting or an operation - after that, you could consider acupuncture or physical therapy.

• Like 2
  • Author
major_merrick
For OTC meds, when taken together paracetamol and ibuprofen are quite efficient. Hospital gave it to my daughter when she broke her tailbone and it soothed her quite a lot.

We're using acetaminophen and naproxen for OTC meds. It seems to work OK. He can't use ibuprofen - it totally changes his personality and mood. He has told me that the acetaminophen/naproxen combination works about as well as "half a hydrocodone." But that's at the maximum dose.

Thankfully, it was a clean break and the doc at the quick clinic was able to set it. Initially he crawled out of the car and was walking on it and swearing. He also has a concussion and a couple of deep cuts, but he's super mad about his car. Of course the insurance company will pay for it - the other driver ran a red light and smacked him right in the driver's door.

Just like me, he's a very "impatient" patient. He refused an ambulance and refused to let EMT's evaluate him, threatening legal action if they came within six feet of him. He stitched his cuts with a med kit from the trunk of his car while he sat on the side of the road talking to the cops. He refused a wheelchair at the clinic and insists on hopping around with a cane instead of using crutches. He refuses all prescriptions, and insisted on a splint instead of a cast so that he can cram his foot and ankle into his normal boots - AND GO TO WORK ON MONDAY. He just got back from a business trip, and insists that he has an important meeting to attend. He has a doctor's report and everything, and he could take a couple of weeks of paid sick leave, but he refuses. I have my work cut out for me. :laugh:

amaysngrace

Also if you double up the Aleve it’s close to prescription strength. I’ve taken that before and it helps a lot with pain.

amaysngrace

Oh wow, just read your last post and yes you do have your work cut out for you.

He probably shouldn’t be walking around on a broken leg. I’m no doctor but that just sounds like a bad time.

I would remind him that walking around on a broken leg carries a real risk of leaving permanent deformity if the bones casted are under too much pressure to reform into the correct shape, and that problem, would leave him in pain forever. Best to let those bones heal properly. No amount of manliness and "tough it up" can make the reconstructive abilities of the body go faster than the bones ability to heal itself :p

• Author
major_merrick

Thankfully, he's not walking on it anymore. That was just after the accident. Adrenaline can do some amazing things. He told me he only realized it was broken when he felt something moving around inside his leg! Nope, he's just hopping around, which I think is bad enough. He has a high pain tolerance, and he has been stabbed and shot before. He's a big believer in "tough it out" but I've told him that he might get hurt worse. He says he MUST go to work, to set an example that duty comes first.

What is it about men that makes them worry about what others think before they worry about their own health? He actually griped about the "indignity" of going into the clinic with one boot off. I'm like...wow. It is a clinic....pretty sure they've seen worse. :lmao: I love his sense of humor and his stubbornness, but it is driving me crazy today. Even in significant pain, it is still very clear....he's the one giving the orders. I wish he could let me take care of him!

• Like 1
He refused an ambulance and refused to let EMT's evaluate him, threatening legal action if they came within six feet of him. He stitched his cuts with a med kit from the trunk of his car while he sat on the side of the road talking to the cops. He refused a wheelchair at the clinic and insists on hopping around with a cane instead of using crutches. He refuses all prescriptions, and insisted on a splint instead of a cast so that he can cram his foot and ankle into his normal boots - AND GO TO WORK ON MONDAY. He just got back from a business trip, and insists that he has an important meeting to attend. He has a doctor's report and everything, and he could take a couple of weeks of paid sick leave, but he refuses. I have my work cut out for me. :laugh:

MM, is this behavior you endorse? Doesn't just sound like "boys will be boys" to me...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

Thing to remember about Tylenol, take it twice a day consistently while this is going on. Its effectiveness increases some in about 3 days, builds up. I didn't know that but a dentist had me do it ahead of getting a wisdom tooth out and it really helped.

Penguin_hugs

I'm a pharmacist in the UK- I work in a NHS hospital on wards- I don't dispense any medications as my role is clinical- and I'm not biased by being paid from the private sector or drug companies.

I really do recommend regular analgesia- paracetamol/acetaminophen 1g four times a day regularly- it is safe to take at the maximum dose consistently. This will give a level of baseline pain control. And you can take the naproxen too- 250mg three to four times a day- make sure that is taken with food to avoid any gastric irritation.

Even if your husband is insisting on working- make sure he rests when he gets home and doesn't continure dashing about.

Maybe he could try a TENS machine?

I hope he feels better soon

• Like 1
got to make sure some bones aren't broken that also need casting or an operation - after that, you could consider acupuncture or physical therapy.

This.

If there’s no need for surgery, the break is probably pretty stable. Try to avoid synthetic opioids unless it’s absolutely necessary. Unfortunately pain is something very subjective and based on self report. So doctors tend to happily give out those super strong painkillers when patients claim they need them.

Does his leg have swelling and bruises? He probably needs to ice and elevate his broken leg regularly.

p.s. I read that NSAIDs can delay or complicate bone healing.

Edited by JuneL
  • Like 1
  • Author
major_merrick

So far, the acetaminophen/naproxen combination seems to be working. He definitely hasn't lost any of his vigor. Definitely not behavior I endorse, but I don't have much control over it. He got home, ate dinner, and has just dashed off to go look at a car. He simply will not stay still and rest. He's already talking about dragging out tools to pull the engine from his old car because he doesn't want the salvage yard to have it.

When I make suggestions that he should slow down, his attitude has been...difficult. Pain changes his personality a bit, and has really brought out his stubborn side.

• Author
major_merrick

The left tibial shaft got broken, the fibula remained intact somehow. It was caused by the impact that bowed the door of his car inward into his leg. It was a single, closed fracture, clean, and not totally broken through, so they didn't have to operate.

• Like 1
The left tibial shaft got broken, the fibula remained intact somehow. It was caused by the impact that bowed the door of his car inward into his leg. It was a single, closed fracture, clean, and not totally broken through, so they didn't have to operate.

Okay. I take it that the break occurs in the middle of the lower leg, away from the joint. My best friend broke her ankle (fibula) a few years ago with a very tiny bit of displacement. She didn’t feel much pain, and only took a pill of tylenol (or paracetamol/acetaminophen) here and there when needed. She was in a cast for 6 weeks and had to undergo serious physical therapy to regain her strength and flexibility. The good thing about keeping up with mobility is that your hubby’s leg will have minimal loss of strength and flexibility once recovered. Of course, there’s a risk that the break may get worse. Some orthopedists would let their patients walk in an air boot in such a situation.

Edited by JuneL
LivingWaterPlease

Ice the first couple days to keep inflammation down. Makes a big difference. Not sure how long it's been since the injury now.

Sounds as if you've gotten advice on OTCs that will help.

I've used Chanca Piedra for pain. Research it online. Works about as well as NSAIDS, also breaks up any kidney stones in the process and you can pass them without pain. I've had experience with this and it works great.

Had a friend who was an MD tell me I could use naproxen sodium double max dose for a couple of days and that would be prescription strength. I think that's if you have no kidney problems.

Have read that CBD oil in high doses also works. Have only tried it in low dose and it did nothing for me.

Definitely not behavior I endorse, but I don't have much control over it. He got home, ate dinner, and has just dashed off to go look at a car. He simply will not stay still and rest. He's already talking about dragging out tools to pull the engine from his old car because he doesn't want the salvage yard to have it.

When I make suggestions that he should slow down, his attitude has been...difficult. Pain changes his personality a bit, and has really brought out his stubborn side.

I get it but you're advocating for two now, your child needs him to think long-term. The pain and changes to one's gait from a poorly addressed orthopedic situation can be debilitating. This is no longer just about him...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
  • Author
major_merrick

I think I took the wrong approach trying to get him to settle down. We argued about it when he got home last night. I tried to convince him logically, and it absolutely did not work. Wife #2 curled up to him on the couch in the living room, and laid her head in his lap. He stayed put until bedtime. I really wish I knew how to act cute. :confused: I'm guessing that physical affection also works as a mild pain reliever.

RecentChange

How bad was his concussion? As a couple who engage in action sports - head injuries concern me much more than broken limbs. I am and my husband have had some doosy - my husband had a wreck recently still isn't quite right 3 weeks post accident.

If it was extremely mild, proceed as you are - if he had a concussion of any significance its VITAL that he get proper amounts of sleep. And from what you have posted in the past - he often doesn't. Brains just like limbs need to heal, and that healing occurs during sleep. Injured brains can't function well, brain injuries can lead to mood, and personality changes, and greater risk of suicide etc.

And as someone who is rough and tumble, married to someone who is rough and tumble, and we BOTH hate doctors.... (my husband also will not take prescription pain meds) here are some suggestions.

For acute injuries (that is what this is) avoid heat therapy - that is fine for any sore back etc muscles he may have - but not the leg. That area you want to ice for 20 mins at a time to reduce inflammation and increase circulation.

Read up on lymphatic message techniques - this too will help circulation, reduce inflation (which causes pain) and increase relaxation (which reduces pain).

General well being - I am a huge proponent of massage. A good massage can relax muscles head to toe, bringing on a state of contentment that can really help pain management. In general - pain makes for tight muscles, pulls the body out of symmetry etc which often creates a domino effect on the body. Injured leg then leads to a tight back, which leads to sore shoulders etc.

Even a good hand massage can be a distraction from throbbing pain.

Other things - Arnica, its a homeopathic plant, used in gels and cream. I am usually not one for "herbal" treatments, but this one actually has scientific findings to back it up. Its an inflation reducer and helps relieve bruising etc. Its good for incorporating into massage treatment of injured areas.

I think a good full body massage each day should help a lot with his pain and mood. Will Mr. Stubborn agree to that? Mine also tries to resist just about any help - but I can convince him to let me ice and bandage, and to massage.

• Author
major_merrick

@RecentChange

I really have no idea how bad the concussion was. He was dizzy, nauseated, and had a major headache for a while, I think he got a pretty hard blow in the accident. He had glass bits in his hair and bled quite a bit. In spite of his stubborn nature, he has been sleeping more the last couple of days. He's currently knocked out on the couch with Wife #2 and his favorite cat.

Unless Arnica comes in a pill, I know I won't get him to submit to that. He refuses anything that goes on the skin except soap. "Lotion is for girls." Same thing with ice. He might let me massage him a bit, but Wife #2 seems to have that covered with the "soft and sweet" routine. She has gentler hands than I do, so I'll chat with her and see if I can get her to do that part. Contentment would be good - and my efforts haven't led to that so I'm backing off a bit.

I fractured my tibia and fibula about 18months ago....I'm afraid I was exactly like your husband. I went to work before I went to the hospital for x-rays, and I didn't take a single pain killer. I even carried on driving with my bad foot.

lana-banana

"Lotion is for girls"? Seriously? He sounds like a child. Does he think that about sunscreen, too?

Edited by lana-banana
  • Like 2