LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Pain relief without alcohol or drugs

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th March 2019, 8:17 PM   #16
Established Member

The left tibial shaft got broken, the fibula remained intact somehow. It was caused by the impact that bowed the door of his car inward into his leg. It was a single, closed fracture, clean, and not totally broken through, so they didn't have to operate.
Old 25th March 2019, 8:29 PM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_merrick View Post
The left tibial shaft got broken, the fibula remained intact somehow. It was caused by the impact that bowed the door of his car inward into his leg. It was a single, closed fracture, clean, and not totally broken through, so they didn't have to operate.
Okay. I take it that the break occurs in the middle of the lower leg, away from the joint. My best friend broke her ankle (fibula) a few years ago with a very tiny bit of displacement. She didn’t feel much pain, and only took a pill of tylenol (or paracetamol/acetaminophen) here and there when needed. She was in a cast for 6 weeks and had to undergo serious physical therapy to regain her strength and flexibility. The good thing about keeping up with mobility is that your hubby’s leg will have minimal loss of strength and flexibility once recovered. Of course, there’s a risk that the break may get worse. Some orthopedists would let their patients walk in an air boot in such a situation.

Last edited by JuneL; 25th March 2019 at 8:33 PM..
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2019, 8:39 PM   #18
Established Member

Hereís an article about using NSAIDs for broken bones...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art.../#!po=0.657895
Old 25th March 2019, 8:50 PM   #19
Established Member

Ice the first couple days to keep inflammation down. Makes a big difference. Not sure how long it's been since the injury now.

Sounds as if you've gotten advice on OTCs that will help.

I've used Chanca Piedra for pain. Research it online. Works about as well as NSAIDS, also breaks up any kidney stones in the process and you can pass them without pain. I've had experience with this and it works great.

Had a friend who was an MD tell me I could use naproxen sodium double max dose for a couple of days and that would be prescription strength. I think that's if you have no kidney problems.

Have read that CBD oil in high doses also works. Have only tried it in low dose and it did nothing for me.
LivingWaterPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2019, 7:53 AM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Definitely not behavior I endorse, but I don't have much control over it. He got home, ate dinner, and has just dashed off to go look at a car. He simply will not stay still and rest. He's already talking about dragging out tools to pull the engine from his old car because he doesn't want the salvage yard to have it.

When I make suggestions that he should slow down, his attitude has been...difficult. Pain changes his personality a bit, and has really brought out his stubborn side.
I get it but you're advocating for two now, your child needs him to think long-term. The pain and changes to one's gait from a poorly addressed orthopedic situation can be debilitating. This is no longer just about him...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2019, 7:18 PM   #21
Established Member

I think I took the wrong approach trying to get him to settle down. We argued about it when he got home last night. I tried to convince him logically, and it absolutely did not work. Wife #2 curled up to him on the couch in the living room, and laid her head in his lap. He stayed put until bedtime. I really wish I knew how to act cute. I'm guessing that physical affection also works as a mild pain reliever.
major_merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2019, 7:41 PM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
When I make suggestions that he should slow down, his attitude has been...difficult. Pain changes his personality a bit, and has really brought out his stubborn side.
How bad was his concussion? As a couple who engage in action sports - head injuries concern me much more than broken limbs. I am and my husband have had some doosy - my husband had a wreck recently still isn't quite right 3 weeks post accident.

If it was extremely mild, proceed as you are - if he had a concussion of any significance its VITAL that he get proper amounts of sleep. And from what you have posted in the past - he often doesn't. Brains just like limbs need to heal, and that healing occurs during sleep. Injured brains can't function well, brain injuries can lead to mood, and personality changes, and greater risk of suicide etc.

And as someone who is rough and tumble, married to someone who is rough and tumble, and we BOTH hate doctors.... (my husband also will not take prescription pain meds) here are some suggestions.

For acute injuries (that is what this is) avoid heat therapy - that is fine for any sore back etc muscles he may have - but not the leg. That area you want to ice for 20 mins at a time to reduce inflammation and increase circulation.

Read up on lymphatic message techniques - this too will help circulation, reduce inflation (which causes pain) and increase relaxation (which reduces pain).

General well being - I am a huge proponent of massage. A good massage can relax muscles head to toe, bringing on a state of contentment that can really help pain management. In general - pain makes for tight muscles, pulls the body out of symmetry etc which often creates a domino effect on the body. Injured leg then leads to a tight back, which leads to sore shoulders etc.

Even a good hand massage can be a distraction from throbbing pain.

Other things - Arnica, its a homeopathic plant, used in gels and cream. I am usually not one for "herbal" treatments, but this one actually has scientific findings to back it up. Its an inflation reducer and helps relieve bruising etc. Its good for incorporating into massage treatment of injured areas.

I think a good full body massage each day should help a lot with his pain and mood. Will Mr. Stubborn agree to that? Mine also tries to resist just about any help - but I can convince him to let me ice and bandage, and to massage.
Old 26th March 2019, 9:17 PM   #23
Established Member

@RecentChange

I really have no idea how bad the concussion was. He was dizzy, nauseated, and had a major headache for a while, I think he got a pretty hard blow in the accident. He had glass bits in his hair and bled quite a bit. In spite of his stubborn nature, he has been sleeping more the last couple of days. He's currently knocked out on the couch with Wife #2 and his favorite cat.

Unless Arnica comes in a pill, I know I won't get him to submit to that. He refuses anything that goes on the skin except soap. "Lotion is for girls." Same thing with ice. He might let me massage him a bit, but Wife #2 seems to have that covered with the "soft and sweet" routine. She has gentler hands than I do, so I'll chat with her and see if I can get her to do that part. Contentment would be good - and my efforts haven't led to that so I'm backing off a bit.
major_merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2019, 10:01 PM   #24
Established Member

I fractured my tibia and fibula about 18months ago....I'm afraid I was exactly like your husband. I went to work before I went to the hospital for x-rays, and I didn't take a single pain killer. I even carried on driving with my bad foot.
mrs rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2019, 7:10 AM   #25
Established Member

"Lotion is for girls"? Seriously? He sounds like a child. Does he think that about sunscreen, too?

Last edited by lana-banana; 27th March 2019 at 7:14 AM..
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2019, 9:35 AM   #26
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs rubble View Post
I fractured my tibia and fibula about 18months ago....I'm afraid I was exactly like your husband. I went to work before I went to the hospital for x-rays, and I didn't take a single pain killer. I even carried on driving with my bad foot.
Did you not get a cast for your ankle fracture? I understand it’s illegal to drive with a cast on the leg.

There are different types of ankle fractures. For those whose ankles are dislocated, the pain can be excruciating. My best friend’s fractured bone was just displaced very slightly, so she didn’t have nearly as much pain compared to others. I think she only took a handful of tylenols during the whole ordeal.
Old 27th March 2019, 12:19 PM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky View Post
I get it but you're advocating for two now, your child needs him to think long-term. The pain and changes to one's gait from a poorly addressed orthopedic situation can be debilitating. This is no longer just about him...

Mr. Lucky
Iím not sure which of his legs is broken. If he insists on driving on his bad leg, then itís also about the safety of others on the roads.
Old 27th March 2019, 12:55 PM   #28
Established Member

Quote:

Just like me, he's a very "impatient" patient. He refused an ambulance and refused to let EMT's evaluate him, threatening legal action if they came within six feet of him. He stitched his cuts with a med kit from the trunk of his car while he sat on the side of the road talking to the cops. He refused a wheelchair at the clinic and insists on hopping around with a cane instead of using crutches. He refuses all prescriptions, and insisted on a splint instead of a cast so that he can cram his foot and ankle into his normal boots - AND GO TO WORK ON MONDAY. He just got back from a business trip, and insists that he has an important meeting to attend. He has a doctor's report and everything, and he could take a couple of weeks of paid sick leave, but he refuses. I have my work cut out for me.
This is more than impatient, this is major control issues and stubborness beyond reasonable. I don't know how you'll deal with him! Good luck!

He is the one who suffers in the end. If he takes tylenol 2's he won't become addicted. If anything he'll get constipated.
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2019, 2:50 PM   #29
Established Member

Yeah refusing ice?

I am going agree with some others, that goes beyond stubborn and straight to unreasonable.

If he had a concussion bad enough to cause nausea it must have been fairly significant. Glad his body is taking control a bit and he is sleeping more. Concussions often cause drowsiness because the body NEEDS sleep to heal.

As for massage, tender gentle touches arenít the type that go deep and really stimulate healing and circulation. I am strong, and literally use my body weight - often bracing my thigh against my elbow to give more ďumphĒ to push deep, but itís something I have studied so I have a handle on technique.

Honestly, I canít imagine being in your shoes. If someone was injured, then refusing all reasonable care.... And then acted grumpy due to pain I would tell them to go Fí yourself.

Take care of yourself properly, and allow people to assist you so that you can not only have less pain, but have a better chance at healing. Minor injuries can easily become life long sources of pain and issues when not handled properly. I am understanding of bad attitudes and how pain affects mood IF they are agreeing to make an effort to lessen it.

If my ďpatientĒ was refusing help, I would demand that they check their attitude.

Canít have it both ways.
RecentChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2019, 4:34 PM   #30
Established Member

Quote:
@RecentChange

I really have no idea how bad the concussion was. He was dizzy, nauseated, and had a major headache for a while, I think he got a pretty hard blow in the accident. He had glass bits in his hair and bled quite a bit. In spite of his stubborn nature, he has been sleeping more the last couple of days. He's currently knocked out on the couch with Wife #2 and his favorite cat.

Unless Arnica comes in a pill, I know I won't get him to submit to that. He refuses anything that goes on the skin except soap. "Lotion is for girls." Same thing with ice.
I wonder how many of these beliefs would be enforced were your child to be somehow injured?

Mr. Lucky
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote