Has anybody had or does anybody know about a Pituitary Tumour?

I've been feeling "off" for a while, not so in control of my emotions, and very prone to low and anxious feelings triggered by nothing in particular. Had a variety of symptoms for a while - constant hunger, dizziness, brain fog, weakness, migraines, mood fluctuations, feeling over-emotional and always fatigued. Sometimes I feel a deep rage inside of me which is irrational in response to the minor things that trigger this feeling but I have never acted on it. I've been maintaining a sort of facade of calmness and happiness but am bubbling with all sorts of emotions inside.

Today I got the results of a blood test - my levels of Prolactin are highly raised in the levels of 2000 indicating that I have a Pituitary Tumour. From my research, this tumour can cause the above symptoms. There's a lengthy process now to get this formally diagnosed and treated.

My sister is getting married next week and we are then all flying out to India in a few weeks for her big fat Indian wedding. I'm heavily responsible and involved in these upcoming events and don't feel up to it. I feel anxious and apprehensive.

Any input or insight, or sharing of stories from people who have been through this would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by brownygoldy

No experience with that, but you didn't mention if the doctor gave you meds for it or is going to operate or anything. Maybe if you're on meds for awhile, you will feel better. Certainly if they recommend surgery, do it. If you just can't make it, surely your own family would understand. Maybe you could go but not attend everything and have a calm hotel room to yourself.

Any input or insight, or sharing of stories from people who have been through this would be much appreciated.

My mom had a number of problems related to her Pituitary Gland and was eventually diagnosed with a tumor. To make it understandable for us kids, she described it as her thermostat, controlling her "hold and cold". In my childish mind, I thought she meant body temperature, but eventually came to understand she was referring to her mood. Normally loving and placid, while this was going on she'd have times where she went completely bonkers, throwing things and yelling at us. Very disconcerting for us kids.

Unfortunately, in the course of her treatment, they discovered other tumors also. A lifelong smoker, I've long wondered if this and the other medical issues were related to her 3-packs a day habit. She eventually succumbed to lung cancer.

This was forty years ago, treatment much changed since then. Sometimes life has other plans for us, so I'd be upfront with your sister about your condition, how you're feeling and what you're capable of. Your health is more important than any wedding party commitment...

Mr. Lucky

• 1 month later...

Your pituitary gland controls a vast number of hormones in your body. Pituitary adenomas are not uncommon. Is it only your prolactin level that is elevated? If so, it is entirely possible that this could be treated with something like a dopamine agonist.

As I will be sharing some generalized medical knowledge take this with a grain of salt in that it should be supplemented with direct advice from your medical doctor.

A pituitary prolactinoma is responsible for the high level of prolactin that you described. The formal diagnosis of this type of tumor involves a brain MRI (unless you are in the rare scenario that the tumor is somewhere else). A brain MRI isn't painful, it's mainly claustrophobic and really loud, like rock concert loud. You have to sit in a big metal doughnut as it takes pictures; the whole study lasts about 60 minutes.

Sometimes other studies are involved that check how "active" a tumor is; brain MRIs don't necessarily tell you function of the thing you are looking at. Those tests aren't painful either.

The main symptoms are related to hormones and your vision - if it is squishing the optic nerve (the closest object next to the pituitary) - you can start to lose your peripheral vision, so be careful you aren't bumping into things.

You should also be sure your other major hormone levels aren't being affected; and your doctor can evaluate you for those.

Treatment for this typically involves a procedure in consultation with neurosurgeons, and this type of procedure is one of their "Bread and butter"; your doctor should be able to refer you to someone experienced. The route you take should be decided in concert with your own treating doctor. The level of emergency isn't on the same level as a heart attack, but it is important enough that you should definitely set the ball rolling.

Take this with a grain of salt in that it should be supplemented with direct advice from your medical doctor.

Edited by Garcon1986