Hey people. Honestly just venting here. I have been trying for about two months to stop eating bad and start working out to lose weight. But I can't seem to stick to it. I always give in and eat bad. I always talk myself out of working out. But I know I want to make a change. I know I don't like what I see when I look in the mirror, but its like I don't care. But I do. I've been getting super frustrated. I'm getting upset about it. But I'm not sure how to go about actually making a difference in my health and weight. Any advice?

Down load an app on your phone that tracks your calories & exercise. Then faithfully log your eating.

Try to remember it's not so much what you eat but how much. I'm on a diet but I'm drinking a soda as I type this. I just have to account for those calories. You can eat a portion of chips (approximately 12 chips, not the whole bag). You can have 1/2 cup of full fat ice cream, not a 1/2 gallon.

Also get all the junk food out of your house. Keep healthy snacks on hand -- fresh fruit, vegetables etc. Learn more about nutrition. Eat more protein & fiber to feel fuller longer with less volume.

• Like 4

All things in moderation.

There is no such thing as "good" food or "bad" food.

Food is fuel for our bodies. You can have that chocolate or glass of wine if you would like...but also remember your body needs protein and veggies also.

And move.

You don't have to jump directly into anything as complex as CrossFit or training for a 10K...but move.

Take a walk at lunch. Park a little bit further away from the doors to places.

Start small and make incremental changes to your lifestyle.

• Like 1
H I always talk myself out of working out. But I know I want to make a change. I know I don't like what I see when I look in the mirror, but its like I don't care. But I do. I've been getting super frustrated. I'm getting upset about it. But I'm not sure how to go about actually making a difference in my health and weight. Any advice?

The key for me is I have to do something I find fun. I'd rather shoot myself than go to the gym, but I enjoy playing tennis, riding my bike and hiking in the hills. It's also helpful to have a workout "buddy" to motivate you, if you don't know someone join one of the groups through meetup. I'm part of a tennis cardio group and I literally have to explain myself if I miss a session, we all keep positive pressure on each other.

Don't let it be a drag or go it alone. Strength in numbers :) ...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

reduce your daily calorie intake by 200 or 300 calories and exercise for 20 minutes everyday (a walk is fine)

Set a goal you can achieve. Make smaller changes. Aim for less junk food instead of no junk food. More exercise instead of 5 gym sessions a week. Avoid drinking calories (really easy, huge impact). Keep more healthy food and less junk food in the house. Eat smaller portions when you do eat junk. Drink more water to keep yourself full.

If you try to go from zero to 100mph, you will fail. Make gradual lifestyle changes that you think you could keep up indefinitely.

• Like 2

My husband found it really hard to lose a Buddha belly, despite us eating healthy and going to the gym. I made a change to our diet, no rice, pasta, potatoes or biscuits, bought soda bread and the weight has fallen off. I make extra veg instead of potatoes and bought a spiraliser to make courgette pasta. He hasn’t missed his old diet, up to now he has lost 2 stone. I on the other hand haven’t lost an ounce, I am in a wheelchair so cannot exercise as much as I used to and am taking steroids also have insulin problems, would love to be back to my pre illness weight of 9 and a half stone. My son eats very healthy and does CrossFit and keeps his weight down. Just need to find what suits you best.

Eternal Sunshine

I once lost a lot of weight by eating 1200cals worth of chocolate and chips every day. I also got sick but that’s not the point. It’s literally calories in and calories out, not avoiding all the “bad foods”.

• Like 3
I once lost a lot of weight by eating 1200cals worth of chocolate and chips every day. I also got sick but that’s not the point. It’s literally calories in and calories out, not avoiding all the “bad foods”.

That's what, a couple hundred grams of chocolate? You must have been constantly starving! It's an impressive level of willpower though. I find a lot of people who've had eating disorders have incredible discipline (not just with regards to food) but have just misdirected their efforts. Just a spiral of feeling fat, starving themselves, losing muscle instead of fat, and thinking the solution is to try harder, when the right exercise and nutrition would've given the results they wanted.

That's what, a couple hundred grams of chocolate? You must have been constantly starving!

Absolutely not, that's 2-3 big chocolates and boy, that fills you up (equivalent to giant salad with same calorie count, as ES said, it is the calories that count, not the weight of the food)

I often do this if I have to work through my lunch break and don't have time to chew on cooked food (which I dislike anyway) - a good old chocolate and I'm golden :D

• 2 weeks later...

I think you need to first determine how many calories you need to eat each day to maintain your current weight. Rather this, in order to lose body fat and earn a really great body you must follow a protein rich diet as protein intake increases metabolism and keeps you fuller it helps you lose weight.

Hey I get it if anyone does. I lost 70 lbs between 2017 and last year.

I went from a size 18 to a size 10. I have kept it off since July and I just decided to drop another 10 lb in time for bathing suit season.

Here are my tips:

There is no magical pill or an easy way. Burn less calories than you eat. Do this by moving more and eating less.

Track every bit of food that goes in your mouth. It's surprising how much we eat without realizing it. Someone mentioned an app to do this. Yes!

When you fall off the horse get right back on it. Giving up won't get you closer to your goal.

Diet pop! Any time I wanted sweet a diet pop helped take away that craving.

Try to get a friend who will walk or go to the gym with you. Some days you are not feeling like it and they can help get you out.

Be patient! You wont lose weight overnight. It took months (or years) to put this weight on. It won't come off overnight.

Before eating think to yourself for example"do I want this chocolate or do I want to look good in a bathing suit?" Just pausing and putting some thought into what goes in your mouth helps.

Don't be afraid of lifting weights. You wont look manly. Those girls train hard to look that way. Lifting weights is great fun and very good for your health.

" You don't get the ass you want by sitting on it."

Don’t count calories.

Everyday eat every color of the rainbow.

Eat lots of protein. Eat lots of fat. Eat lots of healthy vegetables.

And drink water.

Have a beautiful day my friend.

• Like 1

Eating healthy, logging calories etc. they all work for some people.

For the type of problem you have, i.e. not being able to stick to eating healthy foods and exercise, I strongly recommend doing intermittent fasting. Read the book : "Delay, don't deny" by Gin something :)) This way, you can eat a Burger King meal and still lose a lot of weight and fast! Look into it!

You'll still be hungry, but you'll not have to think about eating salad only and you're more likely to stick with it when you know you can eat foods that you actually like. Plus, within a relatively short amount of time, your body will adjust and you'll not be as hungry anymore.

The downside is that it feels really bad when you waste your one meal a day on something you didn't really like that much. You can eat one meal and one smaller meal/a snack a day.

• Like 1

I agree a lot with BluEyeL’s post. It’s much easier to lose weight if you only have a few extra pounds and if you don’t usually have weight/food issues. It’d be almost impossible for my friend who has been obese almost her whole adult life to lose weight by herself. She managed to lose some weight by exchanging food logs with someone who is not overweight. She was trying to do the same thing with another obese lady without success, because things just frizzed out when both of them had weight/food issues.

I also agree that intermittent fasting might work best: have a smaller breakfast, a very large lunch, but eat almost nothing for dinner. The very large lunch should satisfy your food cravings, so hopefully you don’t really have the need to eat dinner. Actually there’re theories saying that skipping dinner is good for our health.

• Like 1

Try intermittent fasting. Eat once a day within a certain timeframe and you can have whatever you want. You won’t lose weight quickly but you’ll feel better almost immediately because you’re giving your body a break from continually having to process food. Another thought is to delay gratification instead of telling yourself you can’t have certain things. To me, one of the best weight loss programs is Weight Watchers. You can have whatever you want within a budget of points, you become extremely aware of what you’re putting in your mouth, and because fruits and vegetables are “free” foods, it drives you to eat healthier. My all-time quick loss diet is the Cabbage Soup diet.

Being overweight is extremely bad for your health. I never fully understood that until I watched an autopsy show on Netflix. It was an autopsy on an overweight woman. Her organs were encased in fat. Her lungs were suffering and her breathing capacity was severely limited. Her heart could barely function while she was alive (she died of heart failure). Being overweight has become such an epidemic in our country and people are starting to get numb to it.

The junk food you love so much is what’s killing your taste for healthy foods. And, yes, there is a such thing as bad foods - or what I call non-food. Processed, chemical-based crap that your body has no idea what to do with. It may take a major health scare to wake you up but I hope not.

Yup.

I noticed for most people skipping breakfast is the easiest. Then eat huge lunch and a snack for dinner. That’s great because it allows for normal social life (inverting lunch and dinner on days you want to eat out). Nothing more frustrating than watching a coworker chewing lettuce when you all binge on burritos lol.

I agree a lot with BluEyeL’s post. It’s much easier to lose weight if you only have a few extra pounds and if you don’t usually have weight/food issues. It’d be almost impossible for my friend who has been obese almost her whole adult life to lose weight by herself. She managed to lose some weight by exchanging food logs with someone who is not overweight. She was trying to do the same thing with another obese lady without success, because things just frizzed out when both of them had weight/food issues.

I also agree that intermittent fasting might work best: have a smaller breakfast, a very large lunch, but eat almost nothing for dinner. The very large lunch should satisfy your food cravings, so hopefully you don’t really have the need to eat dinner. Actually there’re theories saying that skipping dinner is good for our health.

I’ve never been a fan of breakfast and find that if I do eat it, I’m hungry for the rest of the day. It totally throws off my appetite.

• Like 1

consider downloading a free exercise/ sports app on your phone and count your calories and exercise. May shed lots of light on where you can make moves.

• 1 month later...
bathtub-row

Try the 5-bite diet. It’s detailed in the book “Why Weight Around?” The diet is loosely based on the diet that people go on after having a gastric bypass. It totally resets your hunger. And you don’t have to think about food all the time.

• Like 2

5-bite diet is just small portions? I’d have done this, since I have being restricted of one food or another, portion control sounds like the best option.

bathtub-row
5-bite diet is just small portions? I’d have done this, since I have being restricted of one food or another, portion control sounds like the best option.

There’s a kind of genius behind the diet. It’s better than fasting because eating tiny amounts causes your body to work to digest food. It’s basically 5 bites of anything you want for lunch and the same for dinner. The book explains everything really well.

• Like 2
I’ve never been a fan of breakfast and find that if I do eat it, I’m hungry for the rest of the day. It totally throws off my appetite.

This. I’ve tried so hard to follow the mainstream advice about eating breakfast, and how healthy breakfast is, and never skip breakfast because it gets your metabolism going, etc etc ...... I have always failed. Always. If I eat breakfast I’m hungry all.day.long. I’ve always thought I’m the only one. Glad there’s two of us now. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 2
This. I’ve tried so hard to follow the mainstream advice about eating breakfast, and how healthy breakfast is, and never skip breakfast because it gets your metabolism going, etc etc ...... I have always failed. Always. If I eat breakfast I’m hungry all.day.long. I’ve always thought I’m the only one. Glad there’s two of us now. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Count us three. The more I eat in the morning, the more hungry I am all day long.

• Like 1