Anyone here early menopause and went on hormone replacement?

Hi all

I am 41 and started entering menopause when I was 40. I went to see my OBGYN today and she wants me to use estrogen/progesterone patches. The symptoms that I experience are not severe - some I don't even have anymore such as hot flashes or night sweats but she wants me to take as a prevention for osteoporosis and heart disease. My insurance will probably not cover it so Ill have to pay everything of my pocket, so I undecided of what to do. Is anyone here in a similar situation?

I've been on hormones since I was 18 for a hormone deficiency. I think mainly they've let me stay on them now I'm in my 60s solely because osteoporosis is in my family. I am not on patches. I found something that worked and we've stuck to it, though I'd love to try bioidenticals.

• Author

I asked my doctor about biodenticals and she is said its no different than the synthetics. I also read online and it says the same thing, so I am not sure now what to believe. If anyone has experience using biodenticals x synthetics I would love to hear.

thanks

• Like 1

Hi there. Menopause at 42 here. I haven't used patches but did take oral HRT for both symptoms and to future proof against osteoporosis. I'm 51 now and starting to come off them as my symptoms are really starting to recede.

Can you buy the patches cheaper online?

What my GYN says about hormones is when you're taking the pill form it's kind of going everywhere instead of straight to where it needs to go. now I'm not sure how that is with bioidentical but you're just putting in on your skin so the same as patch I guess. There are also creams you can insert for estradiol, but my understanding is you always always need to take progesterone with estradiol because it lowers risks.

Is there a reason why your doctor is concerned about osteoporosis and/or heart disease OP? A family history perhaps...

I always swore that I would not do HRT because my best friend's mother had a life threatening stroke and was left with permanent disability after taking the pill. The risks did not outweigh the potential benefit, IMHO.

My doctor was not quick to recommend HRT, said we could "have the conversation" if the symptoms were not manageable. It's so hard to know what to do, it may lower the risk of osteoporosis and heart disease but long term use increases the risk of cancer and other complications like clotting... It's a difficult decision. I'm also interested in the discussion...

Bailey, it's because when we go into menopause, our bodies stop absorbing calcium and we have to rely on our reserves to last out the rest of our lives. Not good for those of us who go into menopause early. Using HRT gives us the ability to keep absorbing calcium.

• Like 1
  • Author
Is there a reason why your doctor is concerned about osteoporosis and/or heart disease OP? A family history perhaps...

I always swore that I would not do HRT because my best friend's mother had a life threatening stroke and was left with permanent disability after taking the pill. The risks did not outweigh the potential benefit, IMHO.

My doctor was not quick to recommend HRT, said we could "have the conversation" if the symptoms were not manageable. It's so hard to know what to do, it may lower the risk of osteoporosis and heart disease but long term use increases the risk of cancer and other complications like clotting... It's a difficult decision. I'm also interested in the discussion...

Well my doctor said that women who enter menopause early, or premature, like me are at higher risk for osteoporosis and heart disease. I do not know if osteoporosis runs in my family as I do not know much about my grandmother's health history( one died before I was born and the other died when I was kid) and my mother died at 52 of cancer. My older sister had premature menopause at 32.

Based on what my doctor explained and what I've been reading online, the pill increases the risk of blood clots while with the patches the risk is much lower.

• Author
Bailey, it's because when we go into menopause, our bodies stop absorbing calcium and we have to rely on our reserves to last out the rest of our lives. Not good for those of us who go into menopause early. Using HRT gives us the ability to keep absorbing calcium.

Yes, that is what happens!

• 2 months later...
whichwayisup

Are there other ways of dealing with this instead of taking HRT? Natural medications without side effects?

• 2 weeks later...

What are the symptoms of going into menopause that early? If you get there at 42, must have started in your 30s?

Just very scared of it first because I want kids, and second - family history of osteoporosis and broken bones respectively....