LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Motivation


Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree16Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2018, 11:05 PM   #1
Established Member
 
hippychick3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Northeastern U.S.
Posts: 1,714
Motivation

I am looking for tips/suggestions on how you motivate yourself to exercise. My eating habits are pretty much perfect. I'm very disciplined when it comes to eating healthy, mostly due to its healing effects on a health issue I have. As much as I KNOW I need to work out/exercise (also for health reasons), I am having so much trouble consistently getting motivated to do it. 5-6 years ago I would wake up at 5:20 am almost everyday and go to the gym. I did this routine for a couple years. I don't know what happened to me, but I can't even imagine doing that now.
hippychick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 12:09 AM   #2
Established Member
 
SunnyWeather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 617
I switch things up. I'll get on a yoga kick, do that consistently for a while, then go back to swimming, then a dance class. If you're feeling resistant to going to the gym (I don't blame you, I don't much care for the environment, changing, going through the motions, etc etc etc), them maybe consider taking a class, something you've always wanted to try. make it fun. And, if all else fails, take walks.
__________________
This above all: To thine own self be true
SunnyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 7:43 AM   #3
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 11,819
My advice is to start small....

I am a gym nut and a former athlete, but took a long break from it....It was tough to find my groove again, but what I found that was the key was to set small goals in the beginning...If you try to think about all the stuff you did before its just overwhelming you and psyching you out...So you are in the position you are in now..

Start small...in a few months, you will probably find that you don't need any external motivation...It will come naturally


TFY
thefooloftheyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 7:57 AM   #4
Established Member
 
Happy Lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sunny Southwest
Posts: 3,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippychick3 View Post
I am looking for tips/suggestions on how you motivate yourself to exercise.
Personally, my doctor told me (last year) lose 25 pounds and exercise or I'm going to have to put you on cholesterol medication. That was all the motivation I needed. I lost the weight and got my cholesterol down.

Every 3 months I get my cholesterol checked and its been down. Those numbers are all I need to continue to get up early and exercise.

I did switch from walking to riding my bicycle, which I like better. Find something you like, and you'll do it everyday, just for the pleasure of doing it. I like the quiet time (early in the morning) on the bicycle... clears my mind. I'm at peace as the miles go by.

Just my two cents... Best of luck.
__________________
All of my posts are my opinion based on my own experiences. Feel Free to disagree with me, this rodent has thick skin.
Happy Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 8:21 AM   #5
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippychick3 View Post
I am looking for tips/suggestions on how you motivate yourself to exercise. My eating habits are pretty much perfect. I'm very disciplined when it comes to eating healthy, mostly due to its healing effects on a health issue I have. As much as I KNOW I need to work out/exercise (also for health reasons), I am having so much trouble consistently getting motivated to do it. 5-6 years ago I would wake up at 5:20 am almost everyday and go to the gym. I did this routine for a couple years. I don't know what happened to me, but I can't even imagine doing that now.
Youtube is my go-to for motivation. Try Jessica Smith's workouts. She is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jessicasmithtv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqu8yGRZ4K8

Last edited by brigit87; 27th November 2018 at 8:23 AM..
brigit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 8:24 AM   #6
Established Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: God save the Queen.
Posts: 1,885
View a Maori haka when you want to start exercise. Most manly thing I ever seen.

Or - for me personally, I took up Irish dancing when I started to see Michael Flatley's youtube videos. It felt like I was living under a rock for the past 20 years - where have I been all my life? I never need motivation to go Irish dancing now; great exercise, beautiful women, you get nice dance moves.
Start browsing through all the exercises you can do, and figure out which one you really enjoy.
Garcon1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 8:26 AM   #7
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcon1986 View Post
View a Maori haka when you want to start exercise. Most manly thing I ever seen.

Or - for me personally, I took up Irish dancing when I started to see Michael Flatley's youtube videos. It felt like I was living under a rock for the past 20 years - where have I been all my life? I never need motivation to go Irish dancing now; great exercise, beautiful women, you get nice dance moves.
Start browsing through all the exercises you can do, and figure out which one you really enjoy.
Once, I actually tried to put together my own youtube workout channel. But I didn't know what I was doing and it was just a mess. LOL.

However, lots of ppl do know what they're doing and there is always new content. Some better than others.
brigit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 8:27 AM   #8
Established Member
 
Sarah_Smiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Here....
Posts: 215
I used to run when in high school before school and even when I started working I would keep it up until I was just too tired and wanted to sleep in so that ended that.. all I do now is set aside an amount of time on my weekend devoted to working out and the rest of the time usually 3 days a week I go swimming after work. This works out okay for me now, so cold here I cannot do much exercising outside... until it warms up in April.
__________________
ďI can't remember anything
Can't tell if this is true or dream
Deep down inside I feel to scream
This terrible silence stops me..."
Sarah_Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 9:15 AM   #9
Established Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Exeter, UK
Posts: 2,044
It's important not to see exercise as a pass/fail. That's the single biggest reason people lose motivation.

If you aim to go to the gym three times a week and miss a session, don't count it as a 'fail' and skip a few weeks. Either make peace with having missed a session, or make up for it with something else. Likewise, some days you really just won't be feeling it. You'll drag yourself to the gym but you just don't have the energy. Accept it wasn't meant to happen, quit the workout early and carry on with your day. The next time will be better. Count your successes, not your failures.

The same principle applies to dieting and is why most people fail at that too... if you have a piece of chocolate cake, it does not mean you 'failed' and might as well scoff an entire pack of chocolate biscuits. That just makes things ten times worse. Get back on track straight away and the occasional blip won't even make a difference.
Andy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 9:50 AM   #10
Established Member
 
hippychick3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Northeastern U.S.
Posts: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigit87 View Post
Youtube is my go-to for motivation. Try Jessica Smith's workouts. She is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jessicasmithtv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqu8yGRZ4K8
These look awesome. Thank you!
hippychick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 9:52 AM   #11
Established Member
 
hippychick3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Northeastern U.S.
Posts: 1,714
Thanks everyone!

I am planning on working out this evening. I think Iíll start with some videos. Letís see how this goes
hippychick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 10:40 AM   #12
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,002
Remember that exercise is good for almost everything EXCEPT weight loss. Heart health, brain health, keeping you looking and feeling younger, building muscle, getting stronger, improving circulation and bone density---I remember an interview with a doctor who said "if the benefits of exercise came in a pill, it would be a miracle cure."

Thinking of it that way, exercise is much easier to keep up. You aren't trying to burn calories (realistically, you will never burn enough calories to make a difference in weight loss unless you're already very obese), you're preventing disease and staying young. You don't need to hit a specific target. You just have to move!

I am a fitness fanatic because it helps soothe my anxiety and I love to lift weights. But I know people in better shape than me who use tiny dumbbells and do yoga. There is nothing wrong with going for daily walks and doing push-ups and pull-ups at home.

If you need workout ideas, Fitness Blender has hundreds of free videos covering everything from HIIT to stretching. The hosts are insufferably dorky but they are positive and film themselves getting tired, taking breaks, and making mistakes, which I think is very important. You can string their shorter videos together or do the long ones.
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 5:33 PM   #13
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by lana-banana View Post
Remember that exercise is good for almost everything EXCEPT weight loss. Heart health, brain health, keeping you looking and feeling younger, building muscle, getting stronger, improving circulation and bone density---I remember an interview with a doctor who said "if the benefits of exercise came in a pill, it would be a miracle cure."

Thinking of it that way, exercise is much easier to keep up. You aren't trying to burn calories (realistically, you will never burn enough calories to make a difference in weight loss unless you're already very obese), you're preventing disease and staying young. You don't need to hit a specific target. You just have to move!

I am a fitness fanatic because it helps soothe my anxiety and I love to lift weights. But I know people in better shape than me who use tiny dumbbells and do yoga. There is nothing wrong with going for daily walks and doing push-ups and pull-ups at home.

If you need workout ideas, Fitness Blender has hundreds of free videos covering everything from HIIT to stretching. The hosts are insufferably dorky but they are positive and film themselves getting tired, taking breaks, and making mistakes, which I think is very important. You can string their shorter videos together or do the long ones.
Youtube is filled with really great workouts. I'm so happy I don't need to go to the gym anymore.
brigit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2018, 11:45 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: .
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippychick3 View Post
I am looking for tips/suggestions on how you motivate yourself to exercise. My eating habits are pretty much perfect. I'm very disciplined when it comes to eating healthy, mostly due to its healing effects on a health issue I have. As much as I KNOW I need to work out/exercise (also for health reasons), I am having so much trouble consistently getting motivated to do it. 5-6 years ago I would wake up at 5:20 am almost everyday and go to the gym. I did this routine for a couple years. I don't know what happened to me, but I can't even imagine doing that now.
A bunch of my girl friends and I formed an accountability group on facebook. For fitness/well being/healthy eating.

We help push each other there with various little challenges. We also have small competitions with each other (we wear fitness watches/bands and will use those to track things)

It helps.
Wallysbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2018, 1:20 PM   #15
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallysbears View Post
A bunch of my girl friends and I formed an accountability group on facebook. For fitness/well being/healthy eating.

We help push each other there with various little challenges. We also have small competitions with each other (we wear fitness watches/bands and will use those to track things)

It helps.
That sounds like a good idea. I got to get one of those fitness bands.
brigit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Three years with the wrong guy, I need motivation to start my life over again.... molly5252 Second Chances 2 14th November 2003 5:02 AM
Inspiration/motivation.... longlegzs80 Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being 1 25th July 2003 12:10 AM
loss of motivation Crystal Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being 8 25th April 2002 3:04 PM
WINNING WAYS....in management & motivation DrBruceSpruce Archive 1 6th August 2001 7:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.

Contact Us - LoveShack.org - - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Top

Copyright © 1997-2018 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.