Weight loss after pregnancy

major_merrick

I had my baby about 8 weeks ago. I gained about 17 pounds during the pregnancy, and I'm almost back to my pre-pregnancy weight, and my BMI is now under 25. But I want to lose the last of it and it just won't go. I've tried to exercise some and my diet is much healthier than before I got pregnant (I kept the dietary changes that I made so I could have a healthy child.) I just seem to have stalled out, and it is killing me.

I'm pumping breast milk to feet my daughter, so I know that helps. I'd like to cut my food way down, but I can't because I have to produce high quality milk. It doesn't help that I live with two other moms who have had children and stay very skinny throughout the process....and one of them had the nerve to call me "thick" the other day. Not happy. What options are there? I'm already eating lots of vegetables and few carbs...but my craving for cake and cookies drives me crazy and my energy is very low. :mad:

There's no magic -- at the end of the day, it's all calories in / calories out. If you are eating a lot of cake and cookies, you aren't going to get anywhere. (But you can, of course, eat them in moderation.)

There are websites where you can calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and then use that to determine how much you should be eating each day, based on your activity level. (I'm sure there are probably adjustments you can make based on breastfeeding as well.)

Get a tracking app like My Fitness Pal and start logging everything you eat. Get a food scale to make sure your logging is accurate. You can also log your macros on there as well, which may help with your energy levels.

Get at least 30 minutes of exercise every day. If nothing else, go out and walk a few miles a day. An activity tracker, like FitBit can also help a lot to make sure you are moving / exercising enough. You can also sync it to My Fitness Pal.

Eat five small meals per day, ideally three hours apart. Don’t exceed 500 calories per meal. Small feedings. Your daily total should be about 1800-2500 calories per day. Eat real food and no processed foods. Control your carbs. No more than 100 g per day. No carbs after 3 pm - that means no sugar, fruit juices and starches. Don’t drink your calories either. Stay away from soda, and alcohol. Meats and veggies only after 3 pm. Your protein intake should be equal your body weight in grams. No food 3 hours before bedtime. If you’re hungry learn to deal with it. I would also do body weight workouts - squats, lunges, pushups whenever I can sneak it in, when the baby’s sleeping etc..

Edited by Interstellar
I had my baby about 8 weeks ago. I gained about 17 pounds during the pregnancy, and I'm almost back to my pre-pregnancy weight, and my BMI is now under 25. But I want to lose the last of it and it just won't go. I've tried to exercise some and my diet is much healthier than before I got pregnant (I kept the dietary changes that I made so I could have a healthy child.) I just seem to have stalled out, and it is killing me.

I'm pumping breast milk to feet my daughter, so I know that helps. I'd like to cut my food way down, but I can't because I have to produce high quality milk. It doesn't help that I live with two other moms who have had children and stay very skinny throughout the process....and one of them had the nerve to call me "thick" the other day. Not happy. What options are there? I'm already eating lots of vegetables and few carbs...but my craving for cake and cookies drives me crazy and my energy is very low. :mad:

If your religious sect allows for medical care, you should check with a doctor. I'm not one but doubt the wisdom of trying to reduce your caloric intake while you are breast feeding an infant AND in the early stages of pregnancy at the same time.

Now that you're pregnant again (congratulations again by the way) I would seek medical advice before doing any diet or exercise program.

• Author
major_merrick
Now that you're pregnant again (congratulations again by the way) I would seek medical advice before doing any diet or exercise program.

Yeah I made this thread before that little revelation....now that I'm pregnant again I'm not gonna worry about weight loss. I'll just keep eating the healthy stuff that's good for pregnancy and let it be. I did enjoy being able to drink the occasional glass of wine or something sweet...but now it is back to no sugar. All work and no play...:laugh:

• Like 1