serrapeptase, the truth...?

I wondered if any regulars here had used serrapeptase and had a story to tell. Bit concerned at over-blown youtube videos (found one) and websites about it that may not reflect real life. So any stories welcome. Thank you.

Never used it but one of my tennis partners uses it to treat inflammation and swears by it. I’m skeptical of some of the more outlandish claims.

Why are you thinking of trying it?

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

So I did a quick review through about 60 articles on this enzyme (serrapeptase). It is naturally occurring in moths and serratia, and the job description of this enzyme is thought to be to catalyze the reaction of breaking apart proteins at certain places (those certain places being the amino acid serine). The exact molecular actions of this enzyme has not yet been well defined, and the overall level of the science on this enzyme has not yet risen beyond the biochemistry lab. The enzyme is absorbed whole into the bloodstream, but we don't know to what degree the enzyme is available in the bloodstream. Theoretically this thing would be going around breaking any protein with the right sequence of amino acids in it. Based upon a scientific approach, I would not personally buy this product, as most of it is probably being digested by your body anyway the same way a steak gets digested.

If follow my approach, as in the truth is defined by doing experiments to test ideas, and other people who do the same tests can replicate your ideas, then this serrapeptase has not yet passed that test. At current it's a moneymaking machine.

• Author
So I did a quick review through about 60 articles on this enzyme (serrapeptase). It is naturally occurring in moths and serratia, and the job description of this enzyme is thought to be to catalyze the reaction of breaking apart proteins at certain places (those certain places being the amino acid serine). The exact molecular actions of this enzyme has not yet been well defined, and the overall level of the science on this enzyme has not yet risen beyond the biochemistry lab. The enzyme is absorbed whole into the bloodstream, but we don't know to what degree the enzyme is available in the bloodstream. Theoretically this thing would be going around breaking any protein with the right sequence of amino acids in it. Based upon a scientific approach, I would not personally buy this product, as most of it is probably being digested by your body anyway the same way a steak gets digested.

If follow my approach, as in the truth is defined by doing experiments to test ideas, and other people who do the same tests can replicate your ideas, then this serrapeptase has not yet passed that test. At current it's a moneymaking machine.

show me the link that convinced you that it comes from moths, cheers

I ask as serrapeptase comes from silk-worms not moths, and that fact is all over all the websites and videoes