Can you all please send me some luck.

I have surgery this week to check for uterine cancer. My infertility/PCOS caused a build up of uneven lining despite getting regular periods and being on the pill for most of my life sine age 16.

PCOS can cause cancer, please never let anyone tell you it is a small issue. I am just lucky I have private health cover, or else I would never have had the option of finding out in time.

Fingers crossed it is all okay. IF it is ok, they are flushing my tubes and clearing everything out so that when I do try to conceive at the end of next year, things stand a high chance of working out...

Wish me luck please, just want good luck my way.

major_merrick

Well, if you have a bunch of buildup that could prevent implantation even if the egg does get fertilized. Sounds like you're having a necessary procedure that will likely improve your chances of getting pregnant. Don't give up hope...miracles do happen! I hope everything goes well for you. Keep us posted...:love:

Good luck Leigh!!! I have a strong gut feeling that this surgery will not only show NO signs of uterine cancer, but will also restore your fertility... You may get pregnant sooner than planned... Just a feeling but I have strong 6th sense ;)

• 5 months later...
  • Author

Hi, thanks so much.

There were no pre cancer let alone cancer cells.

No endometriosis.

I have one blocked/screwed tube sadly and severe PCOS.

I have an abnormally high amount of immature follicles - from never ovulating at all. Hopefully my naturopath is helping fix that (I do get regular bleeds monthly with her treatments).

My egg reserve is also 9 times as high as even "high" for a normal woman - due to never releasing eggs whatsoever due to PCOS. The eggs that are left sitting around will be poor quality, so unless I start ovulating all the dud eggs out before I conceive, I will have repeat and recurrent losses...

I am recommended to do what is required to ovulate monthly to get rid of all the cr@p quality eggs.... for at least 2 years, before I try for a baby. As until I get rid of all those "old" immature follicles that have likely been floating around for years and years, any successful conception will end in pain.

Husband got me a medical device that is 99.9% accurate in picking up ovulation so I have just started using it, and will see if maybe I need to ad in acupuncture again to get my ovulating.

So while it is "good news" and I do not have pre cancer cells, I will need to wait 2 years minimum to sort out ovulation, so I will be 35 or 36 before I am able to get my first baby... More "good news"? Women with my rare atypical type PCOS (have skinny pcos - I get thin and stay thin easily) --- is that women like me tend to drop all the eggs at some stage via ovulation, mid to late 30s, and IF --- the woman has managed to get rid of old eggs via being proactive prior to this time, women like me almost always have later in life babies, close to age 40.

But unless I clear the eggs ASAP, prior to me suddenly ovulating naturally in my late 30s, they could collect even further and I would end up having 10 or even 20, losses in a row if I try to conceive repeatedly at that age, having done nothing to address my lack of ovulation from NOW ish....

So yay I am cancer free. Phew.

I guess I will go work and maybe get a second degree or travel for a few years while I re visit the having children thing. Podiatry was a mistake, I should have done occupational therapy anyway. At least I know what is going on and am doing something about it - getting myself to ovulate etc, well before I attempt the whole trying to conceive thing...

I imagine that it would be soul destroying to want a baby and aimlessly try for years, when they could have gotten to the root cause.

I did not want to be a late in life first time mum and I will not be wanting to have two children because of this, but at least I will still likely get a child, and am cancer free ! Plus now I can avoid TTC children anytime soon, focus on other things and avoid repeat losses, which I imagine would be pretty depressing...

I will also be needing to get scraped again via D and C regularly if I fail to ovulate, to prevent build up of the endometrial cells again....So maybe once a year surgery to take care of it.

You really need to advocate for yourself too. NO ONE would have told me what I know now. I would have likely gone on to develop uterine cancer, had I not chosen to act and just let the lining grow and grow and grow for years more...It took my second doctor to suggest acting on this...

Oh Leigh, what a journey you've been on. So glad that there's no cancer, but it's a bugger that it will be a couple of years before you can think about babies. Best of luck to you

• Author
Oh Leigh, what a journey you've been on. So glad that there's no cancer, but it's a bugger that it will be a couple of years before you can think about babies. Best of luck to you

Thanks Basil. I am so blessed to not have cancer, and to still have my ovaries and uterus - so many women even younger than me lose any hope at all of babies :( My heart really goes out to them all. I am thrilled that having kids is still even an option for me albeit, with treatment and good diet and lifestyle habits.

Waiting until I am late 30's is not that cruel of a blow considering there are women who have no hope at all:( I will be comfortable financially, done with University and will even likely get a second degree that is more in line with my passions as a disability care worker (Occupational therapy is more my thing rather than Podiatry)

I do think at about age 34, I will give treatment a little "go". It will be a case of " try to have a baby or get a second degree" type of situation....--- I may get lucky. But of course, we will both be prepared for repeat losses and will maybe give it two or three goes before I just accept it is not meant to be, and that I will need to indefinitely be a later in life first time mum :(

One thing I do have is the power to make my situation more promising: diet, lifestyle, ensuring I am ovulating those sh*tty eggs out regularly by using my medical device..... And in turn, I will be more likely to avoid costly treatment like IVF (which I am not personally a fan of wanting to ever try).

I used to obsess about when I would get to experience being a parent. I mean, way more awful people than myself get to pop out kids every day... Why not me? I wanted it more than anything. It is sort of a relief to know that it will not be happening anytime soon - to have a medical understanding and explanation of what is likely to happen.... and I can therefore move on with my life and hope to experience parenthood at a later date. Even if this is not want I "want" I like to believe it is for the best and I will enjoy it more when it happens later on.

After I found out I did not have cancer cells, I went into a bunch of forums just to read about younger women than me who did not get so lucky. I felt so awful. Many of those women who got unlucky always knew they wanted babies :( I feel so guilty knowing that I only recently 2 or so years ago, knew I needed to experience motherhood.

• Like 1

Good for you to have a solid plan. And for what it's worth, with the NDIS you'll never be out of work with allied health qualifications. Your path is solid.

I am so blessed to not have cancer

That's the real takeaway, were the opposite true none of you other concerns would be relevant anyway.

Life's a journey and I'll bet there's still some pleasant surprises waiting for you along the way...

Mr. Lucky

major_merrick

That's decent news, Leigh. Just give it time, and things will turn in your favor. You're about the same age as me, and things turned a corner for me at 30. When I was younger, I had a doctor tell me that my ovaries were pretty much useless, and any eggs I had would be worthless for conceiving. They must have all dropped at some point, and now I've had one baby and I'm pregnant with twins.

Maybe you'll get lucky and suddenly start getting pregnant. It only takes one egg, after all, and if your cycle returns to normal you may drop more than one egg a month. Just keep having lots of sex. It seems to clean the system.

• Like 1
  • Author
That's decent news, Leigh. Just give it time, and things will turn in your favor. You're about the same age as me, and things turned a corner for me at 30. When I was younger, I had a doctor tell me that my ovaries were pretty much useless, and any eggs I had would be worthless for conceiving. They must have all dropped at some point, and now I've had one baby and I'm pregnant with twins.

Maybe you'll get lucky and suddenly start getting pregnant. It only takes one egg, after all, and if your cycle returns to normal you may drop more than one egg a month. Just keep having lots of sex. It seems to clean the system.

Thanks so much.

But in my heart of hearts, I do not see myself getting the opportunity to experience motherhood.

If I do, it will not be until I am well close to 40.

This has left me suicidal and depressed some of the time, so I will seek to treat it and I know deep down I need to just...Get over the fact I will never likely have children.

It is more my worst nightmare and yet I need to push hard to still be happy and I know I will manage.

Sure, if I become one of the minority rare miracle stories I will be thrilled! But I am not going to allow myself to maintain much "hope", as miracles are miracle stories for a reason. I will therefore sadly, not be planning my life around the possibility for conception and a healthy pregnancy.

I do think in 2 - 3 years I will freak out and try treatment and fail, before I am truly able to move on.

I will need ongoing help for all this but I want to live in reality, I CANNOT plan for a very slim chance of a dream as it would destroy me entirely as I have seen it drive many women to suicide when the realisation hits them that they will never experience meeting their own baby......

The depth of despair I am feeling surrounding this scares me and I am more focused on staying alive and healthy at this stage.... Death does not scare me, but devastating my parents sure does so I have to focus on being alice and well for their sake.

It would mean the absolute world to my parents for my, after ten years at college, to finally graduate Podiatry. It is so hard. All I want is to meet my baby, I am 32 and it is what I truly want. But of course, we do not get everything we want in life, so I am just trying so very hard to learn to find joy in my plan B.... At least for now.

I am over joyed I do not have cancer. I am almost certain I would have ended up in a mental hospital if I had my uterus and ovaries removed.

Please know that infertility and childlessness does cause suicide and it is a real issue. I wish more people knew about it... It really is not as trivial as "not getting to travel" or "not getting the car, nor job you want"...

• Author

I am so very sorry to everyone here who has had cancer, or who knows someone close to them who has.

What I am going through is no where even CLOSE to the pain of knowing you are terminal.

I feel like a gutless piece of Sh*T for being suicidal over the fact I am most likely to remain childless. I do know this is a drop in the ocean compared to the awful world out there....

BUt I feel how I feel and there is certainly no stopping this, but I will get the help I need although I really have my reservations as to how a therapist can help me overcome the likely fate of involuntary childlessness...

What can they say that will make me be OK with it?

I am hoping that I can simply find ways to be happy whilst still not being OK with it, ever.

Wish me luck.

I am going to need it. Will be working a lot caring for the disabled and soon - working in aged care too, and also studying insane hours to pass Podiatry (at long last....)

Thanks again for your well wishes and I am so sorry I am trivialising cancer by making a mountain out of a mole hill about not getting to have children. I hate how it is just there, even though I know it is not the end of the world it FEELS like it.....

major_merrick

For me, I was able to deal with infertility and childlessness because I was convinced I'd be a bad mom anyways. So, I kind of thought I was doing everybody a favor by not trying. My husband and I had sex when we were teenagers and I was hoping to get pregnant, but it didn't happen.

For years after, I wondered about it, but as I was in relationships with girls, getting pregnant wasn't even a possibility. I had no idea that having everything I wanted could actually happen. I've ended up with a totally weird life, but I've got my husband, my girlfriends, and now I'm having kids. Things will come together for you too.

Your drive to have sex and get pregnant as probably really strong right now at 32. It is for me. I'm on my second pregnancy in less than 2 years. I'm due in July. Right after I gave birth last September, I was sex crazy for weeks and I got pregnant immediately. I know that's going to happen again.

Just keep having sex. Enjoy the sex, and try not to think so much about getting pregnant. I know that's easier said than done, but it will happen for you eventually.

• Author
For me, I was able to deal with infertility and childlessness because I was convinced I'd be a bad mom anyways. So, I kind of thought I was doing everybody a favor by not trying. My husband and I had sex when we were teenagers and I was hoping to get pregnant, but it didn't happen.

For years after, I wondered about it, but as I was in relationships with girls, getting pregnant wasn't even a possibility. I had no idea that having everything I wanted could actually happen. I've ended up with a totally weird life, but I've got my husband, my girlfriends, and now I'm having kids. Things will come together for you too.

Your drive to have sex and get pregnant as probably really strong right now at 32. It is for me. I'm on my second pregnancy in less than 2 years. I'm due in July. Right after I gave birth last September, I was sex crazy for weeks and I got pregnant immediately. I know that's going to happen again.

Just keep having sex. Enjoy the sex, and try not to think so much about getting pregnant. I know that's easier said than done, but it will happen for you eventually.

Well I have some good news...

Turns out, I ovulate. Well, I did this month. Partner got me a medical grade ovulation device for women with PCOS - 99.9% accurate, it measures your basal or core temp every 5 mins for the night...

I used it this month and yeah,I ovulated. I was like WHAT !?! I have severe PCOS or so I thought - because I have SO so so SO many excess immature follicles laying around which indicates years of chronic anovulation....

I am not currently on low carb (which is ideal for hormonal balance) I do not exercise, I have been lacking sleep and I am not at all "healthy" especially - I mean.... I was so pleasantly surprised to know I do actually ovulate....

major_merrick

Congrats! That's awesome news! I've never used any kind of ovulation calculator or fancy thermometer. Use your tools, and you should be able to get pregnant after a while.

My first ovulation in years (that I know of ) was when my husband and I had sex on our wedding night. Something about what was going on started my cycle again, and I conceived almost immediately. All I can say is, just keep doing it!

• Author

Hmmmm so it turns out I ovulated Saturday. When we did the deed.

I had no idea I was ovulating at the time as the device tells U a few days later.... Heck, I didn't even know I COULD ovulate....