How to not let stress at work derail your fitness/weight loss plans?

I'm in customer service/call center.

On a good day, work is challenging and busy.

However, being it is customer service, sometimes we get the "I need to speak to your manager" folks, who aren't actually calling for help, but to complain from the get go. Thankfully we don't get those often.

Any work will have its stress.

So that you're,

-Eating well/healthy at work/lunch.

-Exercising after work.

-Eating a healthy dinner.

-Rewarding yourself sometime.

I guess once you get into a routine (like anything else) it becomes easier?

So those stresses, bad eating, and such at work don't side track you?

I put my workout times on my calendar first and then everything else revolves around it, rather than the other way around. That way I don't fall into the trap of planning something else and assuming I'll exercise "later", which never seems to happen.

It's a lot like saving. If you pay yourself first, no need to worry about what's leftover. It's the only system that's ever worked long-term for me...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2

When you are stressed & thinking about skipping the gym remind yourself that exercise is one of the best ways to destress. Also working out releases endorphins which elevate your mood. Use the stress to motivate yourself.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

The stress I endure by missing workouts far exceeds anything I might run into at work...I have things under control here most of the time...:laugh:

Once you reach that point then anything else in your life won't matter...Your fitness goals are a priority and you don't allow outside influences affect you or derail you...

TFY

• Like 3

When I find life gets too stressful and I feel down and won't bother to go to the place I go to workout ..I will just do some yoga and meditate at home instead.

• Like 1

Take your lunch with you so you already have a healthy lunch. I walk to and from work, the early morning exercise puts me in a good frame of mind for the day and saves me in petrol and parking costs.

• Like 2
I put my workout times on my calendar first and then everything else revolves around it, rather than the other way around. That way I don't fall into the trap of planning something else and assuming I'll exercise "later", which never seems to happen.

It's a lot like saving. If you pay yourself first, no need to worry about what's leftover. It's the only system that's ever worked long-term for me...

Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky is on the money! ^^^

I exercise before work every day. No exceptions unless I'm bedridden with illness, which is incredibly rare. Then it doesn't matter what happens that day - whether I work 18 hours and things are hectic, or things are smooth and I only work eight. Workout is already done.

And I also go to the farmers' market early every Saturday to get good fresh produce, and meal prep for the entire week on a Sunday evening. If I decide to have junk (which I do occasionally) it's as a deliberate treat, not because I don't have healthy meals available.

You need to plan to succeed.

• Like 1

As with SolG above, I workout -before- I go to work in the morning. I'm with a 24x7 gym anyway so can go any time, but if I wait until days end I'm exhausted and the day will vary from 8-16 or so hours, so I absolutely must workout first if I'm to have any hope of putting in the work required to get a result.

Working out first also puts me in the right frame of mind to tackle the stresses of the day. I feel strong and my life, that bit anyway, is under control and directed.

I come back from the gym and have breakfast, suit up, and head off. I have the opportunity to eat a good breakfast and to prepare something for lunch without having to panic buy some sustenance during the day that would inevitably be laden with fats, salt and carbs.

On stress. Yes, work can be pretty stressful. I try to holiday as often as I can, even if its just 5 days at a time. If an opportunity arises, I shoot off. It helps. Mostly though, day to day, its all about getting enough sleep for me. I struggle and have to be strong and focused on prioritizing sleep.

I don't let the gym become a stress point in life either. This has been really important for me. My body type tends towards easily getting overtrained - which manifests quickly if I'm not sleeping or eating properly ... or not getting enough quality sleep. So, if I'm getting sick, or I've just come off an 18 hour shift the day before, I won't train if my energy levels are in the toilet. But don't beat yourself up.

Find a way to get your training in at least 4-5 times a week, even if a scheduled day has to be missed. Make it up. Its all about regime (for me anyway). I'm going to train xxx hours per week, come hell or high water.

If find life/work related stresses have a symbiotic relationship with training. If I train regularly, stresses are reduced. If I overtrain, stress levels can easily go up, and this then affects the additional stress I will take onboard at work. Got to remain Zen as much as possible and keep training volume to a level where overtraining doesn't start to emerge.

• Like 2

What a fabulous thread! Great suggestions and motivation from everybody.

It helps to be routine-driven. I wake up at 4:15 every morning so I can get to the gym, lift like a beast, shower and be at my desk ready to go by a little after 6. That way the hardest part of my day is over before I've even had a cup of tea. It makes the rest of the day feel much more manageable.

When confronting stress, make plans. Office frustrations are one of the few certainties in life so you might as well prepare. Stash fruit and healthy snacks at your desk. Know yourself and your reactions. Did someone cancel a meeting or change a deadline at the absolute last second and you're SO mad you could snap? Instead of heading for the candy jar, eat an apple or take a walk around the building/hallway. It helps me to get up and get moving when I'm annoyed so I have at least a few minutes to calm down. Some people chew gum solely to gnaw on something instead of gnashing their teeth or smoking a cigarette. Whatever works for you.

Exercise and healthy eating will go a long way to circumvent stress, but don't neglect sleep. And if you're focused on losing weight, you can actually take it easier at the gym. If you are eating at a serious deficit you are likely to be more tired and a little more irritable. While you should still strive for at least 5 workouts a week, if you aren't eating much you can give yourself an occasional rest day to catch up on sleep. Remember, the gym is for staying fit and improving your health, not weight loss. Eating well will have a bigger influence on your weight.

Calorie counting can be useful even if you aren't trying to lose weight. If you have a set number and someone brings in bagels, you can do the math and realize you can still have half a bagel with cream cheese if you skip your usual afternoon snack and post-dinner treat, etc.

I have simple rules for the very few days I skip the gym. As I said, I like routine; I'm not a huge believer in cheat days or whatever, I just eat well as a matter of course and don't beat myself up for the occasional cookie. But this is how I know when to modify my gym schedule:

- Not enough sleep. If I got 3 or few hours, I don't go. If I got more than 3 I'll still go, but I won't lift too heavy. You know your own body. You should always push yourself but not to the point of making anything worse.

- Feeling sick below the neck but above the waist. If you have chest pains, a severe cough, or you think you're going to throw up, you can stay home and maybe go for a walk later. Anything else, like a stuffy nose or sore foot, is something you can work around.

- Feeling lightheaded. This doesn't happen to that many people but I have a history of fainting and seizures. Some gyms will tell you to push yourself til you want to pass out. Those gyms are wrong. Again, you know your own body.

Edited by lana-banana
  • Like 1

I prioritize my gym classes. They're in my calender and everything else is scheduled around it. It also helps that I finally found a bunch of classes that I really enjoy. I used to run and use the cardio machines in the gym and always had a hard time motivating myself. Now I'm honestly looking forward to my workouts.

The eating healthy goes along with that. I go to the gym after work (three times a week) and wouldn't want to spoil a good workout with a greasy dinner in the evening. So I tend to just have a salad or anything light on my workout days.

I also have to say that in general I eat healthier and work out more when I'm stressed at work. No time for big lunches (on very busy days I'll just have some fruit or a protein bar at my desk) and I work out even more (because it helps me to destress).

It's when I'm very relaxed (on weekends and on vacation etc.) that I tend to overeat and curl up on the sofa instead of going to the gym.

It's tricky. Sometimes when I am having a stressful situation at work, I just picture myself after work and running really hard, sweating and exhausted and even that mental image makes me feel less stressed. Then follow through. But other times I will be so stressed I will just go home and curl up or binge on junk food.

• 3 weeks later...

I park 2 miles away from work and walk (and it's hilly) no matter what the weather is, so I am guaranteed to get exercise daily. I exercise on the weekends also, so 7 days a week. I have been bringing my lunch (a large homemade salad) to work for the past 7 years, and keep protein snacks such as jerky sticks, almonds, an apple, and veggies for snacks, and don't deviate from that. This is working for me and I'm committed to it as a long-term lifestyle, plus it's very economical to bring my own food to work (and the added weight in my backpack between food and the coffee from home that I bring to work add to my walking workout). The walks before and after work allow me time to mentally process whatever is going on and adds up to an hour a day of time outside, also very restorative. All of this keeps me feeling good in terms of feeling in shape and physically ready for weekend pursuits such as hiking, biking, etc.

I'm in customer service/call center.

On a good day, work is challenging and busy.

However, being it is customer service, sometimes we get the "I need to speak to your manager" folks, who aren't actually calling for help, but to complain from the get go. Thankfully we don't get those often.

Any work will have its stress.

So that you're,

-Eating well/healthy at work/lunch.

-Exercising after work.

-Eating a healthy dinner.

-Rewarding yourself sometime.

I guess once you get into a routine (like anything else) it becomes easier?

So those stresses, bad eating, and such at work don't side track you?

Right now I started a new job and i'm stressed out all the time. I love the job but stressed that I'm going to lose it and there is always some kind of drama going on. in any case it has affected my workouts as well. I want to work out in the morning before work but it's hard to make that happen. I need motivation and I need to win the lottery so I can do what I love and not have to worry about money.