Any lifters or boxers in the house?

What's your favourite lift? Why?

Which one do you hate the most? Why?

Do you go to a lifters' gym or a commercial one?

Are you training for anything specific?

Boxing? How frequently? What kind of gyms do you like? Who is your favourite in the current professional crop? (Lomachenko for me)

I like squats best. I think they make me feel like I’m working a lot of my body. Also, I’m pretty good at them.

I like hip thrusts the least because they look strange.

I lift at a commercial gym.

I’m trying to build muscle mass, speed up my metabolism, and look better.

• Like 1
  • Author
I like squats best. I think they make me feel like I’m working a lot of my body. Also, I’m pretty good at them.

I like hip thrusts the least because they look strange.

I lift at a commercial gym.

I’m trying to build muscle mass, speed up my metabolism, and look better.

How long have you been squatting? Are you following a programme?

How long have you been squatting? Are you following a programme?

I guess I might not be a “lifter” in the way that you are saying. I used to see a trainer and we did a lot of squats. But I don’t compete or anything. And I do think lifting heavy weights is very good. I can’t afford the trainer right now, plus I think I can eventually figure it out well enough on my own since I’m not a competitive athlete. Right now I am following Bret Contreras’ Strong Curves program, and a Renaissance Periodization meal plan.

What do you do?

• Like 1
  • Author
I guess I might not be a “lifter” in the way that you are saying. I used to see a trainer and we did a lot of squats. But I don’t compete or anything. And I do think lifting heavy weights is very good. I can’t afford the trainer right now, plus I think I can eventually figure it out well enough on my own since I’m not a competitive athlete. Right now I am following Bret Contreras’ Strong Curves program, and a Renaissance Periodization meal plan.

What do you do?

I use the term 'lift' to make a distinction between those that follow the big four: squat, deadlift, bench, shoulder press and those that do some kind of weight training. This is why I'm not trying to ask 'how heavy'. it doesn't matter.

I love my squats! Agree absolutely that heavy is great - though I've gone back to boxing so I've moved my focus from squatting heavy to squatting explosively with less weight. I've shifted the emphasis to agility, specifically so it's medium heavy with as much speed as I can muster.

I'll check the program, right now I'm not following anything for the above reason, just make it up :-)

Used to follow 3/2/1 years ago though. Didn't like it, put me off lifting completely for a while actually. It was such a chore to keep track of ... every... single.... lift.

• Like 1

That’s cool. I’ve wanted to try a martial art, but am too intimidated.

I’m really trying to put on a little muscle. I have a very long, lanky build. It’s really hard for me to gain muscle (fat on the other hand :p!)

Reducing fat depends on the calories -exercise intake. How you do it is up to you ;)

Building muscle depends on time "on tension". The number of reps doesn't mean as much as the time the muscle spends contracting.

However you do that, is also up to you ;)

Pick one where you have fun!

• Author
That’s cool. I’ve wanted to try a martial art, but am too intimidated.

I’m really trying to put on a little muscle. I have a very long, lanky build. It’s really hard for me to gain muscle (fat on the other hand :p!)

Ah but boxing is a sport! Not a martial art: completely different kind of people. You should try it - having said that, training with someone is best because it's technique heavy. Taking classes is good for fitness but does nothing for technique.

Haha yes, the age old fat vs muscle. Boxing certainly wouldn't help you with gaining, or at least not on a recreational level with the ordinary person's access to nutrition.

Deadlifting is my favorite lift by far. It just feels so damn good. I pick it up, I put it down again, life is all right. I am 5'1" and the first.time I lifted over 200 pounds I felt like I was walking on air.

I lift four or five times a week in a commercial but very lifter-friendly gym. My training days emphasize groups (push, pull, legs/butt, legs/back, core and mobility). I am not training competitively; I am too shy for that kind of thing.

• Like 1
  • Author
Deadlifting is my favorite lift by far. It just feels so damn good. I pick it up, I put it down again, life is all right. I am 5'1" and the first.time I lifted over 200 pounds I felt like I was walking on air.

I lift four or five times a week in a commercial but very lifter-friendly gym. My training days emphasize groups (push, pull, legs/butt, legs/back, core and mobility). I am not training competitively; I am too shy for that kind of thing.

I used to love deadlifts too - before I moved to the squat.

Same, my gym is commercial too but very lifter friendly, it's part of a university so it's decent.

Looks like you are doing the full training too! Have you ever thought maybe giving competitive training a go though, maybe you would change your mind with the right coach?

• Author
I am 39 now and pretty much retired from both sports. I still hit the gym and lift on occasion but nothing like I used to do, and I was always a hobbyist at the most.

My favorite lift is the bench press. I've got short, strong arms and the form just came to me naturally. When I was working out the most, my bench was up to 370 and I weighed around 220-230. Not bad for a guy that never took any steroids and only worked out as a hobby to keep myself busy in the winter. I absolutely despise deadlifts. That lift just wears me out like no other. I did some deadlifting but never really focused on it. My deadlift only got up to around 430 or so. I can't even remember now. I was quick to skip deadlift day :laugh:

I was never really a boxer but I did do some kickboxing/karate somewhat competitively when I was young, and one of the instructors in my gym was also a good boxer. I always had a nasty right hand but not much else. Pretty much every technique I threw was just to probe and set up my right hand. My movement kinda sucked but I have excellent timing and reflexes so I could find openings. I do miss it sometimes but life tends to take people in another direction.

My favorite boxer is UBF Champ Charlie Zelenoff :D

It's why I switched to the squat, deadlifts knocked me out so bad for the day if I trained in the morning, I was completely spent, my day useless. I used to be scared of the squat, just that fear of not being able to stand up when too fatigued. Of course got over it in about 6 months. Love boxing, can't stay away from it. My current coach is pretty strict, he knows I want to spar so he keeps hitting me when we train and I'm get something wrong (which is often).

Google "Internet Troll Charlie Zelenoff who claims he is 160-0 in the Underground Boxing Federation, calls out Deontay Wilder, he accepts." to find the Reddit clip. It's the funnies thing I've seen :D

Though the background story I've read in the comments isn't so funny, apparently he threatened Wilder's family. He is lucky he isn't dead.

I go to what would be classed as a commercial gym.

Favourite lift would be shoulder press. Bench I like also, although I tend to prefer a dumbbell bench press over a barbell, it just seems to give me better results & a more natural range of motion.

Least favourite is the deadlift. I tend to not do it these days... too many horror stories of people who've screwed their back up.

Squats are an interesting one. If I do them once a week, I'm barely able to walk from DOMS two days later. If I do them twice a week or more, I don't get the soreness at all.

• Like 2
I used to love deadlifts too - before I moved to the squat.

Same, my gym is commercial too but very lifter friendly, it's part of a university so it's decent.

Looks like you are doing the full training too! Have you ever thought maybe giving competitive training a go though, maybe you would change your mind with the right coach?

No competitive training for me. Maybe if we weren't renovating a house...

I like squats and have a fondness for front squats, which most people hate, but they don't give me the same pleasure as deadlifting. As Andy mentioned, squats seem to lead to DOMS in way other lifts don't.

I used to snatch a lot but I think that becomes a bad idea after you get too far north of 30.

I have gym here in my house. Use my own weight to build my biceps triceps, being doing this since 2012. I am very strong too. strong back and strong arms as well as leg bench press. I can do 450 lbs on the legs when I was at the gym. I don't box though and I am a black belt in karate, I do a lot of Tai Chi as well. Everyone here going do what they can. I drink unsweetened almond milk or cashew milk (homemade) with raw spinach. Blend it all up oh yes with filtered water drink that 3 times a day.. Other work out abs for 6 pack and left and right obliques. Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance with magnets. I stay healthy and trim.

• Like 1
Fearless Motivation
What's your favourite lift? Why?

Which one do you hate the most? Why?

Do you go to a lifters' gym or a commercial one?

Are you training for anything specific?

Boxing? How frequently? What kind of gyms do you like? Who is your favourite in the current professional crop? (Lomachenko for me)

yes.

:)

• Author
I go to what would be classed as a commercial gym.

Favourite lift would be shoulder press. Bench I like also, although I tend to prefer a dumbbell bench press over a barbell, it just seems to give me better results & a more natural range of motion.

Least favourite is the deadlift. I tend to not do it these days... too many horror stories of people who've screwed their back up.

Squats are an interesting one. If I do them once a week, I'm barely able to walk from DOMS two days later. If I do them twice a week or more, I don't get the soreness at all.

People underestimate the deadlift. They think it's the easiest one - while it's true that the mechanics are not complex, you do have to get the movement right and a rounded back will screw a person up, absolutely. I remember a guy in a local council owned gym with the classic Donal Duck walk, his belly sticking out and his lower back completely caved in. I tried to talk to him about it but he got upset, so now I just look away when I see people murdering their back. Especially when they lift with straps because their body can't support the weight.

I've grown to love the squat, never ever get sore even though I frequently get close to failure.

• Author
I have gym here in my house. Use my own weight to build my biceps triceps, being doing this since 2012. I am very strong too. strong back and strong arms as well as leg bench press. I can do 450 lbs on the legs when I was at the gym. I don't box though and I am a black belt in karate, I do a lot of Tai Chi as well. Everyone here going do what they can. I drink unsweetened almond milk or cashew milk (homemade) with raw spinach. Blend it all up oh yes with filtered water drink that 3 times a day.. Other work out abs for 6 pack and left and right obliques. Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance with magnets. I stay healthy and trim.

That sounds amazing - except for the almond milk. :laugh: Can't make friends with that, prefer oat.

• Author
No competitive training for me. Maybe if we weren't renovating a house...

I like squats and have a fondness for front squats, which most people hate, but they don't give me the same pleasure as deadlifting. As Andy mentioned, squats seem to lead to DOMS in way other lifts don't.

I used to snatch a lot but I think that becomes a bad idea after you get too far north of 30.

I never really tried Olympic lifts (like snatch), don't know why...

I went for front squats for a while but never really mastered the whole wrist thing, kept hurting myself so switched to back, low bar, specifically.

I do boxing. I go on average about three times a week, although recently did a half marathon and am training for a full so cut the amount of boxing sessions last two months. I go to the cheapest gym in town, think limited equipment, lots of competing fighters. I really like it, personally prefer the ones where people are competing regularly, it shows its a genuine boxing gym. Nothing wrong with boxercise, it will get you incredibly fit if thats your goal, but its not good for technique and doesnt mean someone can box. Out of the current crop of fighters, there's quite a few - Crawford is exceptional, last Canelo vs GGG fight was immense, Lomachenko obviously.

Lifting and boxing Id imagine would be hard, how do you balance the two? Are you not sore from the lifting in the boxing sessions?