Does anyone here use a Fitbit?

I've used one for years....I have migrated up from the original to the ChargeHR. I am happy with the results, tracking steps, sleep mainly. I also have friends who use it and we have a weekly competition which can be motivating.

Any specific questions you have?

• Like 1

I have a fitbit blaze and really like it. My wife has one too, but hers has had some battery issues and she is going to return it for warranty service. The fitbit blaze is being replaced by the ionic which I would like to get eventually, so there may be some deals on the blaze if they are still for sale.

I only have to charge my blaze at most 2x a week, although I believe the ionic battery life is a little shorter.

It has some neat features, but you may need to fiddle with it (like i had to change it to not give notifications for emails as it was very distracting) and it needs an android phone to use fully (well I have an android, I think they have an iphone companion application as well.)

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you for your replies. I’m mainly interested in recording steps etc, I’d be keen on a waterproof one as I do a lot of swimming.

The blaze is not waterproof, I don't think the Ionic is either.

You can wash your hands with them, and probably a quick shower, and I once forgot and wore mine in a sauna for awhile (maybe 10-15 mins) and it was fine.

But they are good for recording steps, have workout prompts, and etc. Lots of features really but not ok for submersion.

Although you might find a 3rd party watchband/case to make it so, but I am not aware of one (never looked).

Also the default rubber watchband is not great (sturdy and serviceable but irritated my wrist over a few months), but 3rd party bands which fit are available cheaply on amazon.

• Like 1
Thank you for your replies. I’m mainly interested in recording steps etc, I’d be keen on a waterproof one as I do a lot of swimming.

Don't know if you're an iPhone user, but the Apple watch is waterproof starting with Gen 2. And there are deals out the with the Gen 4 nearing release...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
  • Author
Don't know if you're an iPhone user, but the Apple watch is waterproof starting with Gen 2. And there are deals out the with the Gen 4 nearing release...

Mr. Lucky

I will look into one, I am an iPhone user. Thank you.

• Author

Checked with a friend of mine who has a gen 2 Iphone watch, looks like this is my best option, although better value for my money going for the 3 or 4 now.

Will go shopping soon.

• Like 1
Checked with a friend of mine who has a gen 2 Iphone watch, looks like this is my best option, although better value for my money going for the 3 or 4 now.

Will go shopping soon.

I’ve owned a Fitbit and loved it. I found the way they display workout history much more intuitive than Apple’s activity app. I ended up with an Apple Watch because of the gps functionality and it integrates with my phone more seamlessly. Fitbits are great though..

I just got one a month or so ago and really like it. If you don't have the data you just don't know what's up. Having a baseline for activity levels (number of steps a day) is very helpful. My favorite features though are things that were not on my radar when I bought it. The sleep monitor is fascinating. It tells you how well you slept and you can track it again because now I have the data. The heart rate monitor has been great as well. I used to think driving was relaxing but now I know it is stressful and kicks my heart rate up 10 beats per minute. I also have a much better idea of my cardiovascular health.

If you are going to buy one I'd go with the charge II. They are $!39 new but you can buy the main unit for $65 on ebay along wit $10 for a watch strap and charger and have a new one for $75 with everything but the box that comes with the $139 model.

One other feature I really like is the gps tracking. The police used it in the missing persons case (Molly Tibbits?) to track her last known locations. I bought one for my son for that reason alone. He's 11 but now I can track his activity levels to make sure his video game habit is kept in check. The technology for the price is truly outstanding. There's so many out there scientist can study activity and cardiovascular health for cultures all over the planet. Youtube it. It's truly fascinating.

• Like 1

Most are not water proof. Read the labels carefully.

My husband got me one for Christmas. Turns out I am one of the small minority of people who have an adverse reaction to the device. It uses a pulse of light to detect the info it gets about you -- steps, heartbeat, sleep etc. It gave me hives. So now it just sits in my jewelry box.

I have a Charge 2 that I enjoy, it's great for walking, hiking, climbing and the online application is nice to keep track of calories.

I take it off when I box, I haven't found it to be too useful for recording my progress with that, and also it's a little uncomfortable under the glove.

• Like 1
  • Author
Most are not water proof. Read the labels carefully.

My husband got me one for Christmas. Turns out I am one of the small minority of people who have an adverse reaction to the device. It uses a pulse of light to detect the info it gets about you -- steps, heartbeat, sleep etc. It gave me hives. So now it just sits in my jewelry box.

Wow that’s good to know!

• Author

After looking some more, I’m thinking the Fitbit Versa may be a good option for me and cheaper than the iwatch

mrs rubble -- it's a really tiny amount of people like 1/2% of the users. I'm just a special snowflake that way. :eek:

• Like 1

I had a Fitbit Charge 2. It was neat, but I got rid of it since it's not waterproof and has no GPS so the running distance tracking isn't particularly accurate.

I'm currently using a Garmin Vivoactive 3, which fixes both of the above. Only had it a week so far, but pretty impressed with the results.

• Like 1
  • Author

I’m now thinking a Samsung fit 2, a lot cheaper & has everything I want, I was set in a Fitbit Versa there, nearly bought one today and didn’t get the deal I expected. Apple is too expensive.

• 1 month later...
  • Author

I got the Fitbit versa, I can track my swimming with it and I’m loving getting the notifications of calls and texts to my phone, very cool. I haven’t gone through all the features yet, but I’m loving keeping track of my heart rate and steps, I’ve done 12500 so far today. 6.31pm here.

I walked to and from work, had a reasonably quiet day at work, then went grocery shopping after work.

I tossed up for so long between the apple, Samsung and Fitbit, I decided that for what I wanted, It was best value for my money.

• 1 month later...

I have a fit bit and I think it's fun but when it comes to counting steps it not entirely accurate. This is because you wear it on your wrist and so it calculates some arm movements as steps. I remember someone joking on a talk show once how weird it was that their teenage son's Fitbit says he takes 20,000 steps a day yet he never leaves his room, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
I have a fit bit and I think it's fun but when it comes to counting steps it not entirely accurate. This is because you wear it on your wrist and so it calculates some arm movements as steps. I remember someone joking on a talk show once how weird it was that their teenage son's Fitbit says he takes 20,000 steps a day yet he never leaves his room, lol.

Yes, I found it very interesting that I’d done 5,500 steps sitting in our motor home going over bumpy roads yesterday yet if I’m driving in my car on smooth roads no steps are recorded so it’s not completely accurate.

On a positive note I’ve lost weight, my doctor didn’t recognise me last time I saw him and I’ve managed to lower my blood pressure medication by being fitter.

• Like 1
  • Author
I am using a Fitbit Flex 2 waterproof fitness tracker to track steps, distance, calories burned and activity time. Everything is fine. The manufacturer says it is waterproof, but I have not tested its waterproof rating and I don't think it is completely waterproof.

I have tested my versa in the pool, it works fine but does record slightly more metres than I’ve actually done.

I'm back to wearing mine. I don't get many steps when I push a shopping cart through the grocery store or pull wheeled luggage behind me with that hand.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Yes,I am using Fitbit Blaze from over a year now and the best thing I liked about it is we don't need a watch on our wrist anymore. So, I greatly suggest everyone to use this.