LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Does anyone here use a Fitbit?

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2018, 3:01 AM   #1
Established Member

Talking Does anyone here use a Fitbit?

If so can you please share your experience and recommendations.
TIA
mrs rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 8:28 AM   #2
Established Member

I've used one for years....I have migrated up from the original to the ChargeHR. I am happy with the results, tracking steps, sleep mainly. I also have friends who use it and we have a weekly competition which can be motivating.

Any specific questions you have?
kgcolonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Established Member

I have a fitbit blaze and really like it. My wife has one too, but hers has had some battery issues and she is going to return it for warranty service. The fitbit blaze is being replaced by the ionic which I would like to get eventually, so there may be some deals on the blaze if they are still for sale.

I only have to charge my blaze at most 2x a week, although I believe the ionic battery life is a little shorter.

It has some neat features, but you may need to fiddle with it (like i had to change it to not give notifications for emails as it was very distracting) and it needs an android phone to use fully (well I have an android, I think they have an iphone companion application as well.)
Orokotikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 5:04 PM   #4
Established Member

Thank you for your replies. Iím mainly interested in recording steps etc, Iíd be keen on a waterproof one as I do a lot of swimming.
Old 21st September 2018, 5:32 PM   #5
Established Member

The blaze is not waterproof, I don't think the Ionic is either.
You can wash your hands with them, and probably a quick shower, and I once forgot and wore mine in a sauna for awhile (maybe 10-15 mins) and it was fine.

But they are good for recording steps, have workout prompts, and etc. Lots of features really but not ok for submersion.

Although you might find a 3rd party watchband/case to make it so, but I am not aware of one (never looked).
Also the default rubber watchband is not great (sturdy and serviceable but irritated my wrist over a few months), but 3rd party bands which fit are available cheaply on amazon.
Orokotikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 6:38 PM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs rubble View Post
Thank you for your replies. Iím mainly interested in recording steps etc, Iíd be keen on a waterproof one as I do a lot of swimming.
Don't know if you're an iPhone user, but the Apple watch is waterproof starting with Gen 2. And there are deals out the with the Gen 4 nearing release...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 7:20 PM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky View Post
Don't know if you're an iPhone user, but the Apple watch is waterproof starting with Gen 2. And there are deals out the with the Gen 4 nearing release...

Mr. Lucky
I will look into one, I am an iPhone user. Thank you.
Old 22nd September 2018, 5:24 AM   #8
Established Member

Checked with a friend of mine who has a gen 2 Iphone watch, looks like this is my best option, although better value for my money going for the 3 or 4 now.
Will go shopping soon.
Old 22nd September 2018, 6:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs rubble View Post
Checked with a friend of mine who has a gen 2 Iphone watch, looks like this is my best option, although better value for my money going for the 3 or 4 now.
Will go shopping soon.
Iíve owned a Fitbit and loved it. I found the way they display workout history much more intuitive than Appleís activity app. I ended up with an Apple Watch because of the gps functionality and it integrates with my phone more seamlessly. Fitbits are great though..
SteadyPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:09 AM   #10
Established Member

I just got one a month or so ago and really like it. If you don't have the data you just don't know what's up. Having a baseline for activity levels (number of steps a day) is very helpful. My favorite features though are things that were not on my radar when I bought it. The sleep monitor is fascinating. It tells you how well you slept and you can track it again because now I have the data. The heart rate monitor has been great as well. I used to think driving was relaxing but now I know it is stressful and kicks my heart rate up 10 beats per minute. I also have a much better idea of my cardiovascular health.

If you are going to buy one I'd go with the charge II. They are $!39 new but you can buy the main unit for $65 on ebay along wit $10 for a watch strap and charger and have a new one for $75 with everything but the box that comes with the $139 model.

One other feature I really like is the gps tracking. The police used it in the missing persons case (Molly Tibbits?) to track her last known locations. I bought one for my son for that reason alone. He's 11 but now I can track his activity levels to make sure his video game habit is kept in check. The technology for the price is truly outstanding. There's so many out there scientist can study activity and cardiovascular health for cultures all over the planet. Youtube it. It's truly fascinating.
4fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:52 AM   #11
Established Member

Most are not water proof. Read the labels carefully.

My husband got me one for Christmas. Turns out I am one of the small minority of people who have an adverse reaction to the device. It uses a pulse of light to detect the info it gets about you -- steps, heartbeat, sleep etc. It gave me hives. So now it just sits in my jewelry box.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:58 AM   #12
Established Member

I have a Charge 2 that I enjoy, it's great for walking, hiking, climbing and the online application is nice to keep track of calories.

I take it off when I box, I haven't found it to be too useful for recording my progress with that, and also it's a little uncomfortable under the glove.
Finding my way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 2:27 AM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
Most are not water proof. Read the labels carefully.

My husband got me one for Christmas. Turns out I am one of the small minority of people who have an adverse reaction to the device. It uses a pulse of light to detect the info it gets about you -- steps, heartbeat, sleep etc. It gave me hives. So now it just sits in my jewelry box.
Wow thatís good to know!
Old 23rd September 2018, 2:29 AM   #14
Established Member

After looking some more, Iím thinking the Fitbit Versa may be a good option for me and cheaper than the iwatch
Old 23rd September 2018, 10:08 AM   #15
Established Member

mrs rubble -- it's a really tiny amount of people like 1/2% of the users. I'm just a special snowflake that way.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote