Crohn’s Disease

I agree with Garcon that there are many reputable websites and that a trip to the doctor is required by the person experiencing the symptoms.

What I do know is that it's a completely debilitating disease which can impact the whole of one's life, frequently rendering them unable work. It's bad stuff.

If you have questions about something which is unclear I can explain it to you. However if you want personalized medical advice your general practitioner is the way to go for the safest advice and treatment.

• Author

I’m not looking for a replacement for a dr, just curious what others know about it. I hadn’t heard that it can be debilitating. Most things I’ve read say that it can deplete you of nutrition and that it can go into remission, even for years.

The root cause of Crohn's disease isn't well understood but is thought to be related to an improper immune reaction to the gut. Being in a severe flareup can be very debilitating. When well treated, people can go for a long time on maintenance medicines and feel rather well. Other non-Western meds have been tried with varying results.

I know several people for whom the disease progressed to the point that they required surgery to remove the diseased bowel. One friend was away from work for two years - she was so malnourished and so sick, without the surgery she would have died.

Crohn’s disease can be debilitating.

• Author
my dad is a retired gastroenterologist. I can ask him if you have a specific question about Chron's...

Thanks. I’m just curious about people’s experiences with it, or their knowledge of it. Wow, that’s really neat about your dad. I’ll bet he had an amazing career.

One of my daughter's best friend has this disease. It's not easy to manage. She has to follow a strict diet otherwise she'll be in pain. She avoids eating anything she has not made herself, if we invite her to a bbq she'll bring her hotdogs and her drinks. She has to have colonoscopy regularly to make sure no cancer is developing. When she is in crisis her stomach get really big like she's 6 months + pregnant. She has really bad days, and days everything is fine. She's a really brave woman, mother of 2 kids, and always have a smile on her face.

• Like 2
  • Author
One of my daughter's best friend has this disease. It's not easy to manage. She has to follow a strict diet otherwise she'll be in pain. She avoids eating anything she has not made herself, if we invite her to a bbq she'll bring her hotdogs and her drinks. She has to have colonoscopy regularly to make sure no cancer is developing. When she is in crisis her stomach get really big like she's 6 months + pregnant. She has really bad days, and days everything is fine. She's a really brave woman, mother of 2 kids, and always have a smile on her face.

Sounds like a really serious disease. I had no idea.

Sounds like a really serious disease. I had no idea.

I am not sure if it's like that for everybody and if there are different stage in the illness I know it monopolizes her life pretty much. When she goes somewhere she has to know where the washroom is and if there is a second one available. She works full time but it's a given she will be absent a bit through the year. She avoids going anywhere and prefers people to visit her so that she is never caught somewhere with no washroom or in sudden pain.

• Author
I am not sure if it's like that for everybody and if there are different stage in the illness I know it monopolizes her life pretty much. When she goes somewhere she has to know where the washroom is and if there is a second one available. She works full time but it's a given she will be absent a bit through the year. She avoids going anywhere and prefers people to visit her so that she is never caught somewhere with no washroom or in sudden pain.

In her case, it really controls her life. That’s very sad.

A very good friend of mine has it, so has her daughter.

They’ve both had to have bowel surgery. My friend was off work go for months .