Losing weight but not losing butt size

So what do you do when you want to lose weight but your partner likes certain body parts "thicker" and complains when it's smaller.

I've been with my bf for 5 years now. When we met, I was probably 10-12 pounds lighter than I am now. I've always been well-endowed in the butt area. So even though I was thin, I still had a "bubble butt." Well over the years as I gained weight, I got even bigger there. At one point a couple years ago, I was about 18 pounds heavier. BF never complained about my weight as he liked the side effects.

Well, I have not been comfortable at this weight and have lost about 5 pounds in the last couple weeks. He misses the larger butt. I refuse to stay at a heavier weight, and believe me... I still am well-endowed down there. So, it's not like there's nothing there.

Any suggestions??

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

Tell him to pound sand, or start squatting....There's your choices...;)

I don't know what you look like, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why guys like these huuuuuuuuge amorphous shaped asses....I mean, when I look at what some of these guys find hot, it just looks:sick::sick:

Then you have women actually injecting fat into their asses, to artificially create that look..That's even worse....:rolleyes:

But back to weight training...Weight training will give most women a "pop" to their butt....That's what you want...Not a freak show. IMO..

TFY

• Like 3

Some guys just like larger butts. However, I do think that to most guys, 18 lbs more or less doesn't make too much of a difference. Just carry on as usual - if he's the kind of person worth being in a relationship with, he'll get used to it.

• Like 1

Your weight & your overall health are yours to control. Be the weight that makes you happy. He can have his preferences but if he continues to criticize or worse breaks up with you over the size of your butt, you know he's an ass. [pun intended]

• Author

Whoa whoa whoa guys....

Thanks for the feedback but yikes! I need to make it clear that my bf does not criticize my appearance or make me feel like I need to change how I look to make him happy. He does NOT want me to have a humongous fat injected butt. lol. He playfully made the comment and in no way expects me to be fat to please him. He’s the least controlling person I’ve been with. I was in no way insulted or hurt by his comment given his tone and personality. He’s a really good guy, and there is no possibility of him breaking up with me over something like this!

I have no intention of not continuing to lose weight. I have about 8 lbs left to lose and will do so soon. He will still love me just the same. But I am looking for ideas on how to “preserve” butt size as I do lose weight. Btw, I’m only 5’2 so 18 pounds made a huge difference for me.

• Like 1

I think your shape in that sense is up to God & genetics. I know you can't spot reduce (or my tummy would have been history long ago) but I don't think you can spot preserve either. Perhaps do some exercise to strengthen glutes & maintain a more muscular tush.

• Like 3
  • Author
I think your shape in that sense is up to God & genetics. I know you can't spot reduce (or my tummy would have been history long ago) but I don't think you can spot preserve either. Perhaps do some exercise to strengthen glutes & maintain a more muscular tush.

He has always complimented my shape. I think he just got used to the bigger tush and is missing it. Lol

I’m going to look into doing exercises for glutes.

• Author
The women in the cycling club always had well-defined and shapely butts.

Hmm, good to know!

If you google how to not lose your butt while dieting it may show up. It worked for me for my boobs.

• Like 1
Whoa whoa whoa guys....

Thanks for the feedback but yikes! I need to make it clear that my bf does not criticize my appearance or make me feel like I need to change how I look to make him happy. He does NOT want me to have a humongous fat injected butt. lol. He playfully made the comment and in no way expects me to be fat to please him. He’s the least controlling person I’ve been with. I was in no way insulted or hurt by his comment given his tone and personality. He’s a really good guy, and there is no possibility of him breaking up with me over something like this!

I have no intention of not continuing to lose weight. I have about 8 lbs left to lose and will do so soon. He will still love me just the same. But I am looking for ideas on how to “preserve” butt size as I do lose weight. Btw, I’m only 5’2 so 18 pounds made a huge difference for me.

There is no way to do that, unfortunately. Exercise can make butts look "tighter", but it certainly doesn't make them bigger!

If it was a playful comment, I think there's no point worrying too much over it. Maybe just buy some nice lingerie that shows off your butt? ;)

• Author
There is no way to do that, unfortunately. Exercise can make butts look "tighter", but it certainly doesn't make them bigger!

If it was a playful comment, I think there's no point worrying too much over it. Maybe just buy some nice lingerie that shows off your butt? ;)

Oh I’m not worrying too much. That’s why I posted to the “fitness” board and not the “dating” board. Lol. I didn’t intend to make this a “relationship” issue. Just looking for ideas! I like the lingerie idea :)

• Like 2

Squats. Weighted and unweighted. Lots and lots of them. Your entire body from your calves to your butt to your traps to your bone density will thank you for them. Pretty much the best single exercise you can do for your body.

P.s. and your butt will be rockin'

• Like 3
  • Author
Squats. Weighted and unweighted. Lots and lots of them. Your entire body from your calves to your butt to your traps to your bone density will thank you for them. Pretty much the best single exercise you can do for your body.

P.s. and your butt will be rockin'

Awesome! I'm on it :)

Here's my take on squats. If you have good knees, go for it, they are the best way to a great butt. Women are more prone to maltracking patellas than men, however. So, if you have any history of bad knees, or injuries, stay away.

Basically, if squats hurt, stop until you know why.

I squatted, and squatted some more, and still squatted after they hurt like hell. My first knee replacement is scheduled for October. The second won't be far behind.

I'll have bionic knees and a flat ass. :(

• Like 2
  • Author
Here's my take on squats. If you have good knees, go for it, they are the best way to a great butt. Women are more prone to maltracking patellas than men, however. So, if you have any history of bad knees, or injuries, stay away.

Basically, if squats hurt, stop until you know why.

I squatted, and squatted some more, and still squatted after they hurt like hell. My first knee replacement is scheduled for October. The second won't be far behind.

I'll have bionic knees and a flat ass. :(

Omg. I'm so sorry :eek:

I have horrible knees....this is not good news.

• Like 1
Omg. I'm so sorry :eek:

I have horrible knees....this is not good news.

It was my fault, for not recognizing what I had going on.

I just don't want to see anyone else go through the same. Lunges are an alternative, not sure how hard they are on the knees. I never liked them, so played tough, LOL! Play and pay, I guess.

Just be very careful, and good luck. And I'm sure your butt looks fine as is; we're our own worst critics!

Edit: someone else mentioned stair master. That might work for you. The only things I'm cleared to do are biking and swimming (which I despise!)

Edited by MidwestUSA
  • Like 1
  • Author
It was my fault, for not recognizing what I had going on.

I just don't want to see anyone else go through the same. Lunges are an alternative, not sure how hard they are on the knees. I never liked them, so played tough, LOL! Play and pay, I guess.

Just be very careful, and good luck. And I'm sure your butt looks fine as is; we're our own worst critics!

Edit: someone else mentioned stair master. That might work for you. The only things I'm cleared to do are biking and swimming (which I despise!)

Well, thank you for the warning!

I actually think my butt is too big as it is. lol I always have thought that, so on one hand I feel torn about bf liking the bigger butt and on the other hand, I'm happy to have someone who appreciates it. :p

• Like 1
MaleIntuition

Squats are somewhat overrated when it comes to glute activation. It’s a great exercise, but you should also look for movements that involves moving the hip such as deadlifts and hip thrusts.

Also remember to get enough proteins when you are on a caloric deficit to preserve muscles.

• Like 2

You can most certainly develop your glutes to preserve and even grow the derriere. I am walking proof of that, and I have worked hard to get here.

Others mentioned squats, which are great, but I would also follow MaleIntuition's recommendation of dead-lifts and hip thrusts and eating enough protein to support muscle growth. That is where I started to notice real change.

In other words, get to the gym and hit the weights and watch your nutrition carefully.

• Like 2

You can't lose your biological shape with dieting and exercise. You'll probably retain your booty as you lose weight.

One can most certainly gain muscle mass. The trouble for a woman is gaining enough muscle mass to offset the fat lost during dieting. A pound of muscle looks very different from a pound of fat, think lean meat vs jello. A lb of jello looks big. A lean lb of steak looks small.

However, if the op isnt losing anymore fat, she should notice a difference. I've heard that a woman can usually gain 3 inches of muscle to the glutes in a year. I like the hip abductor. Many fitness chics use this machine while leaning forward to target the gluts. I also recommend deadlifts (there are many kinds), bulgarian split squats, lunges, and step ups.

• Like 2

Yes. I've dieted a lot, though I've now thrown in the towel. I have a flat butt. It's sad. I rode horses bareback a lot as a child. :love:

So my fat always came off certain places first. Wherever the last place to get fat was, that's the first that came off. In my case, my legs. Places where I've always had problem area (stomach), is the last to go and really never goes.

But for your butt, there's exercises to do. Just get on google and look up butt exercises. One is to stand up and simple raise your leg bending it upward behind you from the knee. You can do it laying on your stomach too. Leg lifts lying on your stomach, whole ones or knee one like I just described. You can feel if it's getting that butt muscle. I managed to build mine up a little late in life on one of my last diets and exercise regimens. So you'll lose some of the fat but replace it with muscle there. It will lift a little and poke out a little.

• Like 1