I gained 40 pounds in 11 months. Time to get back to the old me

These past 11 months I was in a relationship with a girlfriend who was an absolute foodie. I picked up some bad eating habits but it's certainly my fault as well. Anyway, we broke up (mutual) as of last week and in the week I've been single, I can already feel a difference just by eating right and exercising. I went from 180 to 219.... probably tipped over 220 at some point but I was too scared to look after I saw 219. I weighed in at 212 this past Tuesday and will weigh myself tomorrow. I had a pretty good week although I did treat myself to a "break up pizza" on Tuesday which I spread over 3 days. (4 slices Tuesday dinner, 2 slices Wednesday lunch, last 2 slices Thursday lunch).

But overall, nothing that killed my week. Can't wait to see the progress I make. I know it's not going to be overnight and I likely won't see semi-drastic results until mid September or so (i.e. a month from now). I'll probably be losing weight into January 2019 because I have 30+ pounds to drop. Taking the mindset of slow and steady but watching my calories too.

Anyone else went on a lifestyle change/diet post break up? How did it go?

A lot of people have during and post bad relationship. It's called the divorce diet. I feel best at 165-170 lbs and I got to 205 with bad eating habits and to much beer. I dropped the junk food and beer and really rather quickly dropped 40 lbs. For one the extra weight was interfering with my job, two one of my little sons was laughing at what he called Dad's fat pictures. Three I was at the end of a bad marriage and my now wife came along. I couldn't count the number of times I had been asked by friends " How in the world did YOU get her??"

These past 11 months I was in a relationship with a girlfriend who was an absolute foodie. I picked up some bad eating habits but it's certainly my fault as well.

Had to laugh because in many circles "foodie" doesn't mean fattening, in fact it has the reverse connotation with flavors from healthy ingredients and cooking styles. Do you mean junk food junkie?

I lost weight post-divorce just by modifying the food and drink I was used to eating. Yogurt for butter, water for soda, etc. Combined with exercise, pretty easy to drop 2-3 lbs a week...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

see I was always active, I used to go to the gym every day and do challanges on my Fitbit and log what I eat on my fitness pal

My weight was really in a nice place

until I graduated from school and started studying for my grad admission test

that's when I gained around 35 pounds in like 6-7 months

I was devastated

because I let myself go, I didn't log and count my calories on my fitness pal and I didn't go to the gym at all during that time, and I ate whatever I wanted. Moreover, I would sit for hours studying, my back hurt my butt hurt, it was crazy!

So, I said to myself I am not gonna let that test ruin my body image and my health.

I started going to the gym again, doing challenges on my Fitbit again

getting 10 k steps at least every day.

and I started logging my calories on my fitness pal again

6 months later and I lost 30 pounds

I still want to lose more, But I am still studying so it's not that easy.

You can do it. You can really do it

Just do this

buy Fitbit watch: I prefer the blaze, versa or ionic because they measure your heart rate

download their app, the community there are awesome

add friends on Fitbit challenges on Fitbit app :Goal day especially

Hit the gym every day, walk every day 10 k and do weight lifting at least 3 times a day.

If you can't walk swim, that's why I suggested you purchase fitbit ionic or versa are made to people who swim.

Download my fitness pal and tell them you want to lose 1 pounds weekly, they will tell you how much calories you need to eat every day

and then log everything you eat there

I mean everything, it might be daunting, but it's really not

because the food get saved and you can copy paste from yesterday or 2 days ago, even if you make a meal you can save it there forever.

Also, watch youtube for people who do meal prep, that will give you a lot of ideas.

needless to say : More veggie and fruit, salad than chips and chocolate.

Try to make water is your friend and prepare a lot of protein shake.

you won't lose the weight fast, it is is a process but it is durable.

Your goal should be to be healthy 1st and looking attractive second!

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Congrats to NoProblem and Mr. Lucky for losing the weight! Yes, she was a foodie in the negative sense -- loved eating greasy fried food and her whole family does. She still lives at home so when she gets home, fried fatty foods will be leftover and that's what she mostly consumes. Then when we got together we would just eat out a ton with no prejudice. It was like our dating each other gave us permission to let loose, since we're already in a happy relationship. (i.e. less "pressure" to look our best and easier to reach for fatty foods). Unfortunately, as I came to realize, there's no such thing as a free pass. Our weight gain was a small factor but a factor nonetheless in our relationship eroding.

Learning from that and moving on!

Thanks for the tips, NoProblem.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
ExpatInItaly

Good for you, Teknoe. I always applaud an effort to go back to a healthy lifestyle.

Another motivating factor to stay away from the junk (aside from weight loss) is also the overall health factor. Eating processed and greasy food certainly piles on the weight, but it also does nasty things to cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar, the heart and other vital organs. It also messes with brain chemistry and overall emotional well-being.

Obviously we feel gratified when the weight comes off for the aesthetic benefits, but you could also keep the internal factors in mind while you're on your journey to getting in shape. The ex and her family are doing untold damage to their bodies that they likely can't even see yet, probably necessitating all types of medications in the future just to keep them functioning. Who knows what sort of heart disease or other medical problems are around the corner for them and others who fill their bodies with junk.

You, on the other hand, will probably be able to bypass much of that trouble and give yourself a ticket to a longer and happier life, with a nice physique as the cherry on top. Keep up the good work!

I wouldn't pay too much close attention to the weight you're losing in the first month. A lot of that weight is water weight. Focus instead on incorporating healthier eating habits if you haven't already and find creative ways to prepare meals ahead of time. Compulsive or impulsive eating happens when you don't plan ahead or have relevant snacks on hand. Eating out becomes too easy and so does ordering in. Don't do that. Make sure you spend time each week prepping your meals.

Any change in diet or weight loss program should incorporate exercise. Are you getting that in? Even if it starts out as 30 minutes a day doing a walk around the block, it counts. You can work yourself up to 35 min, 40 min, 45 min and eventually start walking for hours and you'll also feel a lot better with all those endorphins.

• Author
I wouldn't pay too much close attention to the weight you're losing in the first month. A lot of that weight is water weight. Focus instead on incorporating healthier eating habits if you haven't already and find creative ways to prepare meals ahead of time. Compulsive or impulsive eating happens when you don't plan ahead or have relevant snacks on hand. Eating out becomes too easy and so does ordering in. Don't do that. Make sure you spend time each week prepping your meals.

Any change in diet or weight loss program should incorporate exercise. Are you getting that in? Even if it starts out as 30 minutes a day doing a walk around the block, it counts. You can work yourself up to 35 min, 40 min, 45 min and eventually start walking for hours and you'll also feel a lot better with all those endorphins.

Quick update, I was 212.0 3 weeks ago. Today I was 204.0. I lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks, and I am super proud of myself. Still ate some pizza and burgers, but moderation. Made sure I stayed within 2,000 calories each day, and many days going 1,700 calories.

To answer your question, I work out for 45-50 minutes Monday nights-Thursday nights. I do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and I have a trainer (well, more like a group workout coach) but still, that helps a ton.

By Labor Day Weekend I see myself being 201-202 and the weekend after that, I should finally be under 200 for the first time in MONTHS :)

One day at a time!

• Like 3
To answer your question, I work out for 45-50 minutes Monday nights-Thursday nights. I do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and I have a trainer (well, more like a group workout coach) but still, that helps a ton.

Great way to go about it because the peer pressure from the group helps you stay on track. I did cardio tennis 3X a week and, if I were a no show, had other group members calling saying "where were you?".

Strength in numbers...

Mr. Lucky

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Teknoe, congrats on your progress! How is it all going? Have you any updates?

I can relate a little. My ex was a super fit soldier and we were pretty healthy together but he ate a lot more than me which I guess meant I was eating more than I would normally and he would burn a lot more calories than me. We would go out once a week for a nice meal or burger, and have cheese and wine nights.. it all adds up. It sort of became a comfort for us to sit home together with our favourite snacks.. especially when I was depressed. During the bad times and after the breakup my snacks became very regular and I have disordered eating. Anyway now I am trying to shed a few - have managed to avoid rubbish for a couple of weeks and lost a few already. Your story is motivating.

It seems that the people around you can greatly influence your eating habits. I have to refuse a lot of cake at work and find that quite easy.. but at home it is harder. I'm thinking about my next relationship and how to stay healthy and keep us both on track but still have fun and eat junk food from time to time. But without it getting too regular, who doesn't want to have fun and splurge? Anyone have any thoughts?

Edited by smiley1
  • Author
Hi Teknoe, congrats on your progress! How is it all going? Have you any updates?

I can relate a little. My ex was a super fit soldier and we were pretty healthy together but he ate a lot more than me which I guess meant I was eating more than I would normally and he would burn a lot more calories than me. We would go out once a week for a nice meal or burger, and have cheese and wine nights.. it all adds up. It sort of became a comfort for us to sit home together with our favourite snacks.. especially when I was depressed. During the bad times and after the breakup my snacks became very regular and I have disordered eating. Anyway now I am trying to shed a few - have managed to avoid rubbish for a couple of weeks and lost a few already. Your story is motivating.

It seems that the people around you can greatly influence your eating habits. I have to refuse a lot of cake at work and find that quite easy.. but at home it is harder. I'm thinking about my next relationship and how to stay healthy and keep us both on track but still have fun and eat junk food from time to time. But without it getting too regular, who doesn't want to have fun and splurge? Anyone have any thoughts?

Hey Smiley thanks and congrats on losing a few yourself. Yes I do have an update. Yesterday was six weeks being single and my weigh in was... 199.5!!!

First time being under 200 in at least six months if not the whole year!

I still enjoy my pizzas and burgers but I track calories and do high intensity interval training four nights a week. Marching toward 165!

Edit: to answer your last question: moderation! All about spreading it out. You can do it!

• Like 3

Hey well done!

I’ve lost about 15kg in the last year, through cutting out bad food and drink choices. I’ve started walking to and from work, about a 7km round trip.. and have gained weight, I’m guessing muscle mass is taking over as I feel and look fitter... just a reminder don’t let the numbers distract from your fitness or wellbeing goals.

• Like 1

Congrats at the weight loss. It can be invigorating.

One word of advice: Be careful with dropping too many calories. I don't know what your activity levels are like, but at your weight, 2000 calories is pretty close to the lowest you'd wanna get, even with little physical activity.

Losing weight quickly is fun, but if it's done through too much of a caloric deficit, you'll plateau eventually and likely before you get to your ideal body composition. And then, you've already cut calories about as much as you can, and well, things can get out of hand from there.

I say this as someone who's lost a good chunk of weight a few times in my life, and not always in a smart, patient way. The suggested amount of weight loss for most people is 1-2 pounds a week.

Hey Smiley thanks and congrats on losing a few yourself. Yes I do have an update. Yesterday was six weeks being single and my weigh in was... 199.5!!!

First time being under 200 in at least six months if not the whole year!

I still enjoy my pizzas and burgers but I track calories and do high intensity interval training four nights a week. Marching toward 165!

Edit: to answer your last question: moderation! All about spreading it out. You can do it!

it's all about portion control and exercise

• Like 1
  • Author
Congrats at the weight loss. It can be invigorating.

One word of advice: Be careful with dropping too many calories. I don't know what your activity levels are like, but at your weight, 2000 calories is pretty close to the lowest you'd wanna get, even with little physical activity.

Losing weight quickly is fun, but if it's done through too much of a caloric deficit, you'll plateau eventually and likely before you get to your ideal body composition. And then, you've already cut calories about as much as you can, and well, things can get out of hand from there.

I say this as someone who's lost a good chunk of weight a few times in my life, and not always in a smart, patient way. The suggested amount of weight loss for most people is 1-2 pounds a week.

Well I am at 12.5 pounds lost over 6 weeks so I am averaging a little over 2 pounds lost a week. I am definitely not doing anything crazy like under 1,500 calories.

Well I am at 12.5 pounds lost over 6 weeks so I am averaging a little over 2 pounds lost a week. I am definitely not doing anything crazy like under 1,500 calories.

good job Teknoe, keep it up

• Like 1
  • Author
good job Teknoe, keep it up

Thanks AlphaMale. Will do. I'm doing the long game/lifelong mindset rather than a quick fix crash diet. I'm in no hurry to get to 165... I think 5 months to lose 35 pounds or so would be a safe and doable goal. 20 weeks to lose 35 puts me at about 1.75 pounds lost a week. I've got my eye on Valentines Day 2019 but I won't kick myself if I don't get to 165 by then. I know it's going to happen. Just a matter of when.

Key is enjoying the journey and celebrating the small victories.

• Like 1
These past 11 months I was in a relationship with a girlfriend who was an absolute foodie. I picked up some bad eating habits but it's certainly my fault as well. Anyway, we broke up (mutual) as of last week and in the week I've been single, I can already feel a difference just by eating right and exercising. I went from 180 to 219.... probably tipped over 220 at some point but I was too scared to look after I saw 219. I weighed in at 212 this past Tuesday and will weigh myself tomorrow. I had a pretty good week although I did treat myself to a "break up pizza" on Tuesday which I spread over 3 days. (4 slices Tuesday dinner, 2 slices Wednesday lunch, last 2 slices Thursday lunch).

But overall, nothing that killed my week. Can't wait to see the progress I make. I know it's not going to be overnight and I likely won't see semi-drastic results until mid September or so (i.e. a month from now). I'll probably be losing weight into January 2019 because I have 30+ pounds to drop. Taking the mindset of slow and steady but watching my calories too.

Anyone else went on a lifestyle change/diet post break up? How did it go?

Sugar and salt are killers in weight gain. Pizza is loaded with sugar also burgers as well. They put that into everything you eat. I use less salt and try to reduce sugar and I don't do corn chemical fake sugar either. Avoid Amazon Teas loaded with corn fake chemical sugar. Class Action Law-Suit on that issue as well.

Pretty clear that pizza and burgers aren't weight loss food. Fine to have as treats. I messed up my diet and gym routine this week, too much stress and sadness

Wow OP, nice thread, and nice going losing weight! I'm in the same boat, though not from a breakup.

I've regained everything I've lost in the past years, and I'm now hovering about 25 pounds heavier.

A little over a year ago, I could run a marathon in 3 hours and 45 minutes (about 8:35 minutes per mile).

I have a ways to go, to achieve that again. Baby steps! My new job is also sometime stressful, which doesn't help.

Interestingly, when I did lose weight, I had an unrequited crush on a co-worker. That sucked! But man was I in shape, and it felt good to be in shape, to be the best version of you (I know it's cliche).

Edited by Chris2016

So glad you started this thread Tek! And CONGRATS on the weight loss! Awesome job and keep it up! Feels so good to see those numbers go down!

My bf and I have gained weight since we got together. I used to eat healthy, walk alllll the time. That was all I needed to maintain my weight. He used to eat healthy and jog. But I guess we kind of got in the way of each other's routines. We live together now, so we kind of got on this lazy train.

He feels like s*** about himself, so do I. Kind of self loathing at this point. He's depressed, in quite a rut. I'm ok but really want to shed some pounds. I think he feels worse though because he gained more than I did considering he works from home, sitting at his desk all day. My job requires me to zip around the unit all night so I'm getting some steps in at least.

I think we're just both enabling each other at this point. He says he wants to go to the gym, I have a pass that allows me to take a guest but we never end up going...no idea why. I always ask him to take walks with me. I can lose 20lbs just by walking 3 times a week for 2 months. But he never wants to walk with me. Sometimes I'll go by myself. I really want to start my walking routine again but ughhh...I need a push!!! And so does he!

He says he wants to go to the gym, I have a pass that allows me to take a guest but we never end up going...no idea why.

Are either of you interested in gym classes? Are there any at your gym? I find that having a set time to be there helps to get me there. Do you two have much spare time through the week where you are both free?

In April of 2017 I was 220 lbs. I am now 197 lbs as of Oct 2018. The weight really came off a lot for me was Intermitten fasting. So I eat in an 8 hour window. I bounce between 12 to 16 hrs of not eating. Drink water and the weight has come off slow, but a lot more with Intermitten fasting way more than anything else I have done.

I work out at least 5 x a week. It may not be for everyone. It has worked for me and my goal is to go to get to about 160-170 lbs and stay between that, but most likley stay around 170 lbs.

• Like 2