LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

I gained 40 pounds in 11 months. Time to get back to the old me

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2018, 10:31 AM   #16
Established Member

Congrats at the weight loss. It can be invigorating.

One word of advice: Be careful with dropping too many calories. I don't know what your activity levels are like, but at your weight, 2000 calories is pretty close to the lowest you'd wanna get, even with little physical activity.

Losing weight quickly is fun, but if it's done through too much of a caloric deficit, you'll plateau eventually and likely before you get to your ideal body composition. And then, you've already cut calories about as much as you can, and well, things can get out of hand from there.

I say this as someone who's lost a good chunk of weight a few times in my life, and not always in a smart, patient way. The suggested amount of weight loss for most people is 1-2 pounds a week.
Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 10:32 AM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknoe View Post
Hey Smiley thanks and congrats on losing a few yourself. Yes I do have an update. Yesterday was six weeks being single and my weigh in was... 199.5!!!

First time being under 200 in at least six months if not the whole year!

I still enjoy my pizzas and burgers but I track calories and do high intensity interval training four nights a week. Marching toward 165!

Edit: to answer your last question: moderation! All about spreading it out. You can do it!
it's all about portion control and exercise

- Monty Python
alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 3:40 AM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
Congrats at the weight loss. It can be invigorating.

One word of advice: Be careful with dropping too many calories. I don't know what your activity levels are like, but at your weight, 2000 calories is pretty close to the lowest you'd wanna get, even with little physical activity.

Losing weight quickly is fun, but if it's done through too much of a caloric deficit, you'll plateau eventually and likely before you get to your ideal body composition. And then, you've already cut calories about as much as you can, and well, things can get out of hand from there.

I say this as someone who's lost a good chunk of weight a few times in my life, and not always in a smart, patient way. The suggested amount of weight loss for most people is 1-2 pounds a week.
Well I am at 12.5 pounds lost over 6 weeks so I am averaging a little over 2 pounds lost a week. I am definitely not doing anything crazy like under 1,500 calories.
Teknoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 12:09 PM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Well I am at 12.5 pounds lost over 6 weeks so I am averaging a little over 2 pounds lost a week. I am definitely not doing anything crazy like under 1,500 calories.
good job Teknoe, keep it up
Old 22nd September 2018, 12:38 AM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
good job Teknoe, keep it up
Thanks AlphaMale. Will do. I'm doing the long game/lifelong mindset rather than a quick fix crash diet. I'm in no hurry to get to 165... I think 5 months to lose 35 pounds or so would be a safe and doable goal. 20 weeks to lose 35 puts me at about 1.75 pounds lost a week. I've got my eye on Valentines Day 2019 but I won't kick myself if I don't get to 165 by then. I know it's going to happen. Just a matter of when.

Key is enjoying the journey and celebrating the small victories.
Old 24th September 2018, 1:45 AM   #21
Established Member

Quote:
These past 11 months I was in a relationship with a girlfriend who was an absolute foodie. I picked up some bad eating habits but it's certainly my fault as well. Anyway, we broke up (mutual) as of last week and in the week I've been single, I can already feel a difference just by eating right and exercising. I went from 180 to 219.... probably tipped over 220 at some point but I was too scared to look after I saw 219. I weighed in at 212 this past Tuesday and will weigh myself tomorrow. I had a pretty good week although I did treat myself to a "break up pizza" on Tuesday which I spread over 3 days. (4 slices Tuesday dinner, 2 slices Wednesday lunch, last 2 slices Thursday lunch).

But overall, nothing that killed my week. Can't wait to see the progress I make. I know it's not going to be overnight and I likely won't see semi-drastic results until mid September or so (i.e. a month from now). I'll probably be losing weight into January 2019 because I have 30+ pounds to drop. Taking the mindset of slow and steady but watching my calories too.

Anyone else went on a lifestyle change/diet post break up? How did it go?
Sugar and salt are killers in weight gain. Pizza is loaded with sugar also burgers as well. They put that into everything you eat. I use less salt and try to reduce sugar and I don't do corn chemical fake sugar either. Avoid Amazon Teas loaded with corn fake chemical sugar. Class Action Law-Suit on that issue as well.
Age doesn't matter, but Love does matter! Which love it's the magical one "I love you" also I am in love with you" More powerful than anyone age! If you really love that person you are so interested in you would move heavens and mountains to reach them!'
coolheadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2018, 7:31 AM   #22
Established Member

Pretty clear that pizza and burgers aren't weight loss food. Fine to have as treats. I messed up my diet and gym routine this week, too much stress and sadness
smiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2018, 10:46 PM   #23
Established Member

Wow OP, nice thread, and nice going losing weight! I'm in the same boat, though not from a breakup.

I've regained everything I've lost in the past years, and I'm now hovering about 25 pounds heavier.

A little over a year ago, I could run a marathon in 3 hours and 45 minutes (about 8:35 minutes per mile).

I have a ways to go, to achieve that again. Baby steps! My new job is also sometime stressful, which doesn't help.

Interestingly, when I did lose weight, I had an unrequited crush on a co-worker. That sucked! But man was I in shape, and it felt good to be in shape, to be the best version of you (I know it's cliche).

Last edited by Chris2016; 27th September 2018 at 10:49 PM..
Chris2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2018, 11:03 PM   #24
Established Member

So glad you started this thread Tek! And CONGRATS on the weight loss! Awesome job and keep it up! Feels so good to see those numbers go down!

My bf and I have gained weight since we got together. I used to eat healthy, walk alllll the time. That was all I needed to maintain my weight. He used to eat healthy and jog. But I guess we kind of got in the way of each other's routines. We live together now, so we kind of got on this lazy train.

He feels like s*** about himself, so do I. Kind of self loathing at this point. He's depressed, in quite a rut. I'm ok but really want to shed some pounds. I think he feels worse though because he gained more than I did considering he works from home, sitting at his desk all day. My job requires me to zip around the unit all night so I'm getting some steps in at least.

I think we're just both enabling each other at this point. He says he wants to go to the gym, I have a pass that allows me to take a guest but we never end up going...no idea why. I always ask him to take walks with me. I can lose 20lbs just by walking 3 times a week for 2 months. But he never wants to walk with me. Sometimes I'll go by myself. I really want to start my walking routine again but ughhh...I need a push!!! And so does he!
Disillusionment373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 6:52 AM   #25
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disillusionment373 View Post
He says he wants to go to the gym, I have a pass that allows me to take a guest but we never end up going...no idea why.
Are either of you interested in gym classes? Are there any at your gym? I find that having a set time to be there helps to get me there. Do you two have much spare time through the week where you are both free?
smiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2018, 2:45 AM   #26
Established Member

In April of 2017 I was 220 lbs. I am now 197 lbs as of Oct 2018. The weight really came off a lot for me was Intermitten fasting. So I eat in an 8 hour window. I bounce between 12 to 16 hrs of not eating. Drink water and the weight has come off slow, but a lot more with Intermitten fasting way more than anything else I have done.

I work out at least 5 x a week. It may not be for everyone. It has worked for me and my goal is to go to get to about 160-170 lbs and stay between that, but most likley stay around 170 lbs.
Mysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2018, 2:41 AM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disillusionment373 View Post
So glad you started this thread Tek! And CONGRATS on the weight loss! Awesome job and keep it up! Feels so good to see those numbers go down!

My bf and I have gained weight since we got together. I used to eat healthy, walk alllll the time. That was all I needed to maintain my weight. He used to eat healthy and jog. But I guess we kind of got in the way of each other's routines. We live together now, so we kind of got on this lazy train.

He feels like s*** about himself, so do I. Kind of self loathing at this point. He's depressed, in quite a rut. I'm ok but really want to shed some pounds. I think he feels worse though because he gained more than I did considering he works from home, sitting at his desk all day. My job requires me to zip around the unit all night so I'm getting some steps in at least.

I think we're just both enabling each other at this point. He says he wants to go to the gym, I have a pass that allows me to take a guest but we never end up going...no idea why. I always ask him to take walks with me. I can lose 20lbs just by walking 3 times a week for 2 months. But he never wants to walk with me. Sometimes I'll go by myself. I really want to start my walking routine again but ughhh...I need a push!!! And so does he!

The best thing is to just do it, not talk about it. Next chance you get, grab his hand and tell him "Honey we're going to the gym."

It's always the first step that is hardest!

Quick update: still dropping the weight slowly but surely. Down to 196 as of last week. Went on vacation this past week so probably put on a few but not beating myself up. Gonna get back on track today!
Old 15th October 2018, 10:00 AM   #28
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
In April of 2017 I was 220 lbs. I am now 197 lbs as of Oct 2018. The weight really came off a lot for me was Intermitten fasting. So I eat in an 8 hour window. I bounce between 12 to 16 hrs of not eating. Drink water and the weight has come off slow, but a lot more with Intermitten fasting way more than anything else I have done.

I work out at least 5 x a week. It may not be for everyone. It has worked for me and my goal is to go to get to about 160-170 lbs and stay between that, but most likley stay around 170 lbs.
how tall are you Mysterio?
Old 15th October 2018, 6:24 PM   #29
Established Member

Quote:
These past 11 months I was in a relationship with a girlfriend who was an absolute foodie. I picked up some bad eating habits but it's certainly my fault as well. Anyway, we broke up (mutual) as of last week and in the week I've been single, I can already feel a difference just by eating right and exercising. I went from 180 to 219.... probably tipped over 220 at some point but I was too scared to look after I saw 219. I weighed in at 212 this past Tuesday and will weigh myself tomorrow. I had a pretty good week although I did treat myself to a "break up pizza" on Tuesday which I spread over 3 days. (4 slices Tuesday dinner, 2 slices Wednesday lunch, last 2 slices Thursday lunch).

But overall, nothing that killed my week. Can't wait to see the progress I make. I know it's not going to be overnight and I likely won't see semi-drastic results until mid September or so (i.e. a month from now). I'll probably be losing weight into January 2019 because I have 30+ pounds to drop. Taking the mindset of slow and steady but watching my calories too.

Anyone else went on a lifestyle change/diet post break up? How did it go?
Yeah I had this happen as well I was 190 and hit 249 with current GF. I getting it off down to 232 now.. I not eating what she eats she's out of town now I workout and eat right. I drink tea that loosens the weight also freeze my stomach too.
coolheadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2018, 1:20 AM   #30
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolheadal View Post
Yeah I had this happen as well I was 190 and hit 249 with current GF. I getting it off down to 232 now.. I not eating what she eats she's out of town now I workout and eat right. I drink tea that loosens the weight also freeze my stomach too.
Nice, good job bro keep it up. Take it from me... excessive weight gain can kill relationships. Even if your GF is slow to come on board, if you continue to make positive changes she'll notice it and either be inspired to join you or you guys will grow apart. Regardless, you'll be taking care of yourself and that's the most important thing.